where to get child safety scissors?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

where to get child safety scissors?

Postby blueblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:29 pm

I read somewhere that there are child safety scissors for young toddlers. I would like my 2 1/2yr to learn cutting. Anyone knows where to get them?

blueblue
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 pm

I thought they are rather easy to find? You can search at Popular and stationery sections of dept stores. Sometimes, if you buy stationery sets, along with the pencil case, pencils and eraser, you may also find a pair of safety scissors.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: where to get child safety scissors?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm

blueblue wrote:I read somewhere that there are child safety scissors for young toddlers. I would like my 2 1/2yr to learn cutting. Anyone knows where to get them?

Yug schellen is right. Easy to find in Popular bookstore. But they are really "wimpy". Can only cut paper - barely.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 pm

schellen wrote:I thought they are rather easy to find? You can search at Popular and stationery sections of dept stores. .

ya...Popular bookstore carries 'regular' safety scissors.
another option is to find those 'spring-back' type of scissors - easier for a toddler to handle (my ds2 end up using 2 hands to handle the regular safety scissors) - i have yet to see them around.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: where to get child safety scissors?

Postby schellen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:13 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:But they are really "wimpy". Can only cut paper - barely.

Yup, very wimpy. And since my gal is physically more mature, she outgrew the "wimpy" scissors literally at about 4, I think. Actually, she had difficulty with it about 3/3+ as the scissors are really so small with tiny holes in the handle part. And she also got frustrated since you can only cut paper with it, and also must cut at a certain angle or else the scissors will crush the paper. In the end, I just bought a normal pair of scissors for her in child size.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blueblue » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:41 pm

I tried to find in Popular before. How do we know it is a child safety scissor? sorry it is my first time finding it so I simply got no clues at all.

blueblue
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:25 pm

blueblue, the scissors will have rounder tips and sometimes, the blades are almost covered by plastic except where it cuts. It looks more bulky than ordinary scissors. The blades are sometimes even made entirely out of plastic; they only have sharp edges inside for cutting. And like what Chief said, sometimes the scissors can only cut paper.

For the last pic (yellow pair), you can just barely see the metal blades behind the yellow plastic.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:01 pm

I got one of those "wimpy" ones for DS at Daiso when he is 2.5 . Very glad I did because he tried to use it to cut my hair :sweat:

He had since find those unsatisfactory and now made my craft scissors (those with different patterns) his. Need to watch out for my hair and things around the house now that he had "upgraded" though.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby buds » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:31 pm

mincy wrote:I got one of those "wimpy" ones for DS at Daiso when he is 2.5 . Very glad I did because he tried to use it to cut my hair :sweat:

He had since find those unsatisfactory and now made my craft scissors (those with different patterns) his. Need to watch out for my hair and things around the house now that he had "upgraded" though.

You can get free stylist haircut in future, mincy! :wink:
Kekekekeh... eh, practise make perfect. Make him pretend
hair from wool to practise his styling techniques. :lol:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:00 pm

ha ha erm..I think I may end up with no hair liao if I encourage that. actually he was trying to imitate me because I tried to role play with him hoping it will cure his fear for going to the barbers but I sure am glad he wasn't using real scissors then.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Art & Craft