Music school or Pte Piano teachers

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Music school or Pte Piano teachers

Postby nettie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 am

Hi All,

Anybody tried? which one is better? For a beignners 5 yr old boy? :?

Any comments?

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jce » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:49 am

Music school you'd have the option of sending your child for a group class. Pros and cons there - learning as a group can be fun for a child; using a keyboard rather than a piano can be more interesting as the child can explore different sounds; Yamaha (if you choose the school) provides a good ear training foundation; the child may be given the opportunity to explore percussion instruments (schools generally have more of these resources). However, in a group setting, some children may be neglected so either one will be left behind (if learning is slow) or far ahead (if learning is fast); teaching method may not be suitable for the child (generally a pte teacher can more or less adapt to the child's learning habit).

Personally, I think if you choose your pte teacher wisely and get the "right" one, your son would be able to enjoy and reap the benefits of having 1-1 lesson.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Petlover » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:18 am

I agreed with jce. Group classes usually are more fun for most of the kids because they could learn and play games together, and they have their peers to compete with. I found that group lesson usually have more teaching aids ( like flash cards, games, different instruments ) and better curriculum than going for private teachers. It's a good place to start with and gradually develop your kid's interest in music, until the point that he's ready, wants to progress faster or have more private tuition time with the teacher, then he can switch to private.

Petlover
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby nettie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:41 pm

my boy is attending Christor group lesson level 1.. the teacher told me that he is progressing very well and ask me to proceed to 1 to 1 lesson instead.

I am still hesitating.He is going to finish level 1 this sat..

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Personally, I feel that if it's for young child, it might be good to join a group lesson first before proceeding to individual lesson.

My k1 started with Kawai music playstation last year. She is supposed to complete the course this year with keyboard skills. She can subsequently move to individual piano lesson.

Due to clash of timing, we recently switch our dd1 from music school to individual lesson. The teacher has been here twice and dd1 likes her. We are monitoring as if she is good, we will intend to switch ds as well out of convenience.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Petlover » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm

What I did last time was gradually shifting my dd from group to individual lessons. There was a short period of time that she was doing both group and individual. I found it gave me more flexibility as I could switch back to group lesson or even joining both until the end of the group class...

Petlover
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama