How to become an officer?

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

How to become an officer?

Postby Notto » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi, my son is enlisting for National Service next year. Does anybody know how he can become an officer? Where can I find info from? :?

Notto
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Watch this short video by SAF on Situational Test conducted during Basic Military Training where the instructors assess the recruits on the potential to be leaders.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cyb ... nnMGdInp0w

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Notto » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Thank you. Do we know what the instructors actually assess for during this Test? I suppose they have some criteria to assess leadership or decision-making?

Notto
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasuest2 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:21 pm

In addition to showing leadership qualities during the BMT, one other important consideration will be your physical fitness. Most, if not all, who went to OCS (Officer Cadet School) obtained a gold for their IPPT test. Nowadays, the SAF does place important on physical fitness.

my 2 cents' worth ;-)

kiasuest2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby toddles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 pm

errrrrrr... he does know that liability for officers to be serve reservist is up to 50 years old whereas everyone else stops at 40 right?

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:02 pm

toddles wrote:errrrrrr... he does know that liability for officers to be serve reservist is up to 50 years old whereas everyone else stops at 40 right?

Maybe he wants to sign up as officer? His pay starts at 4K after graduating.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 pm

toddles wrote:errrrrrr... he does know that liability for officers to be serve reservist is up to 50 years old whereas everyone else stops at 40 right?

Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents, unless exempted, are liable to register for National Service (NS). Following the completion of full-time NS, they will be required to serve up to 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service (ORNS) per year for the duration of their ORNS training cycle till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).

however, officers and other ranks will "stand down" and go into MINDEF Reserve List once they have completed their 10 years in camp training cycle. Some officers and key other ranks do volunteer to extend their in camp training cycle beyond the 10 years.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm

He who strives to be an officer usually has 'pride','honour' and 'serving one's country' as first priority in their hearts; hence concern about reservist for another 10yrs is secondary. :wink:
ten yrs+ ago, being an officer only needs silver in IPPT; not sure if the standard has changed.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Notto » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Hello everyone, thank you for replying. Yes, I have heard of the reservist requirement for officers but I think that's ok. I still don't know about whether he will sign on. Does anybody have any advice whether the career prospects are good to sign on? Also what is the requirement to get the SAF scholarship? :?

Notto
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lovestudy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 pm

For OCS course, they will look at everything from a person's fitness, to attitude during BMT. everyone will be access and 'graded' by their officers and peers as well. Those who mange to pass their IPPT before enlistment and at enhance batch will get higher priority.. Anyway, the secret to all leadership is to be a natural leader. Not a garang person.. good luck :lol:

lovestudy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics