Balancing Schoolwork & Competitive Sports

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Balancing Schoolwork & Competitive Sports

Postby workingmom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:11 pm

As a parent of lower primary kids who have just started training, I have wondered how kids cope with the rigors of training and schoolwork. I know time management is required but still it means a lot less time for revision, assessment practice etc..... there seems to be a compromise here. My kids are not complaining that they hardly get to watch tv though...strange....

During my time, schoolwork was a lot less demanding so I can imagine it was easier...so if your kids participate in competitive sports how do they manage their time ? Please share ! Thanks ! :D

workingmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby flametree » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 pm

hi,

my child started training competitively at end p3. He is p6 now and trg only slowed down to once a wk end of Jul this yr.

He doesn't have time for tv or computer. Prob at best can squeeze in half an hr a day of tv during sch days coz he still gotta do sch homework and go for tuition. Unlike my other kids, he could only read story books during the sch hol. Sometimes his siblings will comment that they haven't seen my this boy for the whole day and they actually pitied him.

But for this child, he wants to train and he's very determine to do well. As such training maybe tough for him but he enjoys it (most of the time). He tries to clear his homework in school or squeeze in whatever time he has in-between (tuition/training) to do his work.

Actually with his packed schedule, compared to my other kids, he is more conscientious of time and does his work very fast. He has no time for dilly dally.

hope this helps.

flametree
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics