School Band -Instrument Types

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

School Band -Instrument Types

Postby Poonie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 am

Hi

My P2 child has been allocated concert band for CCA. Need some advice on the instrument type that she should choose. Anyone out there who has been in concert band can help? The instrument types available in their school band are: flute, trumpet, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, percussion, french horn, tuba, euphonium and saxaphone. If given a choice I hope she can take up something that be soothing and pleasant to the ears, will not cause physical pain especially during the initial months and useful for DSA. Hope kiasu masters out there can help this kiasu mum here. Thanks. :salute:

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poonie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi

Let me try once more. :)

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi,

Definitely not a master but my P3 also joins the band CCA. She joined while she is in P2. In their case, it's not what they want but rather they are allocated by the instructor to take on certain instrument. I don't know what is the basis of that.

She is learning the trumpet. She has moved from one to another within the trumpet family.... gosh my memory is failing and I can't remember the name.

She does bring her trumpet home and I personally thought that was loud. My niece (Sec 3) is in the school band and also playing trumpet and she enjoys it.

Yes... after she joined, I am now thinking in the line of DSA in the future as a backup plan especially if she makes it to school band in the future.

But heard from her enrichment class teacher who has a student who joined some sec school via DSA based on her school band experience. Band is time consuming, there are alot of performance and also now that she is in sec school, she would like to move to other CCAs but she can't as she was selected for DSA due to her band experience. In our case, my P3 seems to be enjoying herself and is looking forward to performing in Istana and overseas so we just let her be for now.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby csb » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi MMM,

I'm wondering if I should let ds go for concert band, as he's been given a list of CCAs that are available. Do you know if the kids can state their preference? Also, have you heard of kids leaving the CCA if they don't like the instrument assigned? Thanks.

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Poonie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:08 pm

MMM wrote:Hi,

Definitely not a master but my P3 also joins the band CCA. She joined while she is in P2. In their case, it's not what they want but rather they are allocated by the instructor to take on certain instrument. I don't know what is the basis of that.

She is learning the trumpet. She has moved from one to another within the trumpet family.... gosh my memory is failing and I can't remember the name.

She does bring her trumpet home and I personally thought that was loud. My niece (Sec 3) is in the school band and also playing trumpet and she enjoys it.

Yes... after she joined, I am now thinking in the line of DSA in the future as a backup plan especially if she makes it to school band in the future.

But heard from her enrichment class teacher who has a student who joined some sec school via DSA based on her school band experience. Band is time consuming, there are alot of performance and also now that she is in sec school, she would like to move to other CCAs but she can't as she was selected for DSA due to her band experience. In our case, my P3 seems to be enjoying herself and is looking forward to performing in Istana and overseas so we just let her be for now.

MMM

Thanks for your tips. Did your child complain of pain (mouth or jaw) during the initial months?

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby metz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm

For my son's school, once the child is selected for grooming, parents have to sign a contract agreeing that the child will stay with the band till he/she leaves the school (PSLE).

Does any other school have such contracts?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Poonie wrote: Did your child complain of pain (mouth or jaw) during the initial months?

No, she didn't. She appeared to have enjoyed herself as her instructor said that she can blow well.... so she kept "practising" with the balloons,etc....

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:55 pm

chamonix wrote:For my son's school, once the child is selected for grooming, parents have to sign a contract agreeing that the child will stay with the band till he/she leaves the school (PSLE).

Does any other school have such contracts?

No. What happen if decides to drop out? Must compensate $?
Not realistic to restrict children since their interests are usually fleeting.

csb wrote: Do you know if the kids can state their preference? Also, have you heard of kids leaving the CCA if they don't like the instrument assigned? Thanks.

My dd states her preference. If not assigned to the instrument then I suppose she can choose not to join that CCA. She has been switching instruments. Took guzheng last year, cello this year :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Poonie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

csb

I think it depends on the school. Like my kids' school which inculcates perseverance, will discourage the kids from dropping out of any CCA in the middle of the year. They would like to see the kids finishing the whole year. However as parents we should know better why our kids want to drop out. If the reason is not valid then we should tell our kids to 'finish the race' however if it is other very valid reasons then you can speak to the teacher in charge and I am sure the teacher should allow him to drop out midway.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby metz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am

sleepy wrote:
No. What happen if decides to drop out? Must compensate $?
Not realistic to restrict children since their interests are usually fleeting.

Sleepy,

Honestly, I don't know what kind of compensation the school is looking at. Perhaps, it is just basing on mutual trust and hope the parents w Till consider and commit to the programme wholeheartedly. Once selected, the child will be given formal training in Music Theory, Practical and Aural Training. Even for the selected P1s, they are expected to put in 2 days (2 hours/day) every week for band practise. Personally, I feel that calls for a lot of committment for both sides, the school and the child.

On the other hand, the possibility of a child gaining his/her choice sec school via DSA as a band member is pretty good. Some parents may want to consider it seriously.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama