All About Recreational Swimming

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Re: All About Recreational Swimming

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 am

I believe this is so, sch will abide by moe policy strictly too. Imagine, if exemption was given and something happens to that child... heavy responsibility.

In my kids time, we know of a boy, keep resisting swim lessons, mum was also anxious about swimming. In the end, of course no exemption was given but boy keep skipping lessons, never bring gear, refuse to enter pool etc.

Better not let situation become like that above, very stressful and difficult for sch, kids and parents. Parents can just take leave to attend the swim lessons, to see for yourself, how the kids truely enjoy themselves, abeit the coaches, teachers and parents volunteers are all positioned to keep our kids safe.

I actually visited the swimming pool before the first lesson to recee w my child. I showed her ard and remind her what to do to be safe etc. I think this will reassure the parent more than for the child...lol but ... we parents do what we can to protect our kids right ? While allowing space for kids to learn freely, without worry.
Last edited by 6thisnthat9 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by zac's mum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:16 am

My nephew would likely be one of those resistant ones next year when it comes to his turn. Dunno if the peer pressure would “persuade” him to enter the water, or drive him into tantrums. At least that boy you mentioned found a “smart way” to escape.

They can’t hold a gun to your head and force you to jump in. Unlike in army...

Littlerabbit3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Littlerabbit3 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi, we have exempted my girl from SwimSafer in school in P2. She is P3 now. Because of the exemption last year, the school required us to produce SwimSafer Stage 2 to show that she has completed the requirement. We have submitted stage 1 cert to the school at mid P2 but was rejected by school, stating that min stage 2 is required. I have spoken to the coach that we need the certification as required and she is all ready and been learning Swimming since P1 - which is coming to 3 years now and she can do more than stage 2 in fact. But the coach just felt that certification is not important and I just need to fulfil what is required by her school. =(

Littlerabbit3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Littlerabbit3 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:12 pm

And really appreciated for all the feedback and advise! =)

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by 6thisnthat9 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Oops, we misunderstood your situation completely lol ....

As for your qn on, how long to achieve next level of swimsafer test, i think there are a few factors :
1. The child's ability and confidence level. as the passing rate is not high, so it is safer to send for stage 3 only if child is beyond stage 3, say confidently bronze level, to take stage 3 test. From my child's experience.
2. The level of others in the group she is with. Usually a group of kids take the test together on the same scheduled date, the other kids may not be ready for stage 3.
3. The coach's certification in swim safer. Some are certified in another standard, as swim safer is a new national standard. And coaches may engage other coaches for the assessment.

When your dc took stage 1, was the test taken at another pool? Is your coach part of a swim school? Even if the swim school is based on swim safer standards, school may think your dc is not ready to pass the next stage.

See test criteria for stage 2 below,
https://www.swimsafer.com.sg/swimsafer-stage-2/

RYeo1982
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by RYeo1982 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:27 pm

I always say to my kids that recreational swimming can provide them with a low-impact workout and it’s also a good way to relax and feel good. Now they are into swimming and would like to learn more.. thank you for all the suggestions here. Very helpful!

doubleAmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by doubleAmummy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi all, any recommendation for swimming classes or instructors in Pasir Ris or Tampines (preferably Pasir Ris) for my 6yo girl who has phobia with water. Need a good instructor who is patient. :thankyou:

jenn09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jenn09 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi, I’m looking for a female swimming coach for myself. Anyone has contact for coach that has experience teaching adults who has no experience in swimming?