Kit for pressed flower craft

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Kit for pressed flower craft

Postby sharon1234 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:35 am

My dd loves flowers and I am thinking of doing pressed flower craft with her during the school holidays. She wants to press her best friend's favorite flower and make it into a bookmark for her birthday!

anyone knows where to get kit for maintaining colors of flowers and leaves please.... thanks!

sharon1234
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Kit for pressed flower craft

Postby mika » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Found this info on the web, hope it can helps =)

For the most part pressed flowers are able to maintain their natural color for a very long time, but eventually some amount of fading is inevitable (typically after 5-7 years on average). Some may begin to show fading sooner, while others may last longer. But even when fading does occur it is usually minor -- I've never seen a flower completely lose its color (or even come close to that). From my experience I've found that red and yellow flowers normally have a longer expectancy as far as maintaining their original color. Greenery and leaves on the other hand tend to begin showing signs of fading earlier.

One way to help preserve a pressed flower's color is to dye it. A simple way to dye a flower is to buy acrylic color from a local craft store and lightly brush the coloring on the flower you wish to dye. You can also choose to buy pressed flowers that have been pre-dyed with a high quality floral dye (or if you are pressing your own flowers you can apply the floral dye yourself before pressing the flowers). Dyed flowers are able to maintain their color for the longest time. In fact, so long that I have yet to see a dyed flower show any discoloration.

Also it is important to always make sure you use flowers that have been dried and pressed correctly. A properly pressed flower should last years without any problems.

So what's the verdict? I wouldn't worry too much about the fading. Just try to keep the flowers away from excessive sunlight/humidity and use dyed flowers when you need to make sure the colors last, and you should have beautiful flowers that will stay vibrant for years and years to come.

Keep on pressing those flowers

mika
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby phtthp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:07 am

but where to buy the flower kit, to press the flowers ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 am

So far the only place I can find to purchase the kit is online web.

Here is a link that I had found
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Mini-Pressed-Flo ... 0549890548
http://en.item.rakuten.com/yumetairiku/qp3794/

Or you can do it without any kit, this website shows you on how to do it
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/guidepressingflowers

Hope this help =)

mika
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Art & Craft