Need some advice on damages done to piano by tuner

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Need some advice on damages done to piano by tuner

Postby busy_mummy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 am

Hi everyone,

Need some advice here. I just bought a brand new Yamaha U3 piano 2 months ago. Recently, a Yamaha tuner drop by my place for the 1st free tuning. After he left, I realised that the corner of the piano was chipped off and the area affected is about the size of a 10-20 cents coin. I called the tuner and he admitted that he does knock against the piano, but doesn't realised that the corner of the piano was chipped off. He offers to call the Yamaha technical centre and bear the cost to patch up the chipped off portion.

Just wondering in this case, should we request for an exchange to another brand new piano, esp when the piano is only 2 months old. Supposed the patch up will not restore the piano to the original condition and not sure if it will affect the resale value (if we are going to sell it away sometime later). Another point we are worried about is that although we see the chipped portion clearly on the external, will the piece of wood that knocks against the piano be chipped off too and might not be visible on the external (since we don't know how to open up the piano to inspect).

Sigh, what rotten luck...just thinking anyone had the same experience before and what has been done...

busy_mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Busymummy,

The chip, from what I gather based on your description, shouldn't affect anything internally so no harm caused to the piano in terms of sound and quality. However, it has caused damage externally in terms of appearance, so to a certain extent it will cause a drop in resale value (just like a vehicle with scratches). As far as I know whatever patch-up done will not be able to cover up the chip totally, as in it will be noticeable to the eye as it's lacquer. My friend had the same problem but hers was with the movers when she moved the piano. The movers knocked her piano against somewhere and caused a chip at the top corner of the piano. When she consulted the movers as well as her contractor, they both said it can't be restored fully cos it's lacquer.

As for requesting for a BN piece, not sure whether Yamaha would do a complete replacement as it does not cause any internal damage to the piano. They'd probably say that a patch-up is good enough...But there's no harm asking, if they're willing to replace, of course you should do so.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby busy_mummy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks for the reply jce. I also think that the internal of the piano should not be affected. But with the obvious chip on the external, quite sure the resale value will be affected if we are going to sell the piano in the future.

Think I will press for a BN one for exchange as the piano is still new under warranty and we are not even talking about moving it. Would have expected their inhouse tuner to be more careful in handling piano esp when yamaha requested all tuning to be done by their inhouse tuner for the full 6 yrs under warranty. Think it is really a standalone accident as non of the friends I know ever experience tuner causing damage so badly to the exterior of the piano when I show them the photos taken.

busy_mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 pm

This is also the first time I've heard of such an incident by a TUNER. FYI, the in-house tuning done under waranty, Yamaha will normally send out the "basic technicians" ie freshman, those needing the experience. When you start PAYING, then they'll send the better ones. Having said that, I prefer to source for my own tuner. When I bought my U5, I had their in-house tuner tuned once and that was it. He just didn't tune it properly...

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby windows » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 am

mine was tuned by yamaha tuner as well, and there is thing tingling sound when ds played on the some of the notes...but as we are all not musically trained, not sure if i was juz sensitive. if we ask yamaha to send the tuner to check, this will be considered as the 2nd tuning rt? or shd we just wait for the next tuning which is a few mths time?

windows
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby busy_mummy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi, you might consider calling up yamaha service center and tell them about the sound. Asked if it is consider as another separate tuning, which by right it should be not. But jce is right. Think yamaha sent tuner to tune our piano for the first two free tuning to gain experience. For my tuning, which resulted in the damage, the tuner spent 2 hours at my place. Seems like most experience tuner is taking less than 1 hour at most.

busy_mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:48 pm

How to request for a more experience tuner? I heard they operate by zone. So cannot choose tuner :P

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jce » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am

Sleepy, I guess the answer would be - don't get a tuner through Yamaha, haha! If you have a specific tuner in mind, I'm quite sure can request. Otherwise Yamaha won't tell you who's the more experienced ones and who's not.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby windows » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 pm

but for the warranty to be covered, it has to be tuned by yamaha rt? expensive investment...

windows
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby busy_mummy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:04 pm

Yes, I think so. My understanding is that the warranty will be void if we get non yamaha tuner anytime during the 6yrs of warranty. Seems like depending on our luck, the tuner from yamaha might not be that experience.

busy_mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama