DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by DavidFhu » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 am

kiasu_pig wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:47 pm
Taekwondo (TKD) as we know today is a sport and no longer resembles the traditional TKD taught to the koreans then. Traditional TKD is much brutal and involved close combat techniques than today's kicks. Today TKD is a performing act and a sport than anything else.
It depends on how far you plan to take yourself too. It is a martial art, not a suicide plan.

I had a friend that does ITF TKD. It is much different from WTF TKD.

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by peasants » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 am

DavidFhu wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 am
peasants wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 pm
Yes DavidFhu, my girls still junior, need to convert to senior at 16 before dunno how many years then progress to next grade or masterclass.

Tried to call NCC hq but no answer. Will try again next week.

Good that you attend TKD with your son. I remembered grading day is most fun, where trainees from all over gather for friendly exchange. Its memorable. I have since move on to running short distance, chasing timing. Amazing how 1 second can boast mental by so much.
Hi Peasants,

Your girls that can rose from Poom 1 to Poom 4 depend on how many years before they are 15. You need a year before you can go from Poom 1 to Poom 2, and two years from Poom 2 to Poom 3, and three years from Poom 3 to Poom 4.

On reaching 15 years old, all Poom belts shall be required to covert to 1st dan. The time required for the next promotion will be based on the date of conversion.
Yes, my girls switched from STF to STA when they were Poom 1. For STA, the time gap much longer if I can recall. For junior or senior black, it's like 1st Dan to 2nd dan need to train 2 years, 2nd dan to 3rd dan need 3 years and so on. Senior conversion is 16 year old for STA.

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 am

peasants wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 am
Yes, my girls switched from STF to STA when they were Poom 1. For STA, the time gap much longer if I can recall. For junior or senior black, it's like 1st Dan to 2nd dan need to train 2 years, 2nd dan to 3rd dan need 3 years and so on. Senior conversion is 16 year old for STA.
It is a great decision if you want TKD as a self-defense martial art.

I had given a thought between WTF and ITF. But since my kid is already in WTF, I join him in WTF.

Does STA have a training plan that you can share?

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by peasants » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Ya. I joined WTF with my kids too. But I never switch with them to ITF.

For STA, pattern grading is quarterly as usual. Difference is STA emphasis a lot on core strength and breathing. Each grading include self defence on top of patterns. Senior black grading have additional board breaking. Punches are important as kicks hence knuckle pushups. I like STA as it is started by the founder whom received direct instructions from North Korean army general who developed traditional TKD back in the 60s. Currently there is a mixed of first gen and 2nd gen of masters running the outfit.

oplo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by oplo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm
peasants wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:29 pm
Just found out school NCC also have TKD badge.
Yes! Your kids are in NCC?

There are two type of TKD badge for NCC.

NCC-TAEKWONDO BADGE (NOT THE SAME AS SAF-TAEKWONDO BADGE)
Require to Completed NCC TKD / Unarmed Combat Programme

TAEKWONDO BADGE
Require to attained the 1st Dan black belt
(Registered under Singapore Taekowndo Foundation)
Certificate must presented to RSM, HQNCC
google cannot find "Singapore Taekowndo Foundation", is it Federation you referring to? So Singapore TaeKwonDo Academy is not recognised by SAF ?

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by sob7 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:04 pm

oplo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

google cannot find "Singapore Taekowndo Foundation", is it Federation you referring to? So Singapore TaeKwonDo Academy is not recognised by SAF ?

http://www.stf.sg/

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:43 pm

oplo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm
DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Yes! Your kids are in NCC?

There are two type of TKD badge for NCC.

NCC-TAEKWONDO BADGE (NOT THE SAME AS SAF-TAEKWONDO BADGE)
Require to Completed NCC TKD / Unarmed Combat Programme

TAEKWONDO BADGE
Require to attained the 1st Dan black belt
(Registered under Singapore Taekowndo Foundation)
Certificate must presented to RSM, HQNCC
Yes, it is the Singapore Taekwondo Federation. Refer to Ong Ye Kung, The Taekwondo badge – For all vocations, so long as the serviceman or servicewoman achieves a 1st Dan black belt through an SAF-recognised local civilian club. Typically involves two and a half years of training. But nowhere mention what are the SAF-recognised local civilian club.

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by peasants » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm

DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm
peasants wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm
DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Personally, I feel that all martial artist should compete in competitions to brush up their skills set. At least go for Poomsae Competitions.
Ya, seemed a bit slack. Both join more than 10 years but only one 1st place medal for the elder one. Some more this is like last minute to replace some one who didn't turn up for the sparring. Got activated when manning water point. Good thing is no need to pay.
What are they plan in TKD? If they are still active black belters, ask them to go for Poomsae Coach Course. Don't let it go to waste.
Actually, elder one will work part time as coach assistant and earn her own monthly allowance. Coach course is still far off, need to go for senior conversion first.

darwinkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by darwinkoh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:10 am

To all experts here, for STF grading, when will a candidate obtain his first certificate (i.e. a document)? After passing 1st Poom? Thanks.

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by peasants » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

darwinkoh wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:10 am
To all experts here, for STF grading, when will a candidate obtain his first certificate (i.e. a document)? After passing 1st Poom? Thanks.
Depends on how fast your centre following up with the HQ at Katong.