Is swimming certificate compulsory at Sec level ?

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Is swimming certificate compulsory at Sec level ?

Postby joconde » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi,

I was told by my friends recently that MOE new policy now is at secondary level, every child must have at least a Bronze cert in swimming, otherwise, they will need to undergo compulsory swimming lessons.

My friends also feel it's better to get a cert b4 entering sec sch, as going for swimming lessons at sec 1 will be hectic (need to cope with many subjects) and troublesome (own transport to swimming complex), and may be bad for child's morale esp if most of his classmates need not attend.

Anyone with can verify this info and share experience ?

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is swimming certificate compulsory at Sec level ?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 pm

joconde wrote:Hi,

I was told by my friends recently that MOE new policy now is at secondary level, every child must have at least a Bronze cert in swimming, otherwise, they will need to undergo compulsory swimming lessons.

My friends also feel it's better to get a cert b4 entering sec sch, as going for swimming lessons at sec 1 will be hectic (need to cope with many subjects) and troublesome (own transport to swimming complex), and may be bad for child's morale esp if most of his classmates need not attend.

I'm not sure if it is compulsory, but I recall my Junior College forcing everyone to do swimming for PE and making them learn to swim. It was a traumatic experience for non-swimmers. But boys had better learn to swim before NS because it will be even more traumatic to have to learn it then.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby hmsg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Not too sure but I have heard that kids ought to get their bronze cert by P3???

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:24 pm

hmsg wrote:Not too sure but I have heard that kids ought to get their bronze cert by P3???

Yes. P3 is good for taking the survival training courses, but too late if you want to train the kid for competitive swimming.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby heutistmeintag » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:35 pm

I suspect it varies from school to school. In my son's sec sch, all sec 1 must go thru swimming lessons to attain bronze. He had bronze already but the school requires him to attain silver. I am not sure what happen to those with gold though...maybe water polo or life guard training. :roll:

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:58 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:I suspect it varies from school to school. In my son's sec sch, all sec 1 must go thru swimming lessons to attain bronze. He had bronze already but the school requires him to attain silver. I am not sure what happen to those with gold though...maybe water polo or life guard training. :roll:

Got such thing arh? :? So if got silver then must go for gold? Got gold go for Gold Star? Where does it end?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Is swimming certificate compulsory at Sec level ?

Postby mother_teresa » Sat May 16, 2009 2:07 pm

joconde wrote:Hi,

yes most schools (auto/indep schools may have their own policies) but most of them have their own swim programmes and students are made to take a test to determine their swimming ability before joining the swim program. so do train ur kids when young so that they have confidence in water...no running away from that!

mother_teresa
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hockey_blue » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm

That's what my daughter (16yo) told me that her school is also coming up with swimming programme. And she thanked me for forcing her to get to "Gold" standard during primary school days. Well, kids are kids, they won't understand what do we parents mean "for your own good" until one day... they understand.

hockey_blue
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hockey_blue » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
heutistmeintag wrote:I suspect it varies from school to school. In my son's sec sch, all sec 1 must go thru swimming lessons to attain bronze. He had bronze already but the school requires him to attain silver. I am not sure what happen to those with gold though...maybe water polo or life guard training. :roll:

Got such thing arh? :? So if got silver then must go for gold? Got gold go for Gold Star? Where does it end?

perhaps it never ends... government is government... I think they implemented these kind of stuff is to prevent MORE drowning incidents although a handful of those drowned ppl can swim. That's ridiculous.

hockey_blue
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby NdHelpParent » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:56 pm

hockey_blue wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:

perhaps it never ends... government is government... I think they implemented these kind of stuff is to prevent MORE drowning incidents although a handful of those drowned ppl can swim. That's ridiculous.

U know what...my yr 2 son has attained a Gold few yrs ago alrdy and still is compulsory for him to go for lesson every Mon ... i wonder why.

NdHelpParent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics