All About Running/Jogging/Marathons/Triathlons

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:68

Re: Singapore Marathon (Anybody has joined 10K?)

Post by schweppes » Wed May 11, 2011 8:22 am

uh... i'm a very newbie runner and no where compared to all the ultra fit marathon runners here :oops: :oops:

But I want to pick up running to keep fit and for health sake. Have signed up for Shape Singapore 5km run, so have started training. So far, running 2km twice a week as a start. Where possible, I try to swim in between or replace my running if I don't have the opportunity to run that week.

Any advice for newbies like me? I know it's only 5km, but am very unfit and am determined to change my lifestyle. Thanks :wink:

rydy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by rydy » Wed May 11, 2011 9:51 am

swimironkids wrote:
rydy wrote:I hope one day I can achieve what Teacher Jerry (TJ) has accomplished. :salute:

Uncle liao, got heart, not enough power... :imdrowning:

I have signed up for 5 coming races - all 10 km.

Current weekly mileage is 25-30 km only @ 3 times/week. Will push more during next few weeks.

Will try Newton 18 km in O

If I may comment:

Do not rush into training. Like what TJ said, take it slow and increase intensity at your own pace.

I started running in Nov 2010 and increased milage too fast trying to do SCMS 10km and got myself injured!
My knee ligaments were inflamed!

During Dec school holidays I was limping with my family in Club Med, cannot do a damn thing except doing water aerobics...sianz.

Took me about 4 weeks to fully recover. Also spent $$$ on Physio.

Anyway to cut the long story short. Take your time and most importantly enjoy your run!

There are some 50 races per year, so you have plenty to choose from! :)

Cheers!

rdrd,
Im 51yrs old so Im also uncle but today Im proud to hv completed numerous 42k marathon, 1 Aviva half ironman, 5 Ironman, 1 ultramarathon.
I came in overall 190 in 42k age 47 with a timing of 3:33mins & last year at age 51, I came in 300 over 10k runnners so dun give yourself excuses tat you uncle already. If I can do it so cann you but Im retiring from competion after my last marathon last dec due to injuries over the years of hard cored training..lol
So take jerry tips on his training & you wont regret its benefits to your health
There are also lots of running groups you can join which they will share & run wth you
Like Yan can cook so can you
Jeff

51!? :shock:
You talk like that then you champion liao lor :smile:
Me a decade younger (oops) feel damn paiseh leh :oops:
OK I know age is no excuse...but, but, slowly increase mileage lah :wink: No marathon yet for me this year!
You take care!
Cheers!

jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jerrycoaching » Wed May 11, 2011 10:42 am

schweppes wrote:uh... i'm a very newbie runner and no where compared to all the ultra fit marathon runners here :oops: :oops:

But I want to pick up running to keep fit and for health sake. Have signed up for Shape Singapore 5km run, so have started training. So far, running 2km twice a week as a start. Where possible, I try to swim in between or replace my running if I don't have the opportunity to run that week.

Any advice for newbies like me? I know it's only 5km, but am very unfit and am determined to change my lifestyle. Thanks :wink:

Ello! :boogie:

If you are doing 2km x 2 per week. It's pretty good liaoz. =)

Shape Singapore 5km should be jammed packed?

Enjoy ur race! :congrats:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Post by schweppes » Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 pm

jerrycoaching wrote:Ello! :boogie:

Thanks Jerry for the encouragement. Ya, think Shape Spore will be very crowded too. Anyway decided to sign up so that I have a goal to work towards to. If all goes well, aiming to do 10km next year :pray:

:thankyou:

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Faun » Sat May 14, 2011 12:22 am

Hello TJ,

any idea how many calories get burnt swimming 20 laps?

i burn 198 calories for 3 km run. Do I have to swim 3 km (60 laps :yikes: ) to burn the same amount?

I am not crazy about this calorie counter thing but I saw it on the iPhone just now while running to measure my distance. Was curious how to correspond the reading to swimming exercise.

The haze is here. Any advice how to continue running without being to affected by it?

Also, why is it that our swimming goggles get foggy after a while even though it says anti-fog? Is it a quality problem? We use those around 25 bucks. Someone said to spit saliva on the goggles to make anti fog more effective, Eee yaks! Is that true?

Sorry I have so many questions.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Faun » Sat May 14, 2011 12:41 am

schweppes wrote:
jerrycoaching wrote:Ello! :boogie:

Thanks Jerry for the encouragement. Ya, think Shape Spore will be very crowded too. Anyway decided to sign up so that I have a goal to work towards to. If all goes well, aiming to do 10km next year :pray:

:thankyou:

Hi Shweppe,

There is Safra Bay Run on 4th Sep. The 5km fun run has a family package. Safra Member pay and all other family members run for free. I think sure to be extremely crowded but it'll be good family bonding to work towards the run. Early Bird registration only starts 20 May next Fri. I'll be getting dh to sign family up for the run.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by cimman » Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 am

Faun wrote:Hello TJ,

i burn 198 calories for 3 km run. Do I have to swim 3 km (60 laps :yikes: ) to burn the same amount?

I am not crazy about this calorie counter thing but I saw it on the iPhone just now while running to measure my distance. Was curious how to correspond the reading to swimming exercise.

The haze is here. Any advice how to continue running without being to affected by it?

Also, why is it that our swimming goggles get foggy after a while even though it says anti-fog? Is it a quality problem? We use those around 25 bucks. Someone said to spit saliva on the goggles to make anti fog more effective, Eee yaks! Is that true?

I'm not TJ, but I thought I'll like to chip in here.
With regards to swimming vs running, pound for pound, running burns more calories than swimming. In swimming, one's body is supported by the water, while in running, you support the whole weight, thus one burns more calories while running. The downside to running is that the knees takes a hit and as you hit mid 30s to early 40s, the constant running will cause knee joint problems, ie. deterioration of the cartilage. The calories burned during swimming also depends on your swimming profiency. If you're a beginner, most of your energy is spent in keeping afloat rather than propelling you forward, so you're not getting the full benefit of swimming. You'll only start getting into optimal calorie burning zone, when you have mastered the proper strokes techniques. I would really suggests going with swimming and mastering it's strokes. This will take some time but you will reap the rewards when you get to middle age, and become a competent swimmer. Constant running will probably require you to get a knee replacement surgery down the road.
However, to answer your question, if you intend to expend the same amount of calories as running 3km, you'll have to swim a lot longer than 3km, due to the inefficiencies of swimming. The exact distance will have to depend on the speed you swim and the your swimming proficiency.

As for the haze issue, it's best not to go outdoors for too long. An alternative is to exercise in the gym. Try the elliptical walker or exercise bike. When you push yourself to the limit on these machines, they are a good source for calorie burning. When I say push to the limit, I mean cycle (on the exercise bike) for as fast as you can (with resistance) for a minute and then rest half a minute. Do that for 10 cycles. You can hardly walk after that, but it's great calorie burning, and gives you great looking calves.

As for the goggles question, well all swimming anti fog goggles detioriates with time, regardless of the price. By that, I mean a couple of weeks to 2 to 3 months max, depending your usage. The way to maintain the anti fog quality is not to wet the inside of the goggles. Doing so will wipe off the anti fog chemical. Current technology just sprays on a layer of anti fog chemical on the googles, the anti fog material is not bonded to the goggles at the molecular level, thus any wipes will wash away the anti fog chemical. For regular maintenance of the anti fog properties, you will need to purchase a bottle of anti fog liquid. Spray it on the inner side of the goggles and let it dry overnight before swimming and be careful not to wet the inside of the goggles after that.

jerrycoaching
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jerrycoaching » Sat May 14, 2011 1:12 pm

cimman wrote:
Faun wrote:Hello TJ,

I'm not TJ, but I thought I'll like to chip in here.
With regards to swimming vs running, pound for pound, running burns more calories than swimming. In swimming, one's body is supported by the water, while in running, you support the whole weight, thus one burns more calories while running. The downside to running is that the knees takes a hit and as you hit mid 30s to early 40s, the constant running will cause knee joint problems, ie. deterioration of the cartilage. The calories burned during swimming also depends on your swimming profiency. If you're a beginner, most of your energy is spent in keeping afloat rather than propelling you forward, so you're not getting the full benefit of swimming. You'll only start getting into optimal calorie burning zone, when you have mastered the proper strokes techniques. I would really suggests going with swimming and mastering it's strokes. This will take some time but you will reap the rewards when you get to middle age, and become a competent swimmer. Constant running will probably require you to get a knee replacement surgery down the road.
However, to answer your question, if you intend to expend the same amount of calories as running 3km, you'll have to swim a lot longer than 3km, due to the inefficiencies of swimming. The exact distance will have to depend on the speed you swim and the your swimming proficiency.

As for the haze issue, it's best not to go outdoors for too long. An alternative is to exercise in the gym. Try the elliptical walker or exercise bike. When you push yourself to the limit on these machines, they are a good source for calorie burning. When I say push to the limit, I mean cycle (on the exercise bike) for as fast as you can (with resistance) for a minute and then rest half a minute. Do that for 10 cycles. You can hardly walk after that, but it's great calorie burning, and gives you great looking calves.

As for the goggles question, well all swimming anti fog goggles detioriates with time, regardless of the price. By that, I mean a couple of weeks to 2 to 3 months max, depending your usage. The way to maintain the anti fog quality is not to wet the inside of the goggles. Doing so will wipe off the anti fog chemical. Current technology just sprays on a layer of anti fog chemical on the googles, the anti fog material is not bonded to the goggles at the molecular level, thus any wipes will wash away the anti fog chemical. For regular maintenance of the anti fog properties, you will need to purchase a bottle of anti fog liquid. Spray it on the inner side of the goggles and let it dry overnight before swimming and be careful not to wet the inside of the goggles after that.

Yupz! Cimman have already mentioned most of the questions! Hee... Well, my best guess for an average person swimming 1.5km in the pool (leisurely), we should be look at calories burnt of 300-550cal. :imconstipated:

And yes, like what cimman have said, running does hurt your knees while swimming is most probably if not, an injury free exercise. :cheeky:

Yupz. Haze is here. I'm not a doctor but I would suggest working outdoors for 1hour for this period. Gym wise, really depends on individual. No doubt those boring machines in the gym trains your muscles faster and burn off more fats. I for 1, simply hates the gym. Dunnoe why. I prefer to roam about outside. Haha... But Haze is here. So boh bian. Gym is a safer choice. :imcool:

As for the Anti Fog, some reputable goggles out there are TYR, Arena, Speedo, Oasis. Just to name a few. These goggles(mid - top range) usually come with anti fog, uv protection.

What happens is. Most of us itchy fingers, see the goggles blur already, use fingers to go and wipe. That's where the anti-fog chemicals will go off together with the fingers. :nunchuk:

Yes, if ur goggles become blur, split saliva (minus away the flame!! Heee...) into ur goggles and rub it. You goggles should last u for a good 10mins in the water. Before u repeat the whole process again. Heee... :sick:

For a less disgusting method, You can always buy "anti fog" chemicals from any leading sports shop. Range should be $10-$30 for a small bottle. :please:

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Faun » Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks cinman and TJ

for taking time to answer my questions. I never knew that the anti-fog chemical can be removed by water or hand rub. My goodness, the saliva method can actually work albeit not lasting.

So it seems more worthwhile to run than swim in terms of burning calories and time spent doing the exercise. But I'll still swim as my yoga instructor told me the freestyle is good for strengthening the lower back.

With regards to the knee, I think if I balance intensity with frequency and not overdo, running should be okay. Eventually, if knee problem start, then do walking instead.

I don't like to go to the gym because there are always so many men there, not comfortable, unless dh comes along. Also, prefer to run with scenery.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Post by schweppes » Sun May 15, 2011 11:13 am

Faun wrote:Hi Shweppe,

There is Safra Bay Run on 4th Sep. The 5km fun run has a family package. Safra Member pay and all other family members run for free. I think sure to be extremely crowded but it'll be good family bonding to work towards the run. Early Bird registration only starts 20 May next Fri. I'll be getting dh to sign family up for the run.

:thankyou: Faun for the info. Will go check it out :hugs: