wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby kidzo galore » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:43 pm

Dear mummies n daddies

can i have some advice?

how should i proceed on if i wan to take my kiddo out of after yamaha grade 7?

kidzo galore
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby waiyean » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:10 am

Maybe if you explain why you want to take kids out of Yamaha grade 7, the forumers here can advise you better.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby kidzo galore » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:46 pm

well. Yamaha is not offering ABRSM. understand to reach teacher grade need Abrsm?

actually m a bit blur on this whole thingy

kidzo galore
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby waiyean » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:31 am

Is your kid training to be a music teacher? I am assuming it's piano as you didn't mention what instrument.
You generally need a diploma to be able to teach. To take ABRSM exams, you can register your kid for the exams yourself.

Outside of Yamaha, you can either join a music school that has teachers familiar with teaching ABRSM syllabus, or you can have a private teacher to guide your kid.

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby kidzo galore » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:00 am

tq wai yean

yes m looking at piano. u know of any good n patient puano teachers?

kidzo galore
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby Dreamaurora » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 pm

kidzo galore wrote:well. Yamaha is not offering ABRSM. understand to reach teacher grade need Abrsm?

actually m a bit blur on this whole thingy


All the exam boards offer Teaching Diplomas, though ABRSM's is by far the most popular one.

You will find that generally a lot of teachers in Singapore will only have grade 8 in the instrument they want to teach. But IMO, to seriously teach, a teacher needs to have at least a Diploma in Performance and Teaching.

Yamaha's grade 3 is equivalent to ABRSM's grade 8. So another alternative for you is to continue all the way to Yamaha grade 3 and then perhaps take one of the Trinity Diplomas since they have no prior requirements. But if you plan your kid to be a piano teacher, it may be good idea to subject her to at least a few ABRSM exams so in the future she will have an idea how those exams go and hence able to prepare students for them.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am
Total Likes: 34


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby radiantmum » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Shouldnt it be yamaha grade 5 is equivalent to abrsm grade 8?! Yamaha teacher min hiring criteria is abrsm grade 8 or yamaha grade 5 i thot?

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:36 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby Dreamaurora » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:22 am

radiantmum wrote:Shouldnt it be yamaha grade 5 is equivalent to abrsm grade 8?! Yamaha teacher min hiring criteria is abrsm grade 8 or yamaha grade 5 i thot?


According to Yamaha, yes, supposedly Yamaha Grade 5 is equivalent to ABRSM Grade 7-8. Unlike ABRSM though, from grade 5 upwards, Yamaha does not have any set repertoire list other than a compulsory contemporary Japanese piece. So candidate for grade 5 Yamaha can choose any piece as long it's deemed substantial enough.

I purchased the complete set of the repertoire books for Yamaha Grade 6-9. And judging by the standard of pieces set for grade 6 Yamaha, I don't think grade 5 is close to grade 8 yet. Majority of pieces set for grade 6 Yamaha are mainly pieces that are normally set for ABRSM Grade 4-5, with some puzzling choices of easier pieces that are found in grade 2-3 ABRSM.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am
Total Likes: 34


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby radiantmum » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:48 am

Oic. I dunno anythg abt music to comment. I doubt sch will set lower qualifications just cos it's yamaha trained? What i oso know is grades is not everythg. i have seen some abrsm grade 8 students just only able to play the few exam pcs well only :shrug: but generally yamaha students can anytime play a song just by hearing or at least those that i came across. Haha sorry i v shallow. In any case most yamaha students oso take abrsm concurrently n from my kid's batch, some already finished grade 8 before p6 n they say not that difficult just need practise. Gosh.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:36 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: wat happens after Yamaha grade 7

Postby waiyean » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
radiantmum wrote:Shouldnt it be yamaha grade 5 is equivalent to abrsm grade 8?! Yamaha teacher min hiring criteria is abrsm grade 8 or yamaha grade 5 i thot?


According to Yamaha, yes, supposedly Yamaha Grade 5 is equivalent to ABRSM Grade 7-8. Unlike ABRSM though, from grade 5 upwards, Yamaha does not have any set repertoire list other than a compulsory contemporary Japanese piece. So candidate for grade 5 Yamaha can choose any piece as long it's deemed substantial enough.

I purchased the complete set of the repertoire books for Yamaha Grade 6-9. And judging by the standard of pieces set for grade 6 Yamaha, I don't think grade 5 is close to grade 8 yet. Majority of pieces set for grade 6 Yamaha are mainly pieces that are normally set for ABRSM Grade 4-5, with some puzzling choices of easier pieces that are found in grade 2-3 ABRSM.

Is that because Yamaha's exam system is such that the difficulty goes in descending grade number?
http://www.yamaha-mf.or.jp/english/grade/

waiyean
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm
Total Likes: 6



Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama