Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Fencing

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: All About Fencing

Postby zac's mum » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 am

Are there any parents here whose kids have gone through the beginners course in Z Fencing? Could you PM me please, I have some questions to ask you. Thx!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Excel99 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:48 pm

is fencing a very expensive sport?

Excel99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Excel99 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:48 pm

is fencing a very expensive sport?

Excel99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zac's mum » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Excel99 wrote:is fencing a very expensive sport?

Relatively. If you compare to other sports.

But the good news is, you do not need to buy the equipment or uniform to learn as a beginner. Beginners just wear their own t shirt, long pants and track shoes.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Excel99 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:47 pm

thanks zac's mum,

do you have any idea what is the best age to start this sport?

zac's mum wrote:

But the good news is, you do not need to buy the equipment or uniform to learn as a beginner. Beginners just wear their own t shirt, long pants and track shoes.

Excel99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zac's mum » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Excel99 wrote:thanks zac's mum,

do you have any idea what is the best age to start this sport?

zac's mum wrote:

There is no “best age”. Plenty of adult learners and teen beginners.

There are preschoolers but most aren’t mature enough till around age 6. As a parent, I have seen common problems among younger kids are: lack of ability to take instructions, lack of ability to concentrate (usually boys) and lack of physical stamina particularly in the legs, lack of general coordination (usually girls). So don’t waste your money on lessons until at least age 6-7. Before that it’s all generally playing around.

The coaches I’ve spoken to all told me the “peak” age for this sport is around 15 years old. Meaning your “investment” will not show until the child reaches age 15 as most of the competitions are for this age group. It takes many years and years of training but I suppose fast learners and those with aptitude will fare better than others (as with any sport).

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zac's mum » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Just sharing here in case other parents are trying to decide if Fencing would be a suitable sport for their child. Compiled from my ~1 year of observing lessons.

Fencing is suitable for those kids who are:
- agile and nimble on their feet
- have quick reflexes
- have sharp eyesight (I have never seen bespectacled fencers but the coach tells me there are, and they need to get narrower-framed glasses which can fit under the mask)
- strict rule followers and yet have creativity to improvise strategy on-the-go
- height, shape or gender are of no particular advantage/disadvantage in this sport, unlike many other sports

So if your child has these attributes, it’s worth giving it a try. Otherwise, it’s probably money down the drain. :siam:

You can go and observe for free btw. TPY Safra 4th floor. Viewing gallery for the public every weekend lol.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zac's mum » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:19 am

More about Fencing. Saw this article posted by Asgard Fencing School on its FB Page today. It’s written in the American context, but it gives an insight into the *mental* agility also required in this sport. A good lifelong skill to develop and have.

https://kidzu.co/sports-athletics/fenci ... -for-kids/

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CalvinS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 am

zac's mum wrote:Just sharing here in case other parents are trying to decide if Fencing would be a suitable sport for their child. Compiled from my ~1 year of observing lessons.

Fencing is suitable for those kids who are:
- agile and nimble on their feet
- have quick reflexes
- have sharp eyesight (I have never seen bespectacled fencers but the coach tells me there are, and they need to get narrower-framed glasses which can fit under the mask)
- strict rule followers and yet have creativity to improvise strategy on-the-go
- height, shape or gender are of no particular advantage/disadvantage in this sport, unlike many other sports

So if your child has these attributes, it’s worth giving it a try. Otherwise, it’s probably money down the drain. :siam:

You can go and observe for free btw. TPY Safra 4th floor. Viewing gallery for the public every weekend lol.

Thanks for sharing this. It might be worth a try for my child who's very much interested w/ fencing. He has majority of the attributes you posted. :hi5:

CalvinS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zac's mum » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:30 am

Anyone going for this? Saw this ad on FB. Modern Fencing Academy having their Kids Fencing Fiesta on National Day. Like an Open House fun trial lesson for beginners.

https://www.facebook.com/events/296021324477225/?ti=ia

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres