using a sewing machine at home

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

using a sewing machine at home

Postby karenmok » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:54 am

Hi,
Are there any mummies here who have a sewing machine at home? My mother had one at home and did small repairs herself and even stitched some dresses for us kids. I wonder if it makes sense to have a sewing machine at home these days. What do other parents think?

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: using a sewing machine at home

Postby Harlequin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 pm

I have a Brother sewing machine, small and compact, for simple function sewing. We use it to repair loose stitches, alter the length, replace broken zipper. It's definitely worth to keep one.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm

I am overseas at the moment, but I certainly want to get a sewing machine when we return. I guess it depends on whether you are the type who likes to sew and mend. I also want to teach my girls how to use one as I expect that they will find it useful too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby em83 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm

I have one at home, and yups, definitely really useful for emergencies, plus the last I used it was to make a baby quilt for my friend. Though it was not really a success hahaha, but it was definitely a good experience, planning to improve on it so I could teach my kids :)

em83
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Laura02 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I admit to being an enthuiastic home sewer. I buy cloth fr Spotlight, Chinatown, Mustapha or Arab St, then sew my and my dd's clothes. For CNY, I sewed matching qi pao for the 2 of us. I have both a simple Brother sewing maching and a serger. My mom used to sew for us, and I picked up the skill from her. My grandma used to machine embroider her sarong kebayas.

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Laura02 wrote:I admit to being an enthuiastic home sewer. I buy cloth fr Spotlight, Chinatown, Mustapha or Arab St, then sew my and my dd's clothes. For CNY, I sewed matching qi pao for the 2 of us. I have both a simple Brother sewing maching and a serger. My mom used to sew for us, and I picked up the skill from her. My grandma used to machine embroider her sarong kebayas.

Do you buy patterns or draw your own? I'm keen to get a machine and do more sewing for myself, but am stumped about how to get patterns.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Laura02 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

I buy dress paper patterns from Spotlight, or through the internet. And I have a fair collection of hand-me-downs from my mom. One of my favourite websites is clubBMV.com I believe that sewing clubs are fairly common in the UK too. Jurong central library and Queenstown library also carry the magazine "Sew" which gives quite good tips on sewing.
Its quite easy to sew. Start with something simple that only requires straight stiches. A simple A line skirt would be ideal. Trace out the pattern onto the cloth, cut, then stitch together. Its tricky to sew straight lines at first, so pin or better still, tack the cloths together before sewing. Now I seldom pin the cloths together. I just make sure that I've cut accurately, then put the edges of the cloths flush and serge ...

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Laura02 wrote:I buy dress paper patterns from Spotlight, or through the internet. And I have a fair collection of hand-me-downs from my mom. One of my favourite websites is clubBMV.com I believe that sewing clubs are fairly common in the UK too. Jurong central library and Queenstown library also carry the magazine "Sew" which gives quite good tips on sewing.
Its quite easy to sew. Start with something simple that only requires straight stiches. A simple A line skirt would be ideal. Trace out the pattern onto the cloth, cut, then stitch together. Its tricky to sew straight lines at first, so pin or better still, tack the cloths together before sewing. Now I seldom pin the cloths together. I just make sure that I've cut accurately, then put the edges of the cloths flush and serge ...

Thanks for the info. I'm only returning to Singapore later this year, and am looking forward to getting a sewing machine!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Laura02 wrote:I admit to being an enthuiastic home sewer. I buy cloth fr Spotlight, Chinatown, Mustapha or Arab St, then sew my and my dd's clothes. For CNY, I sewed matching qi pao for the 2 of us. I have both a simple Brother sewing maching and a serger. My mom used to sew for us, and I picked up the skill from her. My grandma used to machine embroider her sarong kebayas.

Wow! Sewing qi pao for self and daughter.... Ah. :please: so envious!

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi, Karenmok.

Today's Giant ad on Straits Times features a promotion for Brother sewing machine, price is at $109 (or $99??). Check it out....

I think it's the same one that I have, I think I paid $228? :stupid:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Art & Craft