All About Badminton

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
super-mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About Badminton

Post by super-mom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a badminton racket for my boy, beginner age 7, 130cm. Can anyone recommend the suitable brand/model? Should he use a child or regular adult size racket? I guess it should be lightweight for a beginner?

Thanks a lot!

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by Zappy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:01 am

super-mom wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for a badminton racket for my boy, beginner age 7, 130cm. Can anyone recommend the suitable brand/model? Should he use a child or regular adult size racket? I guess it should be lightweight for a beginner?

Thanks a lot!
I think in general, most of the kids in school now use the standard rackets to begin instead of kids' rackets. The standard rackets also have different weights so there are also light ones. In this way, they do not need to transition to the longer lengths when they play games in future.

There are many choices and brands (Victor/ Li Ning/ Yonex) - but they all have the different weights/ grip sizes so you should bring your child to go touch and feel first. The prices also range quite a bit. You can go Queensway/ Bras Basah to see all the different ranges as well as the major sports shops like Sportslink.

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kiasu_pig » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:47 pm

kiasu_pig wrote:
Joyymum wrote:Active mum
May I know are you related to the tennis coach whom you are recommending or are you the coach ?
Am curious why you keep mentioning the coach contact.
2-Oct-16
Activemum wrote:If you keen in badminton coaching, you can try this cool coach. Email to xtremexn@gmail.com for quick replies.
11-Oct-16
activemum wrote:You can try contacting this coach. He even made a special racket for kids version. Light and good. Holiday coaching season is starting. Hurry to grab a spot from him early. xtremexn@gmail.com
Upzzzz :rahrah:

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by nms1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:25 am

My elder boy (P3) currently plays football but he doesn't really enjoy it; we have persisted as he is the "geeky" type and would never get any exercise if he didn't go to football! Anyway, I have been asking him if he would like to try something else and he now says he wants to try badminton. His school has it as CCA but he wants to continue his robotics and as it is a niche sport for his school, I doubt he would be accepted anyway.

Any recommendations for schools around the Serangoon area which are not too results/competition focus. I don't think he will ever be a great player so enjoyment is the key factor.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:07 pm

nms1 wrote:My elder boy (P3) currently plays football but he doesn't really enjoy it; we have persisted as he is the "geeky" type and would never get any exercise if he didn't go to football! Anyway, I have been asking him if he would like to try something else and he now says he wants to try badminton. His school has it as CCA but he wants to continue his robotics and as it is a niche sport for his school, I doubt he would be accepted anyway.

Any recommendations for schools around the Serangoon area which are not too results/competition focus. I don't think he will ever be a great player so enjoyment is the key factor.
You can actually approach Coach Gong Ge (coach at Maris Stella) for private lessons if you don't want your kid to go for the trial or join the CCA. He conducts these on weekends at school grounds. He has his own badminton school GE Sports. Can google for the school and the fee structure is there.

jtee07
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by jtee07 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:46 am

pallumisra wrote:Hi, any recommendations for badmintion class for 5 and 8 years old around Bedok/Tampines. Thank you!
Hi, just chanced upon this forum on Badminton and saw your question on badminton class in Bedok/Tampines. You can try JD Academy (http://www.jdbadmintonacademy.com/) which has weekly lesson on Sat at Bedok South.

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kiasu_pig » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:48 pm

jtee07 wrote:
pallumisra wrote:Hi, any recommendations for badmintion class for 5 and 8 years old around Bedok/Tampines. Thank you!
Hi, just chanced upon this forum on Badminton and saw your question on badminton class in Bedok/Tampines. You can try JD Academy (http://www.jdbadmintonacademy.com/) which has weekly lesson on Sat at Bedok South.
ActiveSG has ongoing programme for badminton lessons held at selected sports centres islandwide E.g. Ris Pasir. The programme is affordable, but more importantly for learners new to the sport to experience with it. As the programme is inexpensive, student to coach ratio maybe uncomfortable to some.

There's plenty of badminton academies around too, and to suit ones need. Some of the bigger ones do have their regular inhouse mini competitions, but all should be able to enrol their students to open competitions eg community centre competitions, sports drinks sponsored compettions etc. And personalised jerseys as well. :imcool:

precioustime96
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by precioustime96 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Does anyone play badminton at around the Bishan area? Would love to look for someone to play with on a regular basis (:

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kiasu_pig » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 pm

kiasu_pig wrote:
kiasu_pig wrote:
Joyymum wrote:Active mum
May I know are you related to the tennis coach whom you are recommending or are you the coach ?
Am curious why you keep mentioning the coach contact.
2-Oct-16
Activemum wrote:If you keen in badminton coaching, you can try this cool coach. Email to xtremexn@gmail.com for quick replies.
11-Oct-16
activemum wrote:You can try contacting this coach. He even made a special racket for kids version. Light and good. Holiday coaching season is starting. Hurry to grab a spot from him early. xtremexn@gmail.com
Upzzzz :rahrah:
11-Feb-17
extremepower wrote:Hi,

Anyone here need a cool badminton coach? You may email me at xtremexn@gmail.com
Book my time early as the slot maybe limited (subject to time and location as it may clash with my other schedules). I already have many students. See if I can schedule one for you. Do pass around. ;)

Thanks.
Finally.

kbmiti
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by kbmiti » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Where can i find badminton classes for kids around Jurong area?