Cardboard Craft

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Cardboard Craft

Postby metz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Cardboard can be fun too. Last week, DS's kindy asked them to construct something out of cardboard with parents at home.

And this is what we (yup, everybody chips in to help) came up with.

From just boxes, masking tapes, a pair of scissors and penknife , ...

Add on some painting work, and here's our effort :D
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nani » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 am

8) Really nice...wish I could get off my butt from sewing and do something like that with ds :oops: ..lazyyyyyy... :lol:

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby metz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks Nani. Wouldn't have done it if not for the school :P

Sewing sounds pretty fun. Do you sew using a sewing machine? Sewing maybe one area I can venture with my kids. Any simple sewing for a novice to share? TIA.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Nice work Chamonix & kids. Do you use normal poster colour to paint the card box? Both dd & ds are impressed.

Thanks Nani. Wouldn't have done it if not for the school

Haha. I've helped dd to create a house for her school work. About 90% of the work I have got to do. She's not good with craft work. No picture though. She brought it to school and it came back in pieces.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Here's what ds done during his free time last year. He instructed the maid how much to cut and where to cut. I thought the artwork can be enhanced further by painting and add wheels to it. But I stop short when I looked at ds expression. (PS. I posted this one before in another thread, sorry for double posting for those who have seen it before).

This one he was asked by school to do it. It was not required for handing up though. He did it on his own. I did have to zip up my dh mouth from giving unsolicited advise. :lol:

As for sewing, you might want to try silk ribbon embroidery. The sewing kit, pictures and silk ribbon can be bought from Spot Light. If I can find my piece, I'll post the picture. Quite a big thing in Australia. An Aussie friend kind enough to share her hobby with me.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi all,

Am seeking suggestions on how to be creative with my 27 mth old son. I am totally hopeless in art and craft, :D but for the sake of intstilling some creativity in him (I want to be a positive role model :wink: ), I would like to pick up some pointers.

I have thus far collected:

1. 2 egg trays (cardboard type)

2. 3 shoe boxes

3. 1 box - L=31cm, B=31cm, H=41cm

4. 1 box - L=42, B=20, H=18

5. 1 box - L=81, B=10, H=10

TIA :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Cardboard Craft

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:38 pm

chamonix wrote:Cardboard can be fun too. Last week, DS's kindy asked them to construct something out of cardboard with parents at home.

And this is what we (yup, everybody chips in to help) came up with.

From just boxes, masking tapes, a pair of scissors and penknife , ...

Add on some painting work, and here's our effort :D

oh wow! this is really cool!!!

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby GreenQ » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Yes, cool idea, chamonix! :)

Thanks for sharing! Wow... I wanna make together with my sons today. A smaller one since we only have smaller box. :wink: They love it after I showed them your pictures... hehe.

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby metz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:21 am

Hi GreenQ,

Hope your kids have a fun time playing with the cardboards. Just don't mind the afterwards mess. :lol:

Hi autumnbronze,

Let your creativity juice run loose. I made a car and traffic lights few years back. With just that, we made pretend play that we were the pedestrians, passengers and driver. The kids have great fun! Another time, I cut slits and holes on the cardboards and imagined we were robots. But what they enjoyed most was hiding inside the boxes and giving me a big boo! :P

Ideas from some friends -
made a house for pretend play
turn the cardboard into a bed for dolls
changi airport
tin can
a shoal of fish in the ocean
vehicles like bus, train etc

Have fun!
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi En,

Guess what? I like your son's work without the wheels and paint. Cos it leaves room for imagination! I thought it was some sort of vehicle initially. Then something just flew across my mind - it could be a dragon head too! Hmm, son is more creative than mommy? :tongue:

Thanks for the tips on sewing. Used to comb through the Spotlight store while waiting DS to finish his JMC class. Good excuse to go back there again. :D

PS : we bought the acrylic paint from Popular Bookstore.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Art & Craft