Synchronized swimming

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Synchronized swimming

Postby Gwendolen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:21 pm

My daughter (almost 6yo) wants to do synchronized swimming. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Gwendolen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nozomi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:32 pm

There is a coach named Grace from SCGS, 91828896. She speaks Mandarin better. If your girl can enter her team, it'll be easy to get into SCGS too. Must let you know though, syncro is very tough with heavy training schedules, performances and competition. If you think your daughter can manage studies well on top of this, you may consider this sports. Afterall, Singapore is building her team. I know because my cousin is in the national synchro team and she is representing S'pore in Japan this Aug. Imagine juggling competition and psle this year. But she likes it anyway.

nozomi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Gwendolen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:53 am

Thank you, nozomi. My daughter is an English-speaker (though she is learning Mandarin, she doesn't really speak it yet) and she is at an International school already. I did synchronized swimming myself as a child (not in SG) so I know what it involves. I explained it to my daughter but she is still very keen! :) Will check your recommendation.

Gwendolen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby astronomer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Gwendolen, if you are living somewhere in the north, you can try the aquatic club at the Singapore Sports School (Woodlands). It is not part of the Sports School - the club just opperates from there and uses the pool facility there.

Though the club is not part of the Sports school, it has a close relationship. If I am not mistaken, the sports school recently started a synchro academy and the coach is from this club.

Even if you are not living in the north it is quite accessible as the sports school is just beside the SLE expressway.

Another club that has synchro is at Farrer park. Champion swimmer Ang Peng Siong's swim school. No, Mr Ang Peng Siong does not coach synchro - I would think he leaves it to his synchro coaches to do the coaching :lol:

astronomer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Gwendolen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:52 pm

astronomer, thank you for your reply. We live in Holland Village area...

Gwendolen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby astronomer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Gwendolen wrote:astronomer, thank you for your reply. We live in Holland Village area...

The unfortunate thing about synchro in Singapore is - there are not many coaches and clubs for it. Besides the two I mentioned and Coach Grace (which nozomi had mentioned), I don't think there are other.

Correct me, nozomi, if I am mistaken - Coach Grace is Coach Cui Ru?

Ok, I think maybe...just maybe, the Swiss School may have a synchro coach. You can try them but even if they do have synchro it may be just for the students at the Swiss School.

astronomer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby astronomer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:25 pm

hi Gwendolen, I mentioned about Swiss School because I recalled there was a part time Swiss synchro coach back during the time when my dd was doing synchro. She may not be from the Swiss school. I know she is from one of the international schools but maybe not the Swiss School. Then again, since it was some 2-3 years ago, she may not be around now. Just to let you know.

So has your girl started synchro? My dd was also 6 when she started.

astronomer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby astronomer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Gwendolen, found out that the Swiss coach is still around and still giving coaching lesson to beginners. Her name is Denise and she is currently with aquaducks (www.aquaducks.com.sg). I think she coaches at the Swiss Club pool. (Sorry don't know where that is - probably at Swiss Club Road? :roll: That would be quite near Holland V.)

astronomer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nozomi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:13 pm

For your information, Grace is starting her beginners class at Queenstown swimming pool from Sep 09 on Thurs and Fri from 4.30 to 6.30pm. She was a coach in APS. I said wrongly but Grace speaks good English too. Grace and Cui Ru are 2 different persons.

nozomi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nozomi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:14 pm

For your information, Grace is starting her beginners class at Queenstown swimming pool from Sep 09 on Thurs and Fri from 4.30 to 6.30pm. She was a coach in APS. I said wrongly but Grace speaks good English too. Grace and Cui Ru are 2 different persons.

nozomi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics