Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Fencing

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:15 pm

The weapons range from foil to epee and sabre. The way points are scored are different with each weapon. Beginners normally start with the foil. Yes, it is skinny and pointy, but the tip is actually a flat spring-loaded top (like that of an FM radio antenna) which, when depressed, registers a hit during electric fencing on the board.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Hmmm....so cannot make the Z mark? :lol:

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:02 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:The weapons range from foil to epee and sabre. The way points are scored are different with each weapon. Beginners normally start with the foil. Yes, it is skinny and pointy, but the tip is actually a flat spring-loaded top (like that of an FM radio antenna) which, when depressed, registers a hit during electric fencing on the board.

You have any pictures of how they look like? Can't make them up in my mind :oops:

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:11 pm

As always, Wikipedia saves the day.

For those lazy to click, here's an excerpt:

"Foils are designed for thrusting, and score a point by depressing a button on the end of the shaft to complete an electric circuit. The blade is very thin, with a blunted (or foiled) tip. Modern competitive fencers often use a technique known as a flick, which uses the foil's flexibility to bend around the blade of an opponent (often in response to an attempted parry) and plant a hit upon the back.

Foil blades are flexible enough to bend upon striking an opponent, in order to prevent injuries. There are three main types of foil grips: the French style, with a grip (handle or hilt) designed to facilitate greater finesse, the Italian style, which is designed more for control and power, and the orthopedic, or pistol-grip, which is the most popular among modern competitive sport fencers."
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 pm

super_dad wrote:Hmmm....so cannot make the Z mark? :lol:

Can... if you tie a pen to it.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Wow, my son saw that fencing picture and the first though is it is a weapon to kill people. Wow, wonder where my kid got those idea from :?

phantom
Site Admin

Postby laopek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:31 pm

phantom wrote:Wow, my son saw that fencing picture and the first though is it is a weapon to kill people. Wow, wonder where my kid got those idea from :?

yr son very smart. smarter than u.

last time fencing is for killing people mah. remember 3 musketeers or not? poke u until u die.

laopek
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby phantom » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 am

laopek wrote:yr son very smart. smarter than u.

last time fencing is for killing people mah. remember 3 musketeers or not? poke u until u die.

Hmm. I am only used to seeing killing in movies. Maybe the government done good job in making use think that martial arts is only as sports :roll:

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

from the look of this....you don't need to buy cane liao.....he naughty, use the "foil" to fence him until he cry.....keke.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby deardear07 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:52 pm

wow...and hw young do they accept students? any adults learning fencing?

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres