Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

Postby karenmok » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:23 pm

While learning anything new is useful, I would like to seek kiasu comments on whether it is a good idea to spend time and effort and money learning the sign language, particularly when you are not hearing impaired?
I have a couple of colleagues who learnt the sign language, and they say they use it only to communicate it with their hearing impaired family members.
To put it rather bluntly, should I spend my effort learning say Spanish or piano rather than sign language - particularly when my purpose is to learn something that "might come handy someday and challenges my mental faculty today".
Many kiasu thanks,
Karen

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:27 am

I would say that learning Spanish or other spoken language is probably more potentially useful as the speaking populations of any major language is probably larger than the sign-language-using population. However, if you have intentions to volunteer in some way among the hearing-impaired, learning sign language would be useful too, and thinking long-term, volunteering is something you could do in your retirement years.

In terms of learning language, learning a foreign language would require you to learn different sounds, grammar and culture, while sign language is not so 'foreign' but requires dexterity.

Learning music is different again, and probably more for personal enjoyment.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Is it a good idea to learn sign language?

Postby Little Loomer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 am

I personally think that sign language is not a really good idea. I am a student and in school, my art teacher tells us to use sign language as the class usually gets very noisy. But whenever my friends and I do sign language we just get confused. Sign language is hard to understand as people use different signs to tell something. A person new to sign language might get some sign wrong and cause confusion. If you want to use it then go ahead, but I suggest maybe planning what signs will represent a word or sentence. But I think it will be best not to. Unless you have not very much of a choice. :boogie: :shrug:

Little Loomer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Art & Craft