All About Inline Skating/Roller Blading

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

All About Inline Skating/Roller Blading

Postby bee8250 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:55 am

Hi,

Would like to introduce roller bladding to my son. However, I had heard a lot from my friend that this is a very expensive sport.

Would like to know where I can find such course (prefer at the East side). If any of the parents do send your children for this sport. May I ask how much do you all spend on the gear? How much is the monthly course fee?

thks

bee8250
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby spring5 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 am

During the Dec hols, i enrolled my kids with Inline Culture.
$88 for unlimited lessons for 4 weekends.
Each Sat/Sun, there are abt 4-5 lessons.
To maximise the fees, my kids will attend at least 2 lessons on Sat am and Sun am.
On certain days, we even go back for the late afternoon sessions.

We alternate between East Coast (Car Park F) and West Coast. (next to Macs)
Each child is given gear and skates....just bring your socks.

Be warned, the gear and skates really stink, not hygienic in my opinion.

We ended up buying them skates and gear from the 2nd lesson.

We have bot new skates for my 8 year old so selling the 1st pair (which I bot 2nd hand from ebay). Let me know if you are keen to take over the 1st pair....strawberry8_8@hotmail.com
Selling at $15 only.

spring5
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby csc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 am

My kids picked up the skill from a rollerblading course at a nearby community club. Fees are rather affordable.Gears are provided - and if your child shows interest, one can buy new ones from the skating company at a discount.

We bought the gears from Carrfour during sales. You may want to get those rollerblading shoes that are adjustable to allow for feet growth. Paddings for arms, hands and knees and helmets have to be included in the budget too. Should be around $100 for the initial outlay.

It should take about 4 lessons to master the skills for an average learner. The 4 lessons were conducted over one week during the school holidays.

Rollerblading is great fun for the kids and also for the mum looking on! :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 am

There are quite a few such schools - Skateline, Urban Inline etc. Skateline has a website and a huge group of followers, you can google for their website and they hold regular clearance sale up to 50%.

Firstly no offence to those who bought the cheaper boots coz I used those before too. I just want to point out the difference between the ~$40 and ~$100 skate boots. My kids used to have a set from Carrefour and another Scorpion brand, before we "upgraded" to K2 brand. The differences we found are
1) K2 has better ball bearings, which means it's smoother and easier to "roll" the wheels
2) K2 set of wheels are aligned and all 4 wheels will grip the floor
3) K2 boots are constructed with better paddings.

If you arent sure if your son will be serious on going beyond 4 lessons, you can start with the cheaper boots or use the school's boots until you are ready to get better ones. Apart from K2, can also consider Salomon.

PS I am not related to K2 or Skateline although my whole family had learnt together under Skateline. It was great fun, dun just sit there and watch them learn. Join in and bond thru rollerblading.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30 am

We also learn from Skateline and I agree with heutistmeintag on getting a good pair of skates that can last longer. For children, get those extendable ones, it is still worthwhile. I spent over $200 for a pair for my child but it is worthwhile, no regrets.

I have friends who regretted in getting the cheaper ones.

Roller Bladding Course

Postby bee8250 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi,

Thank you for all the information. Really very appreciate. We check out with the centre if there is any trial lesson.

Thanks, heutistmeintag. You have given me the idea to learn the sport with my son.

Have a nice day.

bee8250
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby karmeleon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:Firstly no offence to those who bought the cheaper boots coz I used those before too. I just want to point out the difference between the ~$40 and ~$100 skate boots. My kids used to have a set from Carrefour and another Scorpion brand, before we "upgraded" to K2 brand. The differences we found are
1) K2 has better ball bearings, which means it's smoother and easier to "roll" the wheels
2) K2 set of wheels are aligned and all 4 wheels will grip the floor
3) K2 boots are constructed with better paddings.

I can definitely attest to the difference in the skates. In fact, its easier to learn with better skates!!! And for myself, i also found such a world of difference betwn carrefour & K2 skates. Nv again do i go for the carrefour type since.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby csc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks for the info . My kids have no problems with their current skates - maybe there was no opportunity for comparision yet !

Anyway, will look out for those brands recommended by some of you when it's time for them to "upgrade". :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heutistmeintag » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:33 pm

csc wrote:Hi folks,

Thanks for the info . My kids have no problems with their current skates - maybe there was no opportunity for comparision yet !

Anyway, will look out for those brands recommended by some of you when it's time for them to "upgrade". :lol:

Have your kids tried turning or A-turns yet? The difference becomes more obvious when the wheels are not in full contact with the ground and ball bearings are of lower ABEC rating - referring to ball bearing accuracy and smoothness. you can check out more info at wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_skates

Take your time and test the boots, they arent cheap and actually the flip side is while you can go faster with better blades, you could also fall harder if you are not ready. I fell so many times and was a joke for my kids. :cry: Now, that's bonding too.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mickeyhmh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm

hi bee8250

Skateline is conducting holiday camp this March again. You can check out more at http://skateline.tzin.net/article/view/ ... 0101.rails

My son went for the Nov AND Dec camps last year & had a lot of fun. I find that the instructors did a good job in getting him from a non-skater to a relatively OK one in just 3 days! After the camps, WE (yes, both DS1 & I) then signed-up for lessons together... :roll: It was fun as he was able to 'show-off' his skills to mummy. He's gone on to the next level, while mummy is still struggling with the A-turns. :P

mickeyhmh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics