All About Running/Jogging/Marathons/Triathlons

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Singapore Marathon (Anybody has joined 10K?)

Post by jerrycoaching » Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 am

Hello 542la!

My name is Teacher Jerry. I'm a finisher of St. Chart 42km marathon, Aviva Ironman 70.3 and a Swimming coach.

So just tot of sharing with you.

Well, for most of the 10km races, there is usually no cut of timing that you need to achieve. Most organisers would prefer you to take part in the race and enjoy it. So, you can walk,jog, or crawl to the finishing line. No problem at all. =)

If this is your 1st time taking part in a 10k race. I would recommend you to go and enjoy the race (*even if it meant walking all the way*)

I always share my 1st marathon story with the kiddos. Teacher Jerry limped all the way for my 42km. (*had a cramp at the 12km mark).

Of course, adequate preparation before the start of any race is cruicial and important. You should be cover at least 2km -5km a week (depending on how comfortable you are) before you embark onto your 1st 10km race.

Rule of the thumb. Train safe, train smart and enjoy your race. :dancing:

542la
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by 542la » Tue May 10, 2011 11:16 am

Oh wow...great! thanks for ellaborating Teacher Jerry!
I think i'm gonna join this year :D

jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jerrycoaching » Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 am

You are welcome!

To be inspired, you may take alook at my blog. hee... Hope that inspires u alittle! =)

http://www.twfec.org/2011/04/we-are-on-tv.html

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Faun » Tue May 10, 2011 11:52 am

jerrycoaching wrote:You are welcome!

To be inspired, you may take alook at my blog. hee... Hope that inspires u alittle! =)

Hi Teacher Jerry,

I'd also like to train for the 10km run. The most I could do now is 3.5km. I used to be able to do 6km and that was aeon ago and the longest I could do.

How should I train. Is it better to do road run or go McRitchie for the jungle run?

When is the marathon btw? Are there a few of this event in a year?

Thanks for your help.

jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jerrycoaching » Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Faun wrote:
jerrycoaching wrote:You are welcome!

Hi Teacher Jerry,

I'd also like to train for the 10km run. The most I could do now is 3.5km. I used to be able to do 6km and that was aeon ago and the longest I could do.

How should I train. Is it better to do road run or go McRitchie for the jungle run?

When is the marathon btw? Are there a few of this event in a year?

Thanks for your help.
Hello Faun!

You are way better than me! I couldn't even finish my 2.4km run during my army times. Now, I'm proud to say that I'm an Ironman 70.3 finisher! :boogie:

Well, 3.5km is a good distance if u r planning to go for a 10km run.

St Chart should be in Dec but there's 1 mizuno in Sept. Maybe you can look foward to that =)

Well, if time permits, you can start off with a short distance. Say, 2km/week. Then progress 4km/week -> 6km/week -> 8km/week.

I believe in progressive training. Most importantly is the discipline to go for that run despite feeling tired and sianz.( Hey! that happens to us always) :gloomy:

The initial part is always the most difficult. To get those engines running. But, hey. Once u get started. Keep those legs running until ur 1st race. U will be hooked onto it once u get to that finishing line.

Remember. We are talking about recreational running and completing the race. Not elite trainings.

So, get urself an mp3 player or a jogging buddy. Start off slow. Go and run ur favourite areas. (Mine is East coast park and Sembawang Park) Or a jog around ur estate. Enjoyment is the most important part to get things started.

On ya! get urslf a nice pair of shoes that u love so much that says "Let's go for a run! Wear me!!"

Hee.... :grphug:

rydy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by rydy » Tue May 10, 2011 3:24 pm

I hope one day I can achieve what Teacher Jerry (TJ) has accomplished. :salute:

Uncle liao, got heart, not enough power... :imdrowning:

I have signed up for 5 coming races - all 10 km.

Current weekly mileage is 25-30 km only @ 3 times/week. Will push more during next few weeks.

Will try Newton 18 km in Oct.

If I may comment:

Do not rush into training. Like what TJ said, take it slow and increase intensity at your own pace.

I started running in Nov 2010 and increased milage too fast trying to do SCMS 10km and got myself injured!
My knee ligaments were inflamed!

During Dec school holidays I was limping with my family in Club Med, cannot do a damn thing except doing water aerobics...sianz.

Took me about 4 weeks to fully recover. Also spent $$$ on Physio.

Anyway to cut the long story short. Take your time and most importantly enjoy your run!

There are some 50 races per year, so you have plenty to choose from! :)

Cheers!

jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jerrycoaching » Tue May 10, 2011 7:45 pm

rydy wrote:I hope one day I can achieve what Teacher Jerry (TJ) has accomplished. :salute:

Current weekly mileage is 25-30 km only @ 3 times/week. Will push more during next few weeks.

Will try Newton 18 km in Oct.

If I may comment:

Do not rush into training. Like what TJ said, take it slow and increase intensity at your own pace.

I started running in Nov 2010 and increased milage too fast trying to do SCMS 10km and got myself injured!

During Dec school holidays I was limping with my family in Club Med, cannot do a damn thing except doing water aerobics...sianz.

Anyway to cut the long story short. Take your time and most importantly enjoy your run!

Cheers!
Hey rydy!

There are ppl who complete their 1st marathon, 1st ironman races at the age of 50, 60s. So, dun give up easily! =)

So long you have the will. You will have the determination to do it!

25km-30km /week for a 10km run is more than enough. As you mentioned your past injuries. It's better to keep within the mileage and not overuse your knee caps and knee! :hi5:

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Faun » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey TJ and rydy,

I'm rely inspired by you guys. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I'll keep a lookout for the 10 km run. Frankly, I'm auntie liao so have to pace myself carefully. Doing the 10 km has been my wish for some time.

I usually do my run with my family at Punggol Park. Occassionally we do the reservoir trails. I used to have to stop very frequently to wait for my ds and dd but my ds now finishes 2 round at the park when I'm just about to complete 1. Even my dd, 11 is overtaking me now with ease. I really must buck up.

Yes, I've told dd we'll go buy some nice running gear after exam. Getting back to our swimming and running program again. How wonderful.

I think I'll try to do 6km/week to start off.

jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jerrycoaching » Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Faun wrote:Hey TJ and rydy,

I'm rely inspired by you guys. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I'll keep a lookout for the 10 km run. Frankly, I'm auntie liao so have to pace myself carefully. Doing the 10 km has been my wish for some time.

I usually do my run with my family at Punggol Park. Occassionally we do the reservoir trails. I used to have to stop very frequently to wait for my ds and dd but my ds now finishes 2 round at the park when I'm just about to complete 1. Even my dd, 11 is overtaking me now with ease. I really must buck up.

Yes, I've told dd we'll go buy some nice running gear after exam. Getting back to our swimming and running program again. How wonderful.

I think I'll try to do 6km/week to start off.

:udawoman: Jiayou!! Jiayou!!! :udaman:

swimironkids
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by swimironkids » Wed May 11, 2011 7:31 am

rydy wrote:I hope one day I can achieve what Teacher Jerry (TJ) has accomplished. :salute:

Will try Newton 18 km in O

If I may comment:

Cheers!
rdrd,
Im 51yrs old so Im also uncle but today Im proud to hv completed numerous 42k marathon, 1 Aviva half ironman, 5 Ironman, 1 ultramarathon.
I came in overall 190 in 42k age 47 with a timing of 3:33mins & last year at age 51, I came in 300 over 10,000+ runnners so dun give yourself excuses tat you uncle already. If I can do it so cann you but Im retiring from competion after my last marathon last dec due to injuries over the years of hard cored training..lol
So take jerry tips on his training & you wont regret its benefits to your health
There are also lots of running groups you can join which they will share & run wth you
Like Yan can cook so can you
Jeff
Last edited by swimironkids on Sat May 14, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.