Anyone teaching their kids to bake ?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Anyone teaching their kids to bake ?

Postby tamarind » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 pm

[Editor's note: Topic selected and edited for Portal publishing]

I have been baking cupcakes with my kids since my younger boy was 3 years old.

Both my boy(5) and girl(6) are now able to make cupcakes entirely on their own. They measure the flour, sugar, sift the flour, crack the eggs, etc. I only have to help them to turn on the mixer and put the cupcakes into the oven. I let the kids each bake 10 cupcakes each, so that each of them can go through the entire process. My kids love to eat the cupcakes and frosting very much.

Here's the photos of the cupcakes.

Cupcake Recipe:
Butter 150g
Caster Sugar 150g
Self Raising Flour 180g
3 eggs
50 ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy before beating in eggs, one at a time. Fold in half the sifted flour, add milk and vanilla and then fold in the remaining flour. Put into the oven (150 degree Celsius) bake until golden brown.

Chocolate frosting (enough for 2 or 3 cupcakes) :
Butter (25 grams)
Icing sugar (2 big spoons)
Hershey's chocolate powder (2 big spoons)
Milk (1 or 2 big spoons)

Wait for the butter to soften. Then put butter, sugar, chocolate powder in a big bowl and mix with a big spoon, slowly add the milk until it becomes smooth and creamy (don't add all the milk at one go, add slowly until you get the right consistency).

Anyone has any recipe or baking experiences to share ?

I have been trying to bake cookies but the cookies are always a bit too hard and not crispy. Anyone got any tips ?
Last edited by tamarind on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:52 pm

So delicious looking!
Salivating now...
Do you give and deliver
FREE to close KiasuParents
like me... :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

buds wrote:So delicious looking!
Salivating now...
Do you give and deliver
FREE to close KiasuParents
like me... :wink:

The kids made a total of 23 cupcakes ! I have been thinking about how to finish them all. Aiyah if you stay next door to me, I sure deliver a dozen to you :wink:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yerdua » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi,

they look yummy! been wanting to do baking with my boy... :oops:
wat kind of muffin tray to u use? the black or the silver ones? do i need to grease the tray or the cupcake liners?

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tamarind » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 am

Yerdua wrote:Hi,

they look yummy! been wanting to do baking with my boy... :oops:
wat kind of muffin tray to u use? the black or the silver ones? do i need to grease the tray or the cupcake liners?

Hi Yerdua,
We did not use any muffin tray or cupcake liners. I bought the cupcake cups as shown in the photos above. Then simply pour the mixture into it. After eating, just dispose of the cups. We did not grease the cups, but I think it is good to do so. I am too lazy lah.

You can buy the cupcake cups from baking shops like
http://www.b-i-y.com/store.htm

http://www.phoonhuat.com/sto_loc.htm

I bought the cups at a shop at Jurong West.

Very important thing to note : fill the cups to not more than 50%. Otherwise it will spill over.

Also take out the cupcakes immediately when they are cooked, use a toothpick to poke through, once it comes out dry, then the cupcakes are ready.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yerdua » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:05 am

ic! seems easy enuf.....

okie, i'll make a deal to myself to do it this weekend with my boy.... first to supermarket to buy ingrediants....

Thks for the staring this thread to spur me on! :celebrate:

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tamarind » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 am

Yerdua wrote:ic! seems easy enuf.....

okie, i'll make a deal to myself to do it this weekend with my boy.... first to supermarket to buy ingrediants....

Thks for the staring this thread to spur me on! :celebrate:

You are welcome :)

I only know how to bake cupcakes :oops: Hope to learn more from others.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Har, I did it!

Postby Yerdua » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 am

My boy and I baked the cupcakes together as a father's day surprise for my hubby. I followed Taramind's recipe, it was really easy.

I didn't do the chocolate frosting as my hubby and boy was having sore throat. Instead, I spread the cupcakes thinly with kaya and jam. Then my boy poured the colourful sprinkers over them. It was simple and fun for him cos half the time he was licking the sprinkers from the bowl!

As for the wordings, I wrote the letters with a thick marker, cut out and stick them on a toothpicks. I arranged the cupcakes properly and my boy put up the letterings, like playing scamble.

At the end of the day,my hubby thot we bought them at jp, the icing room bakery, my boy was so impressed tt i noe how to bake, he find it so fun and had booked me to do chocolate chip cookies when he recovers from his sore throat. :celebrate:

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

WoW!

Postby buds » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 am

WOW!

Yerdua... these look amazing!
I'm sure it was one sweet
Father's Day Celebration!

I lurve them!

Just lookin' @ the pix makes
me feel like havin' some cakes.

Haiz..

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:10 am

Yerdua,
Your cupcakes are
fantastic !

It's a very good idea to decorate cupcakes with those letters, I would never have thought of it myself. I will definitely try it out with my kids. Thanks so much for sharing. Please do share your cookie recipe. I have been trying many times to bake cookies but they didn't turn out very good.

You have shown that making cupcakes is a good way to encourage children to be more creative :wink:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Art & Craft