Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.
RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Re: Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill

Post by RoastChickenDance » Sun May 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Handmade Heartmade (Community Sensory Mat Sewing Project)
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/handmade-h ... 9431850264

Joanne25
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Joanne25 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:48 am

A cute DIY project to start with your kids would be sewing buttons. It is just simple and easy and it's really fun! Here's a link for some tutorials.
https://maureencracknellhandmade.blogsp ... s-101.html

kimmy4
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by kimmy4 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 am

Why is it important that we teach kids to sew?
Not only will they be able to sew a button back onto their blouse or jacket, but sewing enables them to create their own custom tailored clothing and apparel that they can show off and be proud of. Many children that learned to sew at an early age, have even gone on to make a career in the fashion industry out of it. Whether your child wants to craft their own doll clothes, or make a beautiful blanket that will keep them warm during the winter, teaching them to sew now will give them a life skill that they will use forever.

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Gilian039 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am

My daughter started to learn on how to sew her doll's dresses when she was 8 years old. I have noticed that there is a positive impact on her. Aside from she started to harness her skills in sewing, her creativity in design a dress has also develop. Now that she is 10, should I now ask her to sew simple skirt to that will fit on her? Would that be too much to ask her to do that?

jliu76746
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jliu76746 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Gilian039 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am
My daughter started to learn on how to sew her doll's dresses when she was 8 years old. I have noticed that there is a positive impact on her. Aside from she started to harness her skills in sewing, her creativity in design a dress has also develop. Now that she is 10, should I now ask her to sew simple skirt to that will fit on her? Would that be too much to ask her to do that?
That's amazing! I also hope that my daughter will also have the interest and skills in sewing. How did you start teaching her how to do basic stitches? For me, sewing is a practical skill that is useful.

mesami89
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mesami89 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Gilian039 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am
That's really impressive, Gilian, and I believe that you should encourage her - basic skirts are not that tricky (especially sun's, you can make them without a pattern). I've been sewing since I was in my teens, many decades ago. I grew up in a family where sewing was considered a basic "housewife" skill. So I believe it's time and she could try to make bigger projects. Almost any basic level DIY tutorial would work, I guess.
For instance, we are subscribed to MADE Everyday channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVXd951Q8ss
jliu76746 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:28 pm

That's amazing! I also hope that my daughter will also have the interest and skills in sewing. How did you start teaching her how to do basic stitches? For me, sewing is a practical skill that is useful.
Sorry to interrupt, but as for my niece it's all started one Christmas break when I taught her to cross stitch. That was fun! It's simple, it's meditative, also younger kids love the picture they will get in the result. Then she decided to start making clothes for her doll. And that was the time when my sister taught her basic stitches. They made pillows, doll dresses and other basics together - and she loved it, sewing became her hobby.
We ended up buying her a sewing machine for Christmas after that - got her a basic Singer (last year it has a really good price). I also got her a month of sewing classes at a local shop. I only meant for her to take the month, but she loved it and ended up taking classes for 5 months.

But I must say, it largely depends upon the child. Niece was 6 when we started our "lessons", and from ages 5-7ish, they're still getting dexterity, and at the same time, the attention span may still be a bit shorter. Some children can handle it at that age, others cannot. After age 7 and on, those children should have both the dexterity and the attention span, but they also need the inspiration or a reason to do it. Try some basic projects (here are some nice options, just google them!) with you daughter and pay attention to her interest. Everything will be fine as long as she's interested in your lessons!

Pinkfluff
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Pinkfluff » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Anyone knows of sewing classes for kids during holiday period ? My girl is keen but I’m hopeless at it. 😅

CarenL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CarenL » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Pinkfluff wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:27 pm
Anyone knows of sewing classes for kids during holiday period ? My girl is keen but I’m hopeless at it. 😅

Check with Sew Fun
Holiday Sew Fun For Kids!
Learn by Making!
In this basic sewing class that is specially catered for children, participants will exercise their creativity while exploring fabric as a medium for design and creative expression. They will experiment with shapes and colours, be equipped with machine sewing skills, and apply basic mathematical skills relevant to design including spatial reasoning, measuring and numerical calculation.

Pricing (Kids)
$220 for 3 sessions (Apron, Drawstring Pouch/Backpack, Monster Zip Pouch)
$350 for 5 sessions (Apron, Drawstring Pouch/Backpack, Monster Zip Pouch, and Sling Bag)
$480 for 7 sessions (All projects listed)
Pay $100 deposit upfront to confirm your place
We will email you the class options available for you to choose from, as well as the options for transferring the remaining course fee
Cost includes all tools and materials
Pricing (1 Parent + 1 Kid)
$400 for 3 sessions
$650 for 5 sessions
$900 for 7 sessions
Pay $100 deposit upfront to confirm your place
We will email you the class options available for you to choose from, as well as the options for transferring the remaining course fee
Cost includes all tools and materials
For parents who wish to join specific sessions with their kids, the additional cost will be $75/- per session
Class info
REGULAR classes: 2.5 hours x 3/5/7 sessions, held once a week over 7 weeks or thrice a week over 3 weeks (depending on the class schedule)
Participants will complete 5 projects over 7 sessions: Kids' Apron, Drawstring pouch or Drawstring Backpack, Monster Zip Pouch, Sling Bag, and a pair of Beach Shorts or Girls' Dress
We recommend this workshop for kids 8 years old and above
Sew Fun’s Holiday Sew Fun for Kids is a beginner sewing class that offers structured and well-paced lessons, providing the perfect environment for kids to pick up basic sewing skills. Guaranteed to provide much guidance and care, our instructors will progressively equip you with the skills to sew basic bags, pouches, as well as an item of clothing!

At the end of the 7-session workshop, each participant will have made a handy apron for messy days, a drawstring pouch or drawstring backpack for a trip to the beach, a customized zippered pouch, a sling bag that's just the right size for bric-a-brac, beach shorts or an everyday outing dress! Now you're ready to set off on a new adventure ;)

https://uyii.com.sg/products/sew-your-s ... 7481839650

Pinkfluff
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Pinkfluff » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Nice! Thanks for sharing. 😊

kellytang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kellytang » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi, teaching crochet in my shop at pelikat for $15 (2 hours). Interested please pm me at 97906907. Thanks.

Kelly