Art class

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Art class

Postby KS_me » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:52 am

My P1 son recently came to me said :" Mummy, do you know I like to draw and color?"

I've not explore him to drawing or any art ealier because my very old-mindset hubby see this unecessary.

Could anyone be so kind to let me know which art school instroduce kids to different kind of drawing technique using different all kind of art material like water pain... crayon... & etc?

Thank you very much.

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Artbeaucoup » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Your DH is sceptical of what good can Art do to a child's life? :roll:
Have you tried looking at CC's Art lessons? If you're not into the too technical stuff, CC's lessons should suffice. Drawing and colouring.
CC have those so-called in-house trainers. The class size is big, usually with 20 or so.
Your DS is able to articulate his interest at 7. :wink: What does he want to learn? There's another art enrichment centre that teaches a higher order of skills than CC, the cost is a far cry though.
[/img]

ArtBeauCoup

Artbeaucoup
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Art class

Postby Twins » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm

KS_me wrote:My P1 son recently came to me said :" Mummy, do you know I like to draw and color?"

I've not explore him to drawing or any art ealier because my very old-mindset hubby see this unecessary.

Could anyone be so kind to let me know which art school instroduce kids to different kind of drawing technique using different all kind of art material like water pain... crayon... & etc?

Thank you very much.

Are you in the east? My sons go to UniqArts at Katong Mall and they look forward to class every Sunday. Teacher Paul and his assistant Rosalind are extremely approachable, friendly and patient.

I see obvious progress in their creativity in drawing, and they are better in drawing up different objects now. Previously, they can't draw for nuts and don't even know how to "copy" a picture. My elder son has progressed so much that Teacher Paul wanted to put up one of his drawings for display at the school, but my son said no cos he was afraid he had to part with his little piece of art forever !! :faint:

Each week is a different theme, eg. National Day, army tank, panda, parrots etc.

At their age (they're 6 now), they use 2 different media namely crayons and paint.

Check it out: http://www.uniqarts.com.sg/

Twins
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Artbeaucoup » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Last edited by Artbeaucoup on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artbeaucoup
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Qtownmum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:04 pm

KS_me, you need to change the mindset of your husband. There are many many benefits from learning drawing and painting. I have personally benefited from such classes.

When I was 13, my mum hated how I idled away my time in front of the tv and sent me to this art teacher. He was then about 30 and he taught in his home. Kids go to his home and sit on the floor with folded legs and draw/paint with paper on a drawing board. The beginners get to draw and color with basic medium starting from color pencils then to crayons to water color to poster colors. In the advance stages, children or young adults go on to more sophisticated medium like acrylic paints, charcoal and oil paints to paint scenaries, portrait and nudes. I eventually stopped when the uni schedule caught on. But when I graduated and started working, I went back to assist this teacher during the weekend for a couple of years.

Taking art lessons has taught me to see things/objects and views from different perspective, appreciate the effects of light on objects, given me the knowledge of colors. My latter years of doing technical drawing in uni was a breeze. I have seen during those years teaching young children (as young as 3 year old) that drawing improves their motor skills. Many people who pick up art lessons, learnt to be more patient and appreciate the beauty around them. Even when we take photos, we find special angles to portray the view or object better.

Today, I am a mother of 2 boys (k1 and p2). I have looked up my teacher and let them learn from him. My elder boy was 6 when he started. From a boy who from time to time still colors out of the line, he is now handling poster + water colors and churning out scenary paintings. My younger boy was only 3 when he started, hardly could handle a pencil then. He now uses crayons to color an object with 3 different colors from light to dark in accordance to the light source.

Frankly I do not expect or wish my kids to grow up to be a painter or make a living out of drawing (like our art teacher, btw, he is making good money - lives in a condo with 3 kids in the uni). I just want them to have the skills and hopfully develop the patience.

Qtownmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby foreverj » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

wow qtownmum, what an amazing story abt your art lessons! actually if i let my dd take art lessons, it's really to give her a chance to appreciate the beauty of the world around us and to inspire and develop further the creativity of a child! many times, she amazes me when she tells me what she just created. it may be nothing fanciful to us adults but to her, it means a gazillion things i could never have imagined :love:

i only wish she continue with the wonderful imaginations going around in her head and never stop imagining!

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Qtownmum » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:00 am

I just wanted share with all what I had benefited from learning art and hopfully inspire some to let their children go for art lessons.

Qtownmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby KS_me » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Artbeaucoup wrote:Your DH is sceptical of what good can Art do to a child's life? :roll:
Have you tried looking at CC's Art lessons? If you're not into the too technical stuff, CC's lessons should suffice. Drawing and colouring.
CC have those so-called in-house trainers. The class size is big, usually with 20 or so.
Your DS is able to articulate his interest at 7. :wink: What does he want to learn? There's another art enrichment centre that teaches a higher order of skills than CC, the cost is a far cry though.
[/img]

ArtBeauCoup

Hi ArtBeauCoup,
Yup. I think so. He ever gave comments like "He don't need to be a picaso...." or nasty one would be "all artist became famous and earn $ only once they're dead!" and many more...

After few weeks of talking... I won the fight! :) I've called up few CCs but I think their timing is not so suitable for me as most of the classes are being conducted during night time.

I happen to come accross this art centre... Hansart www.hansart.sg and I've made an enquiry. The timing is quite ok as they conduct during weekend. I'll be going down this Sat to enrol my DS in..

Thanks for your feedback!
Last edited by KS_me on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Art class

Postby KS_me » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Twins wrote:Are you in the east? My sons go to UniqArts at Katong Mall and they look forward to class every Sunday. Teacher Paul and his assistant Rosalind are extremely approachable, friendly and patient.

I see obvious progress in their creativity in drawing, and they are better in drawing up different objects now. Previously, they can't draw for nuts and don't even know how to "copy" a picture. My elder son has progressed so much that Teacher Paul wanted to put up one of his drawings for display at the school, but my son said no cos he was afraid he had to part with his little piece of art forever !! :faint:

Each week is a different theme, eg. National Day, army tank, panda, parrots etc.

At their age (they're 6 now), they use 2 different media namely crayons and paint.

Check it out: http://www.uniqarts.com.sg/

Hi Twins,
Thanks for the reference. Yes, I've checked out their website. It looks interesting. Will visit their centre probably this Sat to find out more.

Thanks!

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KS_me » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Qtownmum wrote: hopfully develop the patience.

Hi Qtownmum,
Thanks for sharing what you've learnt thru drawing and painting. Certainly, this last statement of yours caught my attention and firm up my decision to send DS for this enrichment!

Thank you very much!

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Art & Craft