Rock climbing

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Rock climbing

Postby blitz » Wed May 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Does anyone's child do rock climbing in or out of school?

blitz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Rock climbing

Postby elopt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 am

Peiying does rock climbing . with supervision of course

elopt
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby elopt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 am

Peiying does rock climbing . with supervision of course

elopt
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Chouchou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi
I am interested also to know about rock climbing for kids.
I have find few facilities that seems to offer kids' class but none in west Singapore.
Does anyone have any feedback on a good rock climbing school for kids 7 year old?

Chouchou
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lexis » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:24 pm

my son did rockclimbing in p5/6. it was a cca in his school, and he represented his school during the interschool competitions and also took part in external comps like PA Climbing Carnival.

He never took any formal rock climbing lessons, but was taught by his CCA teacher (who used to climb). we used to go to Onsight Climbing Gym (along Guillemard Road) every weekend to climb too. Before I got my Level 1 cert (so I could belay him), we used to have to pay their staff to belay him, and the staff would give pointers as he climbed.

you can't get any official certification in Singapore if you are under 13, but that doesn't mean you can't train to be proficient at top rope climbing and bouldering. Just need regular practice (for us that was 2x a week - once during cca, and once during the weekend).

Hope that helps!

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HappyBlueBear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Chouchou wrote:Hi
I am interested also to know about rock climbing for kids.
I have find few facilities that seems to offer kids' class but none in west Singapore.
Does anyone have any feedback on a good rock climbing school for kids 7 year old?

There is one in the west:

Climbers Laboratory @ Enterprise Hub (48 Toh Guan Road East #05-152 Enterprise Hub Singapore 608586)

My DH brings the kids there a few times. Pretty good. When they are more familiar with the routes, they will want to try different places. Have fun.

HappyBlueBear
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 pm

lexis wrote:my son did rockclimbing in p5/6. it was a cca in his school, and he represented his school during the interschool competitions and also took part in external comps like PA Climbing Carnival.

He never took any formal rock climbing lessons, but was taught by his CCA teacher (who used to climb). we used to go to Onsight Climbing Gym (along Guillemard Road) every weekend to climb too. Before I got my Level 1 cert (so I could belay him), we used to have to pay their staff to belay him, and the staff would give pointers as he climbed.

you can't get any official certification in Singapore if you are under 13, but that doesn't mean you can't train to be proficient at top rope climbing and bouldering. Just need regular practice (for us that was 2x a week - once during cca, and once during the weekend).

Hope that helps!

You went rock climbing with your son? :udawoman:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gjooheng » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:06 pm

i am a sport climbing and abseiling instructor. for kids, you can try rock school at bedok CC. there are many life lessons you can teach a child through rock climbing:

1. Never give up easily
2. If you don't succeed at first, try a different approach.
3. It is not always about getting to the top on your 1st try. More importantly, it is to progress.
4. See how people successfully reach the top. Model after them.
5. Learn how to rest
6. Plan your success milestones
7. Learn how to let go and try another day
8. Taking falls are ok. Just get back up

gjooheng
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lexis » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
lexis wrote:my son did rockclimbing in p5/6. it was a cca in his school, and he represented his school during the interschool competitions and also took part in external comps like PA Climbing Carnival.

Hope that helps!

You went rock climbing with your son? :udawoman:

ngl2010: yes. :) but mostly I belay him, i don't really climb cos i am not strong enough :)

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bb_ mom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Happy blue bear

I googled Climbers Lab but can't find pricing. Can you share?

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics