Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.
karenmok
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

Post by karenmok » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:23 pm

While learning anything new is useful, I would like to seek kiasu comments on whether it is a good idea to spend time and effort and money learning the sign language, particularly when you are not hearing impaired?
I have a couple of colleagues who learnt the sign language, and they say they use it only to communicate it with their hearing impaired family members.
To put it rather bluntly, should I spend my effort learning say Spanish or piano rather than sign language - particularly when my purpose is to learn something that "might come handy someday and challenges my mental faculty today".
Many kiasu thanks,
Karen

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Re: Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:27 am

I would say that learning Spanish or other spoken language is probably more potentially useful as the speaking populations of any major language is probably larger than the sign-language-using population. However, if you have intentions to volunteer in some way among the hearing-impaired, learning sign language would be useful too, and thinking long-term, volunteering is something you could do in your retirement years.

In terms of learning language, learning a foreign language would require you to learn different sounds, grammar and culture, while sign language is not so 'foreign' but requires dexterity.

Learning music is different again, and probably more for personal enjoyment.

Little Loomer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Little Loomer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 am

I personally think that sign language is not a really good idea. I am a student and in school, my art teacher tells us to use sign language as the class usually gets very noisy. But whenever my friends and I do sign language we just get confused. Sign language is hard to understand as people use different signs to tell something. A person new to sign language might get some sign wrong and cause confusion. If you want to use it then go ahead, but I suggest maybe planning what signs will represent a word or sentence. But I think it will be best not to. Unless you have not very much of a choice. :boogie: :shrug:

thrivepsychologyclinic
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by thrivepsychologyclinic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:24 am

Hi everyone!

We at Thrive Psychology Clinic, are pleased to announce that we will be launching our December Holiday workshops, one of which includes Sign Language: Teaching Techniques for Children with Special Needs.

Our fun-filled programmes are guaranteed to also be very educational and have been specially designed and tailored to suit the needs of parents and children in Singapore.

Read on more to find out! :)

Warm Regards,
Thrive Psychology Clinic

Sign Language: Teaching Techniques for Special Needs Children
Sign language, a powerful tool to enhance verbal communication, has been demonstrated to be beneficial to the social, emotional and cognitive development of its child learners. Join us in this workshop to explore the various ways to help children with special needs reach their full potential.
Dates: 15 November or 20 December 2019
Time: 6-8pm (2-hours)
Suitable for: Therapists and Parents with Special Needs Children

To sign up or to view our other December Holiday Workshops, do visit our Facebook Page "Thrive Psychology Clinic", or drop us an email at info@thrivepsychology.com.sg :)

CarenL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CarenL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:52 am

In our case, learning sign language is needed. We had a deaf and mute niece and for her not to feel alone and unhappy, we were asked by her parents to attend sign language class with her. I have also used this skill in doing some charitable work for deaf and mute in Myanmar for a month. Learning sign language will still give you an edge among others who do not know how to do it properly.

AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by AnneS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:26 pm

THE BENEFITS OF LEARNING SIGN LANGUAGE

-Gives Your Brain a Good Workout
-It’s Around Us All the Time
-Introduces You to a New Culture & Community
-Meet New People & Make New Friends
-Improves Your Peripheral Vision & Reaction Time
-Communicate with Babies
-Communicate with Animals
-Boosts Your Communication Skills
-Become Better at Spelling
-Helps You To Become a Better Listener
-You Become More Diverse
-Boosts Your Busiess & Creates More Opportunities
-Becomes Easier to Learn Another New Language
-Improves Your Body Language Skills
-Introduces You to the Issue of Deaf Awareness
-It Can Be Used All the Time
-Be Able to Help When Required
-It’s a Beautiful Language

Read more: https://hearmeoutcc.com/benefits-learni ... -language/

CerlynR
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by CerlynR » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 pm

AnneS wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:26 pm
THE BENEFITS OF LEARNING SIGN LANGUAGE

-Gives Your Brain a Good Workout
-It’s Around Us All the Time
-Introduces You to a New Culture & Community
-Meet New People & Make New Friends
-Improves Your Peripheral Vision & Reaction Time
-Communicate with Babies
-Communicate with Animals
-Boosts Your Communication Skills
-Become Better at Spelling
-Helps You To Become a Better Listener
-You Become More Diverse
-Boosts Your Busiess & Creates More Opportunities
-Becomes Easier to Learn Another New Language
-Improves Your Body Language Skills
-Introduces You to the Issue of Deaf Awareness
-It Can Be Used All the Time
-Be Able to Help When Required
-It’s a Beautiful Language

Read more: https://hearmeoutcc.com/benefits-learni ... -language/

Thank you for sharing these benefits in learning sign language. I am now planning to enrol in a sign language centre.