All About Taekwondo

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
learningtobekiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Any good TKD clubs to recommend?

Post by learningtobekiasu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 am

heutistmeintag wrote:Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. Hmm, I stay in the east and hence would prefer one eastside to reduce a amount of travelling. Petrol is so expensive thiese days. :D
they have a branch in katong. give them a call. its great if your kid takes an interest. my son has been in JH Kim since he was 4.5 or 5. he will be getting his red belt this month and probably black by mid year. it has done wonders for his fitness and confidence levels.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by heutistmeintag » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks for the additional info and my apologies for responding late.

My older boy have gone to sec1 and my daughter is in P6. Their interests in TKD are declining and they decided to complete their poome grading and competitions this year. They want to move on to other sports.

It's kind of waste to stop here coz I know TKD will become an official sports in the inter-school calender in 2010 and they could have an opportunity to do well there. Oh well, they have a mind of their own now. ... :(

JCase
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Any good TKD clubs to recommend?

Post by JCase » Thu May 07, 2009 11:11 am

learningtobekiasu wrote:
heutistmeintag wrote:
2bbtang wrote:
my son has been in JH Kim since he was 4.5 or 5. he will be getting his red belt this month and probably black by mid year. it has done wonders for his fitness and confidence levels.
That's nice to hear. My son has a trial at JH Kim next weekend - Turf City. Hopefully he likes it.

He seems interested in MA because I do it but I'm not keen for him to learn the style that I am doing now at his young age.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by BlueBells » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm

If I am not wrong, poome belt is the equivalent of black belt, except that it is meant for children below 15 years old. That means to say, if your child achieved poome belt when he is 10 years old, he will stay at that level, until he take a test to convert his poome belt to black belt when he reaches 15.

My 9 year old DS1 is currently holding a black tip. We intend to let her continue for as long as possible, as a form of exercise, self-defence, and also hopefully to instill some form of discipline and responsibility; since poome belt (aka senior belt) is also expected to do some form or coaching to the white belts.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by heutistmeintag » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Did any of your kids join the recent TKD Inter-school? I've a clip to share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKn3h6tE2Go

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

Post by titank » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi All,

Does the Community Centre TKD course ok to enroll? Intend to let my child learn some "Kungfu".

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by heutistmeintag » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:18 pm

titank wrote:Hi All,

Does the Community Centre TKD course ok to enroll? Intend to let my child learn some "Kungfu".
I believe the CC TKD courses are run by some of the TKD clubs. They are relatively affordable but when the crowd gets big, the individual child gets less focus. If you want the child to excel, then either go to a good club or practise more often at home. :)

Which CC are you looking at? BTW, take note if the clubs are affiliated to the Singapore TKD Federation (STF). TKD will be recognized as an official school sports in 2010 and the child's achievement is only official recognized if trained by STF coaches.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

Post by titank » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:57 am

heutistmeintag wrote:
titank wrote:Hi All,

I believe the CC TKD courses are run by some of the TKD clubs. They are relatively affordable but when the crowd gets big, the individual child gets less focus. If you want the child to excel, then either go to a good club or practise more often at home. :)

Which CC are you looking at? BTW, take note if the clubs are affiliated to the Singapore TKD Federation (STF). TKD will be recognized as an official school sports in 2010 and the child's achievement is only official recognized if trained by STF coaches.
Oh looking at Bukit Merah CC since it is nearest to me. Sorry you mean CC the coaches some of them is not STF coaches? :wink:

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by heutistmeintag » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:13 am

titank wrote:Oh looking at Bukit Merah CC since it is nearest to me. Sorry you mean CC the coaches some of them is not STF coaches? :wink:
You could check with the coach first and validate here
http://www.stf.sg/modules/aff/

Caveat: The lists may not be updated. You could call STF directly and ask them too.

Well in case you and your child want to see some actions by the CC's TKD senior students (red belt and above), there is a PA-STF Kyorugi (sparring) competition this weekend. The whole competition will last 2 days at Yishun indoor stadium and I think the children bouts are scheduled partially on Sat and whole of SUnday. You could get more info here http://www.stf.sg/modules/news/article.php?storyid=515.

Do share your thoughts after you have attended.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

All About Taekwando

Post by vlim » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Original Title: start taekwando at what age???

Hi I would like to find out what is the good age for girl to start learning taekwando as I have heard they might get 'blue-black' on legs during training.. :?