teaching basic sewing to DD

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

teaching basic sewing to DD

Postby karenmok » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 pm

I want to dd to pick up some basic sewing - skills like hemming, creating buttonholes, simple repairs, etc.
I checked in CC and they have complex courses - dressmaking, etc, nothing elementary.
Any suggestions on how I can get my DD trained in simple sewing?

(PS - I also don't know any sewing but would love to learn with DD)

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: teaching basic sewing to DD

Postby magicpiglet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 pm

How old is ur girl? U may wana let her try cross stitching 1st to handle needle n hopefully she will like the finished product n try on more complicated sewing thereafter, u can search online for simple hemming methods or decorative hemming or borrow library books , go spot light let ur dd choose fabrics she like n u can make simple crafts like pouch , bags etc.spotlight sells draft patterns for u to sew clothings too bt sewing machine required, or u can make a soft toy together, they offer sewing classes too, hope u have fun together wif ur girl!

magicpiglet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 pm

I think there may be youtube videos that demonstrate various stitches. There are definitely many books and websites that will have instructions, but the best way to learn a practical skill is from a person. Didn't you learn during schooldays? If so, you should be able to refresh your memory through books quite easily.

When I taught my daughters, I just gave them a piece of fabric and taught them a couple of basic stitches. They weren't very interested, so we stopped there. I want to teach them more, and will try during the end of year vacation. You can start with that, then move on to make something simple like a drawstring pouch.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Kinokuniya has many books on sewing, between the cooking and children's book sections. The japanese magazines section also have some for sewing. They are lovely to look at! (ya, i bought and only looked, hahaha) You can also borrow from the library.

Ds1 has been wanting to learn sewing and sewed patterns on old face cloths. After several reminders from him, I recently bought some felt pieces from daiso so that we can make some simple clothes and a drawstring bag for his stuffed toys. I also bought some fancy buttons from Art friends that we can sew onto his bag. Simple stuff like that sewing by hand. Anything more is beyond me!

(ps you can buy small quantities of cloth from Spotlight for little weekend projects.)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ImMeeMee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Does anyone know where can I buy a small sized sewing machine for girls? The ones I see in toy shops are more like toys than for serious sewing.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby magicpiglet » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Where do u live? I saw at Bedok neighborhood selling smaller sewing machine, usually this type is those chapalang brand usually sold at temp counter

magicpiglet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:30 pm

ImMeeMee wrote:Does anyone know where can I buy a small sized sewing machine for girls? The ones I see in toy shops are more like toys than for serious sewing.

What age girl? Some of the basic sewing machines are actually quite small, and should be OK even for Pr school girls. I've been exploring getting one for myself, and I saw a very basic one (Singer) at $150.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:29 pm

I bought a basic on for my maid last year. Think the brand is Janome. Cost about $120.

DD at 10yrs old can handle that machine.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ImMeeMee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Funz wrote:I bought a basic on for my maid last year. Think the brand is Janome. Cost about $120.

DD at 10yrs old can handle that machine.

Thanks. DD1 is 9 yo. There are so many models under Janome :yikes: . Hope to check out the retail outlets soon ...

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ImMeeMee » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:22 am

Is there a sewing club at this forum? I cant find through Search. No?

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Art & Craft