art schools that teach kids more than just art techniques?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

art schools that teach kids more than just art techniques?

Postby rantamay » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone have any recommendations for art schools that teach kids more than just art techniques? There's one school I've come across called My Art Studio - their lessons are based on this early childhood education theory of multiple intelligences. It helps cultivate other skills through art such as verbal, kinesthetic, rhythm, etc.

I'm looking for other schools similar to what My Art Studio offers. For primary school kids around 7 - 12. Any recommendations?

rantamay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby art_n_i » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi rantamay,

Art and I is one such studio. We know that fine art talent is born and we cannot make an artist out of every child. However, we believe we can bring out some other finer qualities that children are born with and it is not only about intelligence, also certain virtues like focus, patience, meticulosity, expressiveness etc. Until now...whatever art or craft competition my child has won, it is not because of her drawing/painting talent per se but her holistic approach and presentation of her work that represents who she is.

I have not had time to make updates on our blog, but you can see some of our works here:

http://artandistudio.blogspot.com

Just curious, why don't you go for My Art Studio?

art_n_i
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: art schools that teach kids more than just art technique

Postby rantamay » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am

rantamay wrote:Hi there,

Does anyone have any recommendations for art schools that teach kids more than just art techniques? There's one school I've come across called My Art Studio - their lessons are based on this early childhood education theory of multiple intelligences. It helps cultivate other skills through art such as verbal, kinesthetic, rhythm, etc.

I'm looking for other schools similar to what My Art Studio offers. For primary school kids around 7 - 12. Any recommendations?

Are there any kiasu parents out there with recommendations?

rantamay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daddy2007 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 am

My dd is attending this art school called CAVA (creative atelier of the visual arts) at Bt Merah which I shared my experience in the other thread (http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=170)

The teacher, Sherylin, has an art degree and 2 early childhood diplomas, one from UK. I heard her talk about multiple intelligences approach when we first enquired

My nieces (9 & 10) learnt art there when the school were previously in katong. Not sure if they use multiple intelligence for 7-12 coz my girl is 3, but I know their art phonics brochure mention that teaching approach which we are thinking of letting her learn too.

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby blufaeria » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:22 pm

The art classes at The Little Arts Academy is child-centric and allows children to explore, reflect and express themselves and the world around them. There are also opportunities for children to visit galleries and put up exhibitions.

blufaeria
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby maryani » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 am

Another school is abrakadoodle. It was recommended a friend but have yet to sign up. I understand it covers famous artist and their work. You may wanna take a look at their website.
http://www.abrakadoodle.com.sg/index.htm

maryani
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby baglady » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 am

You can also try Art Loft. It's run by my friend's former schoolmate, an artist who also has a masters in early childhood education. They were selected by Singapore Art Museum to run the art classes for kids.

My friend's daughter is taking lessons at their branch in the east and I've heard gd things about it. I'm thinking of sending my boy there when he's a bit older.

baglady
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: art schools that teach kids more than just art technique

Postby mika » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm

You can try out Da Vinci Programme
http://www.dvckid.com/sg

Cheers,
Mika

mika
YellowBelt
YellowBelt