Saint Andrews/ACS Rugby Brawl

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Saint Andrews/ACS Rugby Brawl

Postby 3Boys » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 am

Didn't know where to place this topic, so thought I'd put it here.

Being an ex-Saint and having great memories of days at the Padang supporting the school against arch-rivals like ACS and RI, it was hugely disappointing to read about the brawl that occurred.

Is it values? Is it the pressures that school kids are under? We must never let our school sports system go the way of the Americans, hugely competitive, but often downright nasty.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 am

Recently I also discovered another trend. Teachers are afraid of perceived influential parents. So when the kids commit bad deeds, things get shaft under the carpet without reprimanding and punishment. So what does that translate to?

Re: Saint Andrews/ACS Rugby Brawl

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:21 pm

3Boys wrote:Didn't know where to place this topic, so thought I'd put it here.

Being an ex-Saint and having great memories of days at the Padang supporting the school against arch-rivals like ACS and RI, it was hugely disappointing to read about the brawl that occurred.

Is it values? Is it the pressures that school kids are under? We must never let our school sports system go the way of the Americans, hugely competitive, but often downright nasty.

Didn't realize you were an ex-Saint too, 3Boys. If I recall, we always fought with ACS and RI each and every time we played rugby at the Padang. There were times when emotions got so high that we had scuffles off the field too. There was no love lost then. So I'm not sure if anything has really changed then and now.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:30 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Didn't realize you were an ex-Saint too, 3Boys. If I recall, we always fought with ACS and RI each and every time we played rugby at the Padang. There were times when emotions got so high that we had scuffles off the field too. There was no love lost then. So I'm not sure if anything has really changed then and now.

Huh??? So violence is the norm after a game? Then the only difference is in the past, no media coverage but now there is? :faint: School never took any disciplinary action?

So it is an age-old tradition and the forefathers will pass this on to fathers and fathers to sons and it goes on and on? :?

Just help me understand the psychology, are the rules of rugby so unclear that people always feel the game is unfair and need to take things into their own hands after a losing game?

I have heard and witnessed fights after a rugby game or even soccer game but informal games, i.e. not inter-school but just friendly matches arranged between friends of different schools during my time but not that common or serious injury.

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

ks2me wrote:... So it is an age-old tradition and the forefathers will pass this on to fathers and fathers to sons and it goes on and on? :? ...

I can only say that even if we blame it on age-old tradition and our fore-daddies, boys will be boys. Those incidents were minor then and not news worthy. I've not read about the recent incident and do not how serious it was.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tutormum » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Guess it's the question of how well the losers take it. It seems that it's not a case of sore losers but more of face losing so much so that neither party was willing to accept being the loser. The children need to be counseled and learn true sportsmanship. :wink:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Here's a summary of the outcome:

ST ANDREW'S School (SAS) has taken swift action in disciplining a player who floored Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) flanker Leonard Wee with a punch during Monday's Schools National B Division rugby final.

The incident, which happened right after the final whistle, sparked a pitch invasion from players and supporters of both camps.

SAS yesterday temporarily suspended the boy from lessons.

He was also banned from all school rugby activities for six months, disqualified from receiving the school colours, and will not be allowed to represent the school again.

The player also made a public apology in front of the entire school during assembly yesterday morning and will be taken to meet Leonard to reconcile their differences.

In a statement yesterday, the Ministry of Education said that the Schools National rugby convener - St Andrew's - has appointed a disciplinary panel to investigate the incident. Appropriate action will be taken on the recommendations of the committee.

Actual report: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 14411.html

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 pm

tutormum wrote:Guess it's the question of how well the losers take it. It seems that it's not a case of sore losers but more of face losing so much so that neither party was willing to accept being the loser. The children need to be counseled and learn true sportsmanship. :wink:

They lost only by 1 point....so maybe it was too close for comfort...
Still no excuse to get violent and damage the school's reputation....

Children need to learn how to fall, to fall without feeling pain.
Children need to learn how to fail, to fail without having suffering.
Children need to learn how to lose, to lose without losing cool.

Having said this....some children grow up without learning and hence it became applicable as such....

Adult need to learn how to fall, to fall without feeling pain.
Adult need to learn how to fail, to fail without having suffering.
Adult need to learn how to lose, to lose without losing cool.

You may call me a sadist parent, but my mission in life is to make my child fall, fail and lose first.

Postby 3Boys » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:53 pm

CKS, wow, you too eh?

Yeah, it did get passionate. Perhaps you are right and my memory fails me, and I am looking through adult lenses. I do remember once when one of our guys provoked the opposition (Dunearn Tech) by running the flag across their lines, and was tripped....oh boy, it was a tense few minutes.

I'll check back in 10 years when my son is playing 'B' division rugby!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 am

no doubt he is wrong in throwing that punch, but isn't the punishment kind of harsh?

I'm ok with "....banned from all school rugby activities for six months, disqualified from receiving the school colours, and will not be allowed to represent the school again..." and the meeting with Leonard.

but why suspend from lessons? and why public apology to school?

:?

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics