Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Fencing

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: Fencing schools and clubs in Singapore

Postby Laurenwkids » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:55 am

Any idea which branch of Z fencing is better? My dh wants to send kids for fencing lessons but after trying out a lesson at a lesser known centre, we felt it would be better to switch to Z fencing.

I was thinking of the branch at UE square. Anyone has experience with the trainers there?

Laurenwkids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ANobleNerd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am

I think you meant United Square. The USq branch is their largest.

The coaches for the classes actually do move about to the different branches, so in a sense, certain classes are not location-specific. ie. a grade 2 class can have the same coach/es whether it's at USq or Bt Timah Plaza, as they will be held on different days/time. That said, some of their classes may not be available at some branches, eg. their Elite programme. This is because they would consolidate the numbers to make sure that there are enough students to have a class.

The advantage of learning fencing with Z is that they have a set curriculum and grading programme, and clear pathways for their students. Also, in terms of sparring partners (which is essential for a fencer to grow), because Z has probably the largest pool of fencers, Z students have more exposure to fencing more varied opponents.

Z also organises about 3-4 tournaments a year for its non-elite fencers (those who trains once a week, as oppose to elite fencers who trains 2 or 3 times a week for competitive fencing). These tournaments provide competitive fencing experience to fencers in-house.

Every year in August, Z Fencing will hold a Z Gala. It's a two-day event which provides competitive fencing for all its students. Last year, it was held in MBS, in conjunction with the Z1-Pro Fencing which had top international fencers competing. This year, it will be held at the Singapore Sports School next weekend, but without the Z1-Pro Fencing.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Herbie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 am

Hi ANobleNerdHow abt the fencing training at Blade Club?? Is it good?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ANobleNerd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm

My son has only been fencing at Z Fencing, so I won't know about how Blade Club has theirs set-up. It may be good to give them a call to find out, or speak to parents who enrolled their kids there.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Laurenwkids » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 am

Hi ANobleNerd,

Thanks for the feedback! Ya I mean United Square. One reason I was considering them is the large pool of fencers. I was thinking it would provide a good practice for kids to spar against each other.

For the Z Gala, is it open for outsiders? Any recommendations of good trainers?

Laurenwkids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ANobleNerd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm not sure if the Z Gala is opened to members of the public, but perhaps it will be good to call up Z Fencing to inquire.

If your child is starting out in fencing, you'll be signing up for the classes, rather than for the coaches (although all their coaches are experienced and have competition-experience either from China, Germany or Hungry). It's only after you've got the basics of fencing familiarised, and when you're doing competitive fencing that you might want to sign up for individual coaching sessions. In that case, they have a few coaches ranging from a former Olympics Silver medalist to a German-team national fencer to even our own Singaporean national team SEA-games medalist to choose from.

Each of their coaching styles differs, and it's good to know the kind of fencer your child is to find the best fit. ;)

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Laurenwkids » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks for your detailed feedback. I will call Z fencing to find out if I can find a suitable timing for my children. Exciting to know that in the future they can sign up national fencers!

Laurenwkids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lifeofateen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 pm

why don't yall try blade club? i train there weekly and training there is very good as it helped me up to the national team. now im in the national team, so i highly recommend blade club as a good fencing centre.

lifeofateen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lifeofateen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 pm

just to mention, blade club also sells fencing equipment, but you have to train there, and the rates, if im not wrong, are cheaper than Z-fencing.

lifeofateen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Herbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 pm

may i know how long did u take to progress to national level? Are u in sec school now or jc?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres