Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Fencing

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: Fencing schools and clubs in Singapore

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 pm

How old is your child? My 6-year-old is enrolled there since January.

My 13-year-old has been with them since he was in P1. He's now in the Fencing Academy at the Singapore Sports School. Z's programme for Fencing is one of the more systematic ones in Singapore, because they have a grading programme to ensure that the kids know the skills before they progress to the next level. I don't know about the other schools, but I suppose they would have some form of curriculum - just ask them about it if you're scouting around for a school.

Because Z's the largest school in Singapore, there are advantages in terms of their ability to host regular in-house tournaments, which encourages the young ones at Z to fence more competitively. These in-house tournaments usually happens during the school holidays.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby micollh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 pm

my boy is still young,, 2 nia.. but i want to start looking for suitable classes for him..when it's time.how much is the course by the way, care to share? cant see any such info in the website and no class schedule available too

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

If you'r son is 2, wait until he's 5 year old before scouting around. The fees, schedules etc will all be different by then. Who knows? Perhaps one of the currently smaller schools might become more popular or a newer fencing school might open? :smile:

Even at 5 years, the lightest foil weapon would be too heavy for your son to hold comfortably. It would be good to wait. My 4-year-old keeps reminding me that his turn at fencing school is in 2 years' time when he's in K2 like his sister. :lol:

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sunkizz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi,

I just sign my son (4yrs old) up for fencing. But I dunno is he considered too young to learn it?

sunkizz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby micollh » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:35 am

not sure if my girl will like this.. haaa.. shall let her see some of the photos.. is ther a trial session at Zfencing.. maybe i should write in.

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jesschan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:29 am

Based on personal experience, I think taking up fencing below age 7 is rather expensive. The duration is an hour and a large part of it is physical play which I suppose you can do it with other sports (and possibly cheaper).
The more serious fencing coaching comes only after the kids are around 7 or 8 years old when they are stronger and have better fine motoring skills. And to really learn fencing seriously, you need to take up private lessons as well. The fencing gear is also quite costly. So I personally feel that unless you intend to let your kid train competitively, taking fencing lessons as a leisure sport really needs some serious consideration....

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jesschan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 am

Hi! Anyone interested to let your kids take up sabre fencing lessons? My 9 year old son is currently taking sabre fencing lessons from a professional China coach and I am looking for boys of similar age who are interested, to learn together with him.

Anyone interested can send me a PM. I can help to liase with the coach to arrange for a free trial lesson.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby icelemontea » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:21 am

Hi, there are fencing lessons offered at the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club too! Please check it out, lessons have not started as of yet.
http://www.rsyc.org.sg/events/ongoing-activities.html

icelemontea
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Fencing

Postby jiyou2003 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi,
What is the youngest age to get into competition? On an average child, how long does one takes to complete the learning of fencing? 2 years or more? What are the essential skills to pick up?
Tq

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: All About Fencing

Postby sweetbaby » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:26 am

My child is interested in fencing but he's rather shy. We just interested to take up for fun when he turns 7 but also hope he learns discipline. Can share how the lesson are like for beginners? At what stage are they encourage to duel/spar? thx u

sweetbaby
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres