Where to find clsses on presentation and debating skills?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Where to find clsses on presentation and debating skills?

Postby relaxedmom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi, I have a son who is always shy to speak up and generally lack the articulation skills. I have tried enrolling him in speech and drama classes (in fact, tried many centres) but realised that he doesn't like them. He said that he finds acting very silly :( I know that presentation skills and debating skills (how one can hold their own opinion and articulate them) are becoming increasingly important. Hence I've been looking around for classes that conducts this kind of training to upper primary kids. But no luck so far. It is either straight-forward English academic classes or speech and drama type.

Maybe some enlightened parents in this forum would know of such classes? Can share? Thanks so much.

relaxedmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby foreverj » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:48 pm

hi relaxedmom,

sorry not able to help in terms of the classes available, other than speech and drama. have u checked out british council? i know they conduct presentation skills classes for adults.

i personally believe such skills is a result of a self-assured and confident kid who reads widely and likes to ask questions and challenge answers. maybe, if u can't find the classes u want, u can try encouraging your son to develop further in these areas instead? as a start, u may want to try to encourage him to read aloud newspaper articles. freq reading wil improve articulation.

hope this helps.

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby relaxedmom » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 am

Hi foreverj,

thanks for the tips you have offered. You are right in that he needs to cultivate more confidence in his speech, and frankly, reading is not so much a problem with him. It's more putting forth your arguments, having clarity in speech etc. Hence I thought brushing up on his presentation skills or even debating skills would help tremendously.

I have signed him up for British Council course before. Just last year, during the holidays, they organised a holiday course on speaking up. It was not too bad, but it was just a short 5 days course, so can't see much improvement :|

thanks again anyway. I will continue my hunt :lol: and at the same time, try to get him to "argue" with me a bit more....haha... :idea:

relaxedmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 am

What about Julia Gabriel? I am not sure about debate but do they have such presentation course.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby joconde » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 am

In british council's regular english class, the kids are actually encouraged to speak up and interact actively. So i think it will help. I know of one girl who used to be shy and quiet, opens up a lot after attending BC's english class. She's in upper primary level.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby foreverj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:08 pm

relaxedmom wrote:Hi foreverj,

thanks for the tips you have offered. You are right in that he needs to cultivate more confidence in his speech, and frankly, reading is not so much a problem with him. It's more putting forth your arguments, having clarity in speech etc. Hence I thought brushing up on his presentation skills or even debating skills would help tremendously.

I have signed him up for British Council course before. Just last year, during the holidays, they organised a holiday course on speaking up. It was not too bad, but it was just a short 5 days course, so can't see much improvement :|

thanks again anyway. I will continue my hunt :lol: and at the same time, try to get him to "argue" with me a bit more....haha... :idea:

that's great! the right learning attitude (as in the "arguing" part lol) is a great start! btw how old is your son? just dawned on me that u need maturity of thought to handle the putting forth argument portion. JG is a good idea too - may want to check out what they offer. i find that u need some time b4 can see positive results for such classes so do be patient! :D

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby relaxedmom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks so much, MMM, joconde and foreverj. I didn't know that Julia Gabriel offers presentation courses, I will check it out in a second :lol:

As for British council, yup, maybe it's in-built into their courses where kids are encouraged to speak up - I will think about it....but ever since I tried him out for the holiday programmes, I am quite "sian" by their parking policy...very stressed by it. Cannot park more than 10 minutes (?), otherwise have to pay a huge fine.

Thanks, everyone. Will check out JG and let you know! :D

relaxedmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama