How do you find good coach for your child?

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

How do you find good coach for your child?

Postby elishatan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Other than this forum, do you use other methods to find coaches?

Also, what qualities do you look for in a coach?

elishatan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How do you find good coach for your child?

Postby elishatan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 am

Wah, that's a brillant track record! How did you first find out about her? From a friend?

elishatan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How do you find good coach for your child?

Postby try » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 am

Best is to observe the coach for a period of time before engaging - go to the place where the sports is played and approach the coach you like. Even after you engage the coach, you still have to evaluate constantly. Why?

1) Some coaches do tend to get into the monotony after a period of time - so if you don't evaluate, your child will not progress as fast or may even lose interest.

2) Some coaches can only coach more sports-inclined children or these children may have other trainings - so what you observed may not be the whole picture.

I speak from experience. Some coaches who suit others may not suit you. Your expectations will not be the same as the one who post the recommendation. My children had a coach who was discouraging to one of my children(he just wanted to coach my other child who was better at sports) and his coaching is of limited calibre. However, I did not post a negative comment because I feel that his attitude may be different towards others and also others may have lesser expectations. So just move on and be more vigilant.

So what I look for in a good coach :-
1) Attitude - Be willing to help the child to improve - can be fierce but must be reasonable
2) Innovate - Able to think of ways to help improve a child's weakness. Although repetitions are required, if your child is already putting a lot of hours and not seeing improvement, this means the coach is still not able to pinpoint what's wrong and your child is thus practising the wrong stuff.
3) Disciplined - Not lazy and should not try to find time to talk too much to child or parents or give long breaks
4) Be a role model during the lesson - do not be late, do not smoke, do not be temperamental etc

Hope helps....

try
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics