Exemption from Music Lessons in Primary School

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Exemption from Music Lessons in Primary School

Postby waiyean » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Has any parents here tried to get exemption from your child's primary school music lessons? Reason is, the lessons in the school are going at a very slow pace, my child is totally bored during class. Is there any value in letting child continue these music lessons in primary school? If you have tried, were you successful?

Trying to get some feedback here first before trying. TIA!

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Exemption from Music Lessons in Primary School

Postby sleepy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Just curious, what will your dd be doing when not attending music lessons with the rest of her classmates?

I recall they learned some fun stuff like ukulele. Many classmates are taking private music lessons. Teacher surveyed them verbally at beginning of the year.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:02 pm

maybe ask Music Tr to arrange some guitar or ukulele, hand bell or aunklung music lessons, to let kids learn an instrument, better

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby waiyean » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:02 pm

sleepy wrote:Just curious, what will your dd be doing when not attending music lessons with the rest of her classmates?

I recall they learned some fun stuff like ukulele. Many classmates are taking private music lessons. Teacher surveyed them verbally at beginning of the year.

Lol, that question crossed my mind too. Learning another "fun" instrument as suggested by phtthp is a good idea, alternatively since her CCA is string ensemble, she can go music room to practise her violin, or she can spend that time doing her music theory homework, or revise other school work, or just simply take a rest.

It will be nice if primary schools can differentiate the music knowledge of the students and cater to different groups accordingly, rather than teach them in one big group.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby huaywenandkenneth » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:28 am

Primary schools nowadays have pretty exciting stuff for music lessons (though not all the terms though). My eldest did keyboard, guitar, cornet, and I think boomwhackers. I am looking forward to these for my younger two. The stuff in his music lessons I supposed will be too easy for him too, but he didn't "complain".

However, bearing in mind that the lesson is short (often about 30min), I seriously doubt it's worth the hassle getting "exemption". It may be more prudent to use the time to enjoy the music making (and the aircon in the music room), and to help friends who may not fully understand the music lesson.

When I was a student, I was the class pianist (so this could be a role you can suggest to the music teacher).
When I was teaching, I tried to pair the more musically inclined child with one with little or no music background (eg when I was teaching keyboard). It is very difficult to cater to all in a general music class, as much as the teacher would like to, except through the activities assigned.

huaywenandkenneth
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:41 am

It's just 30 min...take it as a break from academic lessons.
After all, it doesn't require much strenuous exercise compared to PE.
My daughter does enjoy the handbells and ukulele.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama