All About Sky Diving

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

All About Sky Diving

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 pm

insider wrote:Anyone with experience in this and could recommend me a place to enquire about the fees, structure, etc?

Son was trying to con me to allow him to sign up for one with a sports outlet. Told me fee is about $5000 (for about 10 days).

I told him if he wants, he has to work and save this amount during his school holidays.

Am trying to research on this myself behind his back first in case he really comes up with that amount subsequently.

He completed his basic diving course and also talking to me about wanting to go for higher level courses to Master level.

I told him basic course of about $500 maybe my obligation to sponsor him but anything higher please go make your own $$$...

doing it in NZ Wanaka will be nice
http://www.skydive.co.nz/
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Sky Diving

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

insider wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
doing it in NZ Wanaka will be nice
http://www.skydive.co.nz/

Thanks veryks2010 for the link.

Son is talking about a sky diving course where he can get a 'certificate/licence', something like after going through the basic diving course, he has a licence to rent equipment in the future for basic dives.

He is more into getting the sky diving licence so that next time he can sky dive alone with it.

I am not much into this kind of activities and I don't want to ask him further at the moment (coz I am not really for it and neither am I strongly against it, meaning if given a choice for me to 'advise' him, I would like to say, 'Son, dont go!').

PS:

I am still assessing whether he is trying to 'con' me.

He told me one of his future career options is to join national geographic /animal planet kind of companies as a photographer or film-maker. As it is a highly sought after kind of job, all these licences may give him an added advantage in his resume... (hahaha... still wondering how much truth in his words...)

http://www.skydivesingapore.com/

see the above link
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:38 pm

I did a tandem jump many years back (6 yrs?)... I think also with this skydivesingapore... I think they were named something else previously... shop at The Adelphi... dunno if they're still there.
Less than $500 per jump (1 day includes transport)... at Segamat Johor... cos' no place to jump in SG.
No training needed.
Back then, even single person jump... they just ask you to go to the retail shop for 2 nights... they just teach u there.
Spoke to the few instructors then (many of them are ex or current SAF regulars)... they also joke about army letting them jump for free (commando)... yet we pay $$ to jump here.
Basically... don't take this sport too seriously... but then again... kids/teens... they just want to learn things the hard way...
$5K can buy him the whole parachute equipment, instead of renting for every subsequent jumps... but keep at house for what?
Same goes to scuba diving... :celebrate:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Your son is a thrill seeker huh. First bungee now sky diving.
Has he done any form of sky diving before?

I did tandem sky diving before in NZ. Very thrilling and is an experience to remember.

Sky diving is an expensive activity, moreover, most of the skydiving spots are overseas so it is not something that you can do very often. So I guess it comes down to weather it is worth investing that $5k for that moment of interest.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:25 pm

I think for me, it will be my DD who will be giving me more grey hair with her thrill seeking character.

At 8, she is already a fan of roller coasters. She started rock climbing and if there is a course for kids her age she will be asking me to sign her up.

Can't blame her as I think both DH and I kinda encouraged her. I mean what can I say, both DH and I went bungee and sky diving. I took a scuba diving course as well. If my kids were to come up to me to say they wanna try all these, I will not say no but will tell them to wait till they are older, especially if the course is gonna cost that much.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Daddy D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:51 pm

insider wrote:PS: You mean beginner can jump solo on first try??? (fainted!)

Ya...
So it works out like...
1 jump = $500
10 jumps = $5000 (pay in advance... I guess that's how the operator survive... if not... how to cover daily expenses?)
And wah la... U're certified. :razz:
It's not rocket science... just jump n jump... n remember which strings to pull! :yikes:
Not to mention... the disclaimer thingy... aka... u die is your own business :faint:

Sorry, just being a skeptical parent... wait till my own dd gets older... :faint:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keltong » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:46 pm

So is your son working towards the sky diving course? I would have done it myself but I had an agreement with my wife when we get married that I will only do Tandem (which I did during our honeymoon). Fast forward 14 years and the closest I did was at iFly @ Sentosa. I would still love to do it if she agrees :) Maybe my boy will take my chance. Haha.

Ok, I did a little research, but I have problem locating information on the drop zone in Segamat, it may still be available, or it may not. And I also have a little trust issue with my neighbour up north :p

Another possibility is Thailand, but it is very expensive at more than S$5K, although it is a all-included package.

Alternative is to fly to Australia to do the AFF course. Their course is much cheaper, so if you include the flight there, you are still looking at comparable or cheaper costing. And call me bias, but I trust the Aussies more than our Asia counterpart.

A few website for you to read up:

http://www.waskydiving.com.au/aff.html
http://www.skydivenagambie.com/learn-to ... kages.html
http://www.skydive.com.au/html/AFFskydive.html

Cheers...very excited when talk about Sky Diving, a dream I cannot fulfill myself :D

keltong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: All About Sky Diving

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:55 pm

You will need to pay ME a lot of money if you want me to jump out of a perfectly working plane... :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: All About Sky Diving

Postby aprillee989 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:14 pm

i did mine about one year back in italy and it was truly an exceptional experience..the first few seconds after we jumped out of the plane i couldn't breathe coz of the pressure and maybe coz I'm nervous..but once the chute came off everything was fine..haha! i would recommend to do in more scenic places like Switzerland..the view u get would be unforgettable!

aprillee989
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics