What are the crafting activities you can do with your child?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

What are the crafting activities you can do with your child?

Postby soundt2x » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi I would like to do more crafting activities with my child and I would like to seek ideas from some of the parents out here? Thanks!

soundt2x
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: What are the crafting activities you can do with your ch

Postby PhoBIA » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:25 am

Sand art. Origami.....
You can get origami bks from diaso. Easy to follow and young kids will adore you for making it for them. Bigger kids can try reading the instructions by themselves and doing it alone.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 am

How old is your child? Girl or boy?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Wan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 am

Crafting can be thematic. When they were toddlers, I will google for crafts based on the theme. Eg. National Day we do flags, fireworks, Singapore skyline. But I must stock up lotsa craft materials & stationery. We usu start with reading a book on a theme, sing a song related to the theme before starting the craft.

As they are older now (preschooler & pri sch) I just make the art materials available and accessible at home. Unless asked, otherwise I'll leave it to the kids to explore and express their creativity.

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby soundt2x » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:50 am

@ Phobia - I will try out Sand Art. I did it with my students in the past and it was quite fun. Black paper, sand and wet glue should do the trick yeah? Thanks for the idea!

@slmkhoo - I have a daughter and she is turning two next month

@Wan - It's comforting to know that you are providing a platform for your children to explore and be creative. Actually a lot of parents are crafting with their children using the thematic approach. But for now I would like to explore non thematic crafting first. Reason being 1) I believe my daughter school is already covering Art and Craft based on themes 2) I think I will def expose her to thematic learning too when she grows a little older. For now, I would prefer to adopt the Reggio approach (based on her interest and understanding) to engage her in crafting. I would like to seek your opinion on what are the crafting materials that you have stocked up? So far I bought markers, magic pens, crayons, colour pencils, ice-cream sticks, pipe cleaners, chalks, colour paper, A4 paper, construction paper, cellophane paper, glitter stickers, glitters, paint and brushes as well as an easel board from IKEA. For stationary I prepare pencils, training scissor, gluestick and eraser... Any other ideas? Thanks for your idea about the flag and skyline of SG, do sound very interesting and I will try it......and yes I completely agree with you that reading a book and singing based on the theme really helps to build the interest and understanding about the topic :)

Any other parents have other crafting ideas? Thanks in advance :)

soundt2x
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby alng » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 am

Hi, I used to go to this weblink: http://www.dltk-kids.com/ to get craft ideas.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:15 am

You are much more organised and prepared than I was! When my kids were toddlers, I was given a book with toddler activities and we would pick and choose. Mostly scribbling, pasting bits and pieces, folding stuff etc. I am fairly hopeless as art and crafts, so I wasn't much better than my kids (they are much better than I am now - they are teens). We had a lot of fun though. Try looking for books in the libraries for ideas.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby soundt2x » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:09 am

@alng Yes, DLTK is def a very good website for crafting.... I tried the paper mache activity many years ago and it was really fun!

@slmkhoo Thanks! I know there are a lot of crafting ideas in library books but I would like to hear some crafting activities that parents in Singapre have already tried out with their children and I think it's a good ideas for us to share and gain new knowledge from one another.... It's always good to hear from parents what they did with their kids..... Some of these parents, their children are teenagers now so they have vast experience for me to learn from..... My daughter loves scribbling and pasting too :) Hereby sharing some of the activities I did with her so far..... http://babylexin.blogspot.sg/2012/06/mi ... -home.html I read several online blogs for ideas..... Some of their ideas are more suitable for children in other countries because they experience different weather and their culture is different. slmkhoo, I am sure your children enjoy the crafting ideas from the library books, they are usually very fun and colourful :)

soundt2x
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Wan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 pm

soundt2x,
Coincidently, I also tried Reggio approach - child as the Protagonist. When I was researching, I found limited resources locally, so I started a blog (not there yet) to document the process in creating that conducive environment for child to explore.

Sharing here some of my blog entries on crafting with min parental intervention. Process is more impt than product

http://ourinspiringlearningenvironment. ... s.html?m=1
http://ourinspiringlearningenvironment. ... y.html?m=1

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby soundt2x » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:10 pm

@Wan that's very cool! It's good to keep toilet/kitchen roll after use. They always come in handy when engaging in crafting .....

Will check out your blog and I certainly agree with you that the learning process is def more important than the product :) Thanks for sharing and I am glad someone out there shares the love for the Reggio Approach too haha :)

soundt2x
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Art & Craft