BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:57 pm
sob7 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 pm
Most schools around the Bukit Timah area are fairly good, I was asking if your child is keen on competition as some schools do not participate much in competitions.
Around the Bukit Timah area you have JH Kim, ildo, trifecta, kyunghee that I would utilise the trial class for your child to see if he likes which one
Thanks sob7!

From your knowledge, which are the schools that participate often in competitions?

I also see from some schools' timetable that they have Level 1, 2 or 3 classes. Are these levels determined by each school or is there a common understanding of what belt levels go under each level?
Last time was grouped according to colour belts, example white belt and yellow tip in a group. Now I noticed they expanded few more level before reaching yellow belt. I walked pass JE branch not sure what name, and saw instructor playing catch with the kids.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Serendipity » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:27 am

sob7 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:06 pm
Serendipity wrote:
sob7 wrote:
Most schools around the Bukit Timah area are fairly good, I was asking if your child is keen on competition as some schools do not participate much in competitions.
Around the Bukit Timah area you have JH Kim, ildo, trifecta, kyunghee that I would utilise the trial class for your child to see if he likes which one
Thanks sob7!

From your knowledge, which are the schools that participate often in competitions?

I also see from some schools' timetable that they have Level 1, 2 or 3 classes. Are these levels determined by each school or is there a common understanding of what belt levels go under each level?
JH Kim, Ildo, Trifecta I see a lot in competitions, Kyunghee might have but I did not notice.

The levels mostly by schools, usually not related to belts.

Good luck on the TKD journey
Thanks sob7! :smile:

Oh btw, I happened to see on Kyunghee's fb timeline that they had students at the last poomsae competition too. So I guess they do join competitions too.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Serendipity » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 am

peasants wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm
Serendipity wrote:
sob7 wrote:
Thanks sob7!

Last time was grouped according to colour belts, example white belt and yellow tip in a group. Now I noticed they expanded few more level before reaching yellow belt. I walked pass JE branch not sure what name, and saw instructor playing catch with the kids.
Yeah, now there are more grading levels to clear... I half-jokingly tell my friends that this is a way to earn more of our :moneyflies:

AnneS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by AnneS » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:12 am

To those looking for a Taekwondo school, HanKuk Taekwondo School @ Upper Thomson is good one! they have well maintained facilities and lessons are effective!

sob7
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by sob7 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:24 pm

AnneS wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:12 am
To those looking for a Taekwondo school, HanKuk Taekwondo School @ Upper Thomson is good one! they have well maintained facilities and lessons are effective!
Is it at the stretch with the eateries and Thomson CC?
3 TKD schs there if I remember correctly, one new one at Thomson Imperial court

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Post by ChiefKiasu » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 am
Yeah, now there are more grading levels to clear... I half-jokingly tell my friends that this is a way to earn more of our :moneyflies:
Half jokingly? That's the exact reason why they increased the grading levels. They find that lots of kids drop out before reaching the lowest belts and it was too easy to reach black belt if you stay for at most a couple of years!

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Serendipity » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:57 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Half jokingly? That's the exact reason why they increased the grading levels. They find that lots of kids drop out before reaching the lowest belts and it was too easy to reach black belt if you stay for at most a couple of years!
How long did it take to reach the first grading test in the past? I must say it's amazingly soon nowadays but then the Foundation tests are really easy to pass.

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by peasants » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:29 pm

3 months

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by peasants » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:42 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Need to buy more STF endorsed uniform too cos kids grown up fast.

Lanzhou
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Lanzhou » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 pm

My son’s belt upgrades are free. A new tip or belt is only given when the coach thinks the child has progressed enough to earn it. It took my son’s class one year before any of them progressed to a yellow belt. The teachers see what level the child’s at so in my opinion there’s no reason to be charging fees for belt upgrades, and definitely not for frequent belt upgrades.

If a martial arts place has a high turnover of students, then what does that say about them? My child’s gym hasn’t lost a single student in the year he’s been there; the only kids who disappear from his class are the ones who have progressed to the older kids group.