Do you encourage your kid's interest in art?

So you think that those colorful scribblings on your wall resemble Piccaso's abstract art? Learn how to fulfill your child's destiny here.

Do you encourage your kid's interest in art?

Postby mintcc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:16 pm

I was born in a time where art - drawing, painting, drawing comics are considered to be unimportant in relation to other enrichment like piano lessons (parents think that at least if you learn piano you can teach piano part time as a safety net)

Most of the very good illustrators I know experience childhood where they get the - don't waste time talk when they spent their time sketching away.

Wonder if the mindset is different now?

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sleepy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 pm

yeah, I do encourage my girl to draw. Didn't send her to branded Arts school though, just arts at CC since she was 3 yo+

she took piano lessons for a year but no interest
she enjoyed drawing & colouring though

as long she does something she likes as relaxation, doesn't matter whether it's piano, ballet, gymnastics, reading or drawing :D

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phantom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 pm

There is a whole bunch of career and courses out there now a days that involve creative (advertising), computer graphics, animation that require a certain level of artistic skills that are best developed from art and craft.

Art and Craft used to be seen as a useless career path in the past, but I think a lot have changed.

I do encourage my kid to draw, I believe it should help him to be creative :)

phantom
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:46 pm

personally, I feel that drawing and sketching are more than foundation to creative careers but a good skill to have for careers in architecture, science, etc

It also train observation skills and focus as well as fine motor skills in young children.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby poohcutie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:46 pm

i think im a weird mum. Most of the time, i got to nag at my gal to stop drawing. She can spend her day mostly on drawings..she is not talented ( to me) but she loves drawing v much.
Sent her to 2 different art schools for some exposure but had stopped attending. Art teachers told me that she is abit stubborn. Only want to do things on her own way.
:?

poohcutie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:41 pm

poohcutie wrote:... Art teachers told me that she is abit stubborn. Only want to do things on her own way.

Ahh... a Picasso in the making... can you imagine what his "art teachers" must have told him when they saw his art?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby nat_mom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi poohcutie

I think drawing is a great pastime :D Must say yr gal is really focused. How old is she?

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby poohcutie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:53 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
poohcutie wrote:... Art teachers told me that she is abit stubborn. Only want to do things on her own way.

Ahh... a Picasso in the making... can you imagine what his "art teachers" must have told him when they saw his art?

Care to share ??? ehhh, im not a 'art' person..my mum used to send me to art sch to learn drawing but i dislike.i prefer to do craft work :)

poohcutie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby poohcutie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:00 pm

nat_mom wrote:Hi poohcutie

I think drawing is a great pastime :D Must say yr gal is really focused. How old is she?

hi nat mom

my gal is turning 5 next mth.
She is indeed v focus kind of person. Even her teacher told me that.
She could sit down for few hrs jst to do her drawings, colorings, etc
Good and bad i guess. Coz when she is too focus, i got to ask her to go for toilet break :roll:

poohcutie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nat_mom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:07 pm

wow..only coming 5? Really impressed by her focus..it's very difficult to let my girl sit still doing the same thing for more than an hour and she's 6. She will ready books for 30 mins, watch TV for 1hr, drawing for 30 mins, do her assessment books for 30-45mins, play with her dolls for 30 mins. Think your gal really have passion in drawing. Have u ever asked her why she likes to draw so much?

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Art & Craft