How to glue back the sole of track shoes?

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Postby Zhuge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Should I use supa-glue or go to a cobbler?

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to glue back the sole of track shoes?

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 pm

If you go to the cobbler, he will tell you it is only temporary. So usually I have to throw them away. The main solution is really to use the shoes regularly and it will depreciate its useful life beautifully. So not much help here but there is one brand that opens up easily when the shoes get parked for a while without using....it's "Let's Do it!"...perhaps it is to tie back with its slogan t encourage more exercise....... :rotflmao:

Postby Zhuge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Mr Mint charges $10 for it.

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby auntieM » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 pm

There is a good and inexpensive cobbler at Parkway Parade if you are not too far away... :smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 pm

tried superglue before and not much good cos' it came off after one or two wear.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pojo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Just to share my experience. I had a pair of Nike trackshoes whose sole and other bits came unglued. I tried gluing it together using the proper glue for putting leather and other rubber products together. It worked for maybe 2 weeks before the pieces came unglued again. The reason, I reckon, is because it is difficult to hold the 2 sides together while waiting for the glue to dry. I tried using clothes peg to hold both sides but due to the irregular shape of the trackshoes, it didn't work out well. In other words, DIY is difficult.

On one of my regular visits to Melaka, I brought the trackshoes to a cobbler stall there. Now this cobbler stall (3 persons there) is relatively professional. What they did was not only to glue the sole to the shoe but also poke holes around the sole and using thread and needle, sew the sole to the bottom of the shoe. (yes, I am not joking.) This took about 2 - 3 hours. I was charged the princely sum of RM17 for the job. Sewing the sole to the bottom of the shoe made the glue stick properly. I have been wearing the trackshoes for more than 6 months now (worn more than 60 times for jogging). The bits on the side are coming out a bit but the sole is totally intact.

To make the long story short, if your cobbler wants to just glue the sole to the bottom of the shoe without sewing, forget it. It will not last. On the other hand, it may cost too much to have the shoes sewn and glued in Singapore.

pojo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Zhuge » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:59 pm

pojo wrote:Just to share my experience. I had a pair of Nike trackshoes whose sole and other bits came unglued. I tried gluing it together using the proper glue for putting leather and other rubber products together. It worked for maybe 2 weeks before the pieces came unglued again. The reason, I reckon, is because it is difficult to hold the 2 sides together while waiting for the glue to dry. I tried using clothes peg to hold both sides but due to the irregular shape of the trackshoes, it didn't work out well. In other words, DIY is difficult.

On one of my regular visits to Melaka, I brought the trackshoes to a cobbler stall there. Now this cobbler stall (3 persons there) is relatively professional. What they did was not only to glue the sole to the shoe but also poke holes around the sole and using thread and needle, sew the sole to the bottom of the shoe. (yes, I am not joking.) This took about 2 - 3 hours. I was charged the princely sum of RM17 for the job. Sewing the sole to the bottom of the shoe made the glue stick properly. I have been wearing the trackshoes for more than 6 months now (worn more than 60 times for jogging). The bits on the side are coming out a bit but the sole is totally intact.

To make the long story short, if your cobbler wants to just glue the sole to the bottom of the shoe without sewing, forget it. It will not last. On the other hand, it may cost too much to have the shoes sewn and glued in Singapore.

yes Mr Mint said glue won't be good enough.
But the glueing and stitching cost $40 (1 shoe).
Is the cobbler you went in M'sia professional type like Mr Mint or those 'roadside stall' type?

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby twilight » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:46 pm

My shoes were stitched by a roadside cobbler in Malaysia and they have lasted fairly well. It's been half a year since I got them stitched and they're still in tact. I wear them to school, so my shoes are being worn nearly everyday, but they're still lasting.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zhuge » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:19 pm

twilight wrote:My shoes were stitched by a roadside cobbler in Malaysia and they have lasted fairly well. It's been half a year since I got them stitched and they're still in tact. I wear them to school, so my shoes are being worn nearly everyday, but they're still lasting.

is it track shoes?

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby twilight » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:15 am

Yeah Nike running shoes.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics