Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.
schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:68

Re: Knitting, Sewing, Handicrafts: Useful lifeskill

Post by schweppes » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:28 pm

ImMeeMee wrote: ....

I suppose there is no appropriate age to start, as long as you have the interest and the drive to get it going. Current stage I am looking for opportunities to sew for a cause - helping those in need by sewing. In other parts of the world, pp sew quilts for sick children in hospital, or bags for girls to hold hygiene products in less privileged countries. Somehow in SG and this part of the world I can't find similar opportunities. If anyone knows of such opportunities here please let me know.
You have a big heart, IMM :ugogirl: :salute: There is a group in Singapore that sews "angel gowns", basically clothes for babies or young children who passed on early. It was featured in ST last year. Here's the link http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/a ... last-rites

It seems like a sad project but a necessary one that helps grieving parents find peace and closure. What a heartfelt cause.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by ImMeeMee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:21 am

schweppes wrote:
You have a big heart, IMM :ugogirl: :salute: There is a group in Singapore that sews "angel gowns", basically clothes for babies or young children who passed on early. It was featured in ST last year. Here's the link http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/a ... last-rites

It seems like a sad project but a necessary one that helps grieving parents find peace and closure. What a heartfelt cause.
Thanks Schweppes. I read about this group some time ago. And I could not muster enough courage to sign up. I guess I dun have the mental strength for this. Maybe one day when I am strong enough.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm

ImMeeMee wrote:Current stage I am looking for opportunities to sew for a cause - helping those in need by sewing. In other parts of the world, pp sew quilts for sick children in hospital, or bags for girls to hold hygiene products in less privileged countries. Somehow in SG and this part of the world I can't find similar opportunities. If anyone knows of such opportunities here please let me know.
I once looked into this, but also found that there doesn't seem to be much call for this locally. I guess warm weather reduces the need for specially-made warm items (many hand-crafted items are warm, for some reason!), and handcrafting useful items from cheap locally-available fabric is still done at home here and in the region. My friends in temperate countries would use up their leftover wool by knitting 6-inch squares which would be collected by charities and sewn into blankets for low-income families etc. I guess if your skill level is high, making items which can be sold to raise funds for charity is the way to go? Churches and charitable organisations often have sales to raise funds, so you could donate your items to them.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ImMeeMee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
I once looked into this, but also found that there doesn't seem to be much call for this locally. I guess warm weather reduces the need for specially-made warm items (many hand-crafted items are warm, for some reason!), and handcrafting useful items from cheap locally-available fabric is still done at home here and in the region. My friends in temperate countries would use up their leftover wool by knitting 6-inch squares which would be collected by charities and sewn into blankets for low-income families etc. I guess if your skill level is high, making items which can be sold to raise funds for charity is the way to go? Churches and charitable organisations often have sales to raise funds, so you could donate your items to them.
I took part in the Purple Parade last year and sold my self sewn items to raise funds for the beneficiaries. The year before I also participated in a carnival to sell my items at an old folks nursing home to raise funds for their building extension project. In between I tried to initiate a sewing interest group within my special needs community to scale things up for this cause, but no takers.

Still looking. Hopefully one day I might find some lead.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:00 am

How about Mother N Child Project?

Sewintoit may have a role for seamstresses and hobbyists.

cfleurc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by cfleurc » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi ImMeeMee,

I have been thinking of starting meaningful social enterprise projects in this area as well as not many know how to sew these days. And if we can do it for a good cause, all the better.

Are you keen to connect just to have a chat?

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ImMeeMee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 pm

cfleurc wrote:Hi ImMeeMee,

I have been thinking of starting meaningful social enterprise projects in this area as well as not many know how to sew these days. And if we can do it for a good cause, all the better.

Are you keen to connect just to have a chat?
There's an article in ST today about sewing. It features Sew Into It like what JS mentioned.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/e ... t-on-point

cfleurc, do fill me in. :smile:

cfleurc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by cfleurc » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks for the link, how apt and timely!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 am

Koy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Koy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Remember to choose better quality materials since you are going to spend some time creating them so you would want them to last or at least feel comfortable. My daughter and mother went to learn knitting and create other DIY craft projects at San Merinos. Though I could not join them because I had to work, we had a great sharing session when they came home.