All About Table Tennis

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
timtamfan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Table Tennis

Post by timtamfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:29 am

Serendipity wrote:What's the price range of a bat suitable for an intermediate player?
Depends on the choice of blade (the wood part) and the rubbers (red and black soft part). Likely to be >$150 for the average specs. The choices are really bewildering, and I'm still exploring. I refer to this website (http://www.tabletennisdb.com/) for starting point, and the choice depends on the ability and preference of the player. If it's the first time, perhaps just ask the kid to try all their friends' bats and get the same one. Good luck

mummyv
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mummyv » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:52 pm

ski wrote:Dear parents with kids in school team,

School team players train at least 3 times a week in school after school hours. If they also join STTA Zone training which is 3 times a week, this will be on top of the school training. I am just curious how do your kids find time to manage both school and STTA zone trainings plus school work and other activities? May be they sleep around midnight in order to complete homework etc? Really curious. Any parents can share their experiences? Thank you.
hi ski

My response is a bit late. Hope your DC is coping well. Previously when DC was in school team with 3 x JSA training (weekday nights and Sat), I spoke to school to allow her to cut down to 1 x 1 hour and 1 x 2 hours school training bumping this with every lead up to competition. School will be more understanding if DC is not a doubles player. The star player did not even train with the school team. With so much time spent on training, we didn't have the luxury of a tuition, we only managed with 1 external tuition. In P6, 4x a week school ended around 4.30-5pm due to extra lessons and CCAs. DD still slept bet 10-10.30pm daily regardless whether homework was completed. There was not much time for extra work as homework was already heavy. I made sure her teachers were informed of her sports commitment at the beginning of each year so if need be it would be easier to ask for extensions.

Personal thoughts: Time spent at training is healthier than time spent on gadgets. Hopefully DD learnt time management skills, focus and discipline. Now in Sec 2, DD is no longer in competitive sports but in a performing arts cca. Secondary school hours are even longer with more subjects to manage and CCA commitment is 3x week with a lot of self practice. Now DD reaches home 7pm 3x a week, 3pm 1x a week, 4pm 1x a week. I've heard the hours only get worse in upper sec and JC..so if DC is willing and keen on the sport there's no harm in this.

Edited to add: There is no co-relation between hours spent in training and academic results. Each child differs so it's tough as parents to know which course of action leads to a better outcome for the child.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Serendipity » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:58 pm

timtamfan wrote:
Serendipity wrote:What's the price range of a bat suitable for an intermediate player?
Depends on the choice of blade (the wood part) and the rubbers (red and black soft part). Likely to be >$150 for the average specs. The choices are really bewildering, and I'm still exploring. I refer to this website (http://www.tabletennisdb.com/) for starting point, and the choice depends on the ability and preference of the player. If it's the first time, perhaps just ask the kid to try all their friends' bats and get the same one. Good luck
Thanks! So much to learn abt the sport! Glad there's this forum to glean some insight!

winger28
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by winger28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:38 pm

The 729 2040 & the Dawei premades are suitable for CCA trainings.
It costs about $30+ & comes with a bat cover.

It is available at Sin Ten Sports (near Bradell MRT).

This shop is where serious table tennis players go to for their stuffs.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:15 pm

winger28 wrote:

Any website link for this shop? Thanks.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:19 pm

I used to be in the school team during secondary school days in the 80s. The coach recommended the black rubber on one side and red long pimple rubber on the other for all of us. Per bat costs about sgd40 back then all in.

justMommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by justMommy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:30 pm

I know most school teams do bulk orders for the kids. I'm guessing that would be the cheapest option, and also you'll get access to ''good bats'' that regular shops don't have.

winger28
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by winger28 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:
winger28 wrote:

Any website link for this shop? Thanks.
no website link, but there is a facebook link.
https://www.facebook.com/sintensports

You may also check out PP Kingdom at bras basah.
http://www.kingdompp.com/

winger28
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by winger28 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:
I used to be in the school team during secondary school days in the 80s. The coach recommended the black rubber on one side and red long pimple rubber on the other for all of us. Per bat costs about sgd40 back then all in.
Nowadays, sch coaches want students to start with shake hand bat with same type of rubber (ie smooth type) on both sides.

This is to ensure the TT basics are mastered first.

Pimpled rubber (long or short) and pen hold are not allowed for students starting out learning TT.

winger28
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by winger28 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:32 pm

justMommy wrote:I know most school teams do bulk orders for the kids. I'm guessing that would be the cheapest option, and also you'll get access to ''good bats'' that regular shops don't have.
Yes, this is the safest bet as the TT bat would have been endorsed by the coach and probably at a reasonable price.