Problems encountered?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Problems encountered?

Postby soundt2x » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 am

Just curious to find out if anyone of you face issues when crafting with your child/children?

I would like to share mine....

1) Creativity issue - As much as we know the importance of creativity, being raised in SG (with lesser emphasis on thinking out of the box during my childhood days) I guess it's hard to break away from the norms and allow my child to explore freely. I tend to overuse the word "are you sure it's done in this way?" only to realise that after I have said those words :( Arrgh...can be quite frustrating from the point of view of a child who has to bear with my crap :p

2) Short attention span - Crafting is a very process orientated activity, for toddlers especially, it seems difficult to get them to pay attention to what they should be focusing on! As much as I find my daughter has good concentration, , she is beginning to deviate from what I am trying to teach her these days. At times, she attempts to do something else instead. I've tried pausing a project if my daughter doesn't seem very interested but sometimes this kind of kill the momentum isn't it? To continue or not to is always a big struggle and I don't want her to have the mentality that she can do things half way....do you face this too?

3) The use of materials, buying materials or using recycling materials. To promote sustainability I think it's important to use recycle materials if possible. I used to get my child to work on A4 paper at her Mini Atelier, but I have stop doing that because I think providing recycled materials is a better way since she just used her training scissors to cut paper into small stripes at times. Sometimes it's more on the cost factor since I am a stay home mum!

What about you? What are some of your biggest challenges when crafting with your kids?

soundt2x
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Art & Craft