Home piano lesson

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Home piano lesson

Postby redrose » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi

Can someone tell me how long does a child need to learn before she gets to grade 1. How do I know how good is the piano teacher?From beginners to grade 5, how many yrs does it take? what is the fastest rate?

redrose
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Home piano lesson

Postby mumwgals » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:47 am

redrose wrote:Hi

Can someone tell me how long does a child need to learn before she gets to grade 1.


I would say it depends on the child's age, interest & the parent's involvement, and if the child is dilligent in practising.

redrose wrote:
How do I know how good is the piano teacher?


This is very subjective, it depends on what is your requirements.

redrose wrote:
From beginners to grade 5, how many yrs does it take? what is the fastest rate?


As my answer pertaining to question one. Base on my experience, (I have 2 gals - one 5yo & one 9yo), for my elder gal, she started learning piano just before she started P1, she finished her beginner books in 3mths & proceed to take her grade 2 exam in six mth. She is in P3 now and has aquired her grade 5 theory in Feb this year and just sat for her grade 5 practical exam this mth. So in total from beginners to grade 5, she took 2yrs & 8mos. I started my younger gal at age 4 and she is into the end of her 1st year junior music course with Yamaha. I'm thinking of starting her individual lesson beginning of next year. I would like her to complete from beginner to grade 5 in 3yrs time. But that is just my planning, it still has to depends on her interest & ability.

My elder gal has a couple of piano classmate who is in P1 but already taking grade 5 exam.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby redrose » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Wow, that's fast for yr girl. My girl just started piano lesson one month ago from home.she said it's very easy to play. She practised everyday.But I know nothing about music and her teacher did not talk to me about anything too. And I do not want to waste time,if she's able to get a grade, why not?My girl is in P2 now, I thought might as well let her get as many grade before she sits for PSLE.

redrose
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby mumwgals » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm

redrose wrote: I thought might as well let her get as many grade before she sits for PSLE.


Hi redrose,

This is exactly my plans too. Just for your information, if you plan for your dd to take the ABRSM exam, it is not necessary to take the exam grade by grade, you are allow to skip grade but it is advisable to take grade 5 practical exam as it is the inception between the lower grades and the higher grades. There is one condition from ABRSM for taking grade 6 & above practical exam, you must have a pass in grade 5 theory.

Even though ABRSM does not require the child to take the exam grade by grade, it is still better to 'master' the technique for each grade before proceed to the next, just that your child need not register for the exam for every grade. And the basic foundation is every important, do not compromise just for a pass in lower grades. You may want to speak to your piano teacher and let her know of your plans, and see how she can help your dd from there.

If your dd is dilligent in her practise, I'm sure she can make it. But then again, learning music is not just to chase after the grades, so the parents must be able to keep the interest high in the child beside encouraging her to persue for the grades. :wink:

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Home Piano Lesson

Postby proudmum » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:35 am

Don't get mesmerised just because the child could pass the piano exams at an early age. Honestly, a child whose music education is only focused on passing exams would be limited in his musical ability. Ask yourself why do u want your child to get thru the exams at the fastest pace? To satisfy yourself? It isn't difficult to pass the exams as the child only needs to memorise the 3 exam pieces well. An examiner once told me - we can tell if the child's music education is merely focus on passing exams or if the child is truely musical from the way he played the sight-reading section.

I have nephew and niece who completed grade 8 before PSLE and thereafter they stop playing the piano. Why? Before, mummy only wanted them to focus on exams. These children are NOT musical, has not really learnt to appreciate music and the piece of grade 8 is not of any use to them at such a young age.

Do not worry about passing exams, if u truely want a music education for your child. Let the child play as many pieces as possible, let him explore and enjoy music. Along the way, he would sit for exams and pass them with flying colors as he travel along the beautiful world of music. Only then, would music adds to his life.

proudmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:59 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby caroline3sg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 am

mumwgals & proudmum
Do you have any good piano teacher to recommend? I stay at CCK.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Home Piano Lesson

Postby gajidouma » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 am

proudmum wrote:Don't get mesmerised just because the child could pass the piano exams at an early age. Honestly, a child whose music education is only focused on passing exams would be limited in his musical ability. Ask yourself why do u want your child to get thru the exams at the fastest pace? To satisfy yourself? It isn't difficult to pass the exams as the child only needs to memorise the 3 exam pieces well. An examiner once told me - we can tell if the child's music education is merely focus on passing exams or if the child is truely musical from the way he played the sight-reading section.

I have nephew and niece who completed grade 8 before PSLE and thereafter they stop playing the piano. Why? Before, mummy only wanted them to focus on exams. These children are NOT musical, has not really learnt to appreciate music and the piece of grade 8 is not of any use to them at such a young age.

Do not worry about passing exams, if u truely want a music education for your child. Let the child play as many pieces as possible, let him explore and enjoy music. Along the way, he would sit for exams and pass them with flying colors as he travel along the beautiful world of music. Only then, would music adds to his life.


Thank you for the sharing. Well said.

gajidouma
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:49 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Home Piano Lesson

Postby mumwgals » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:11 pm

proudmum wrote:I have nephew and niece who completed grade 8 before PSLE and thereafter they stop playing the piano. Why? Before, mummy only wanted them to focus on exams. These children are NOT musical, has not really learnt to appreciate music and the piece of grade 8 is not of any use to them at such a young age.


That's really sad. But it's the norm now a days. With the busy schedule when one gets into secondary, jc & university or eventually comes out to work in the society. I have friends who played piano from 3 yo to 18yo & eventually gave up when they entered university, infact, most of them gave up during their 'O' level yr, they stopped at grade 5, 6 or 7. Every few actually play the piano even on a weekly basic. Ofcourse unless one is into making studying music as their career.

Graded exam is just a gauge for one to see if they can achieve the require technique from the individual grade, as least this is how I told my child. It's not difficult to get a pass from the exam but it sure to take alot of effort from the child & parent to have the discipline & determination to follow thru the 8 grades. Appreciation of music comes from embracing the child with lots of loves, encouragement and providing them with an environment of instilling music as part of their growing up years. :wink:

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby mumwgals » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:19 pm

caroline3sg wrote:mumwgals & proudmum
Do you have any good piano teacher to recommend? I stay at CCK.


Hi caroline3sg,

My gal's teacher is staying in the east and she does not travel to student's place.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby May » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi mumwgal

Am looking for a music teacher for my son. Which part in the East? Could you pass me the contact?

May
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 12:27 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama