OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by DavidFhu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:31 pm

peasants wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm
Hi Serendipity,

My kids attend both STF and STA, not endorsing cos they benefit from both disciplines.

For STF during my time in 2010s, they are more into sports, which are those you see in Olympic Games, SEA Games, Asean Games etc. Not sure about STF now as they change syllabus a lot. They focus more on kicks though. This should remain unchange.

STA is more into self defense and practical applications. They will practice breakfalls, self defense tactics. Both punches and kicks spread evenly.

Both STF and STA have non contact sparrings and patterns to master.

Google difference between STF and STA for more details. Below is a related link from ST, interesting read.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... rtial-arts
As an addon, in the Singapore context, it is STF (Sport TKD) and STA (Self defence TKD). In World context, it is WTF (Sport TKD) and ITF (Self defence TKD)

It depends on what you plan to achieve with TKD. If you just want yourself or kids to learn it as a sport, guess WTF is the way. If you plan to use it for self defense, ITF is the way.

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by Serendipity » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:33 am

DavidFhu wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 pm
ChiefKiasu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 am
Yeah, now there are more grading levels to clear... I half-jokingly tell my friends that this is a way to earn more of our :moneyflies:
Half jokingly? That's the exact reason why they increased the grading levels. They find that lots of kids drop out before reaching the lowest belts and it was too easy to reach black belt if you stay for at most a couple of years!
I felt that the comment is an injustice to people who set the process.

http://www.stf.sg/grading/1571-new-grading-system

The 3 foundation levels for participants (12 years old and below) and an intermediate poom belt stage for juniors (15 years old and below)

Is there a possibility for double promotion?

Yes, candidates who do reasonably well in Foundation 3 will be given double promotion.

Just read more from the website. If the kids below 12, yet can fulfil the requirement, I don't see why the coach cannot ask for a double or triple promotion from the examiner.

It is unfair to make any comments without understanding the sports.
I'm curious... How do double promotions in TKD work?

Does the candidate take say the yellow belt test and do extremely well for the examiner to decide to give him a double promotion to green belt (instead of green tip --> green belt)?

Or does the coach decide that a candidate at yellow belt is so good that he can go straight for a green belt test? :?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:27

Post by peasants » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am

Serendipity wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:33 am
DavidFhu wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 pm
ChiefKiasu wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Half jokingly? That's the exact reason why they increased the grading levels. They find that lots of kids drop out before reaching the lowest belts and it was too easy to reach black belt if you stay for at most a couple of years!
I felt that the comment is an injustice to people who set the process.

http://www.stf.sg/grading/1571-new-grading-system

The 3 foundation levels for participants (12 years old and below) and an intermediate poom belt stage for juniors (15 years old and below)

Is there a possibility for double promotion?

Yes, candidates who do reasonably well in Foundation 3 will be given double promotion.

Just read more from the website. If the kids below 12, yet can fulfil the requirement, I don't see why the coach cannot ask for a double or triple promotion from the examiner.

It is unfair to make any comments without understanding the sports.
I'm curious... How do double promotions in TKD work?

Does the candidate take say the yellow belt test and do extremely well for the examiner to decide to give him a double promotion to green belt (instead of green tip --> green belt)?

Or does the coach decide that a candidate at yellow belt is so good that he can go straight for a green belt test? :?
It is at the discretion of the examiners.

isn4i
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by isn4i » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:08 am

Is it only STF cam apply TKD badge in army or any TKD organization also can?
Last edited by isn4i on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:08 pm

isn4i wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:08 am
peasants wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 pm
Serendipity wrote:
Thanks for the quick lesson... Wow... your kids attend both concurrently?

Actually how do we tell whether a TKD school is under STF or STA? From their uniform?
Both my kids train under STF for 4 years from age of 4, then switch to STA till current. They are P6 and Sec 3 this year.

Look out for STF logos in training schools, or ask the trainer. This is real easy, simply because they are much much bigger outfit. For STA, go to their webby or FB for their training venues.

Another way to spot is their uniform tops. STF is pull over type. Adult black belts will have black collars and black belt. Kids black belt will have red-black collars and red-black belts aka poom belt. Non black belt for junior and adult will wear all white uniform tops with color belts.

STA uniform tops are like those button down top but is held by 2 thick strings instead of buttons. Adult black belts will have black linings along the bottom of the uniform tops and black belt. Junior blackbelt is plain white tops and black colour belt. Non black belts for junior and adult wear all white with color belts.

Both STF and STA wordings are printed at the back of the uniforms.

Black belts could apply for TKD badge in the army.
Is it only STF cam apply TKD badge in army or any TKD organization also can?
"The Tae Kwon Do Black Belt Badge is awarded to personnel who attain the 1st Dan and above in Tae-Kwon-Do, either through the SAF or a certified civilian club, the qualifications of which are recognised by the SAF."

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by peasants » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Has any of the kids ever engage in all out sparring, totally disregard in techniques and just whack?

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 pm

peasants wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:34 pm
Has any of the kids ever engage in all out sparring, totally disregard in techniques and just whack?
I guess all kids do that. Others than those that play by the rule, like my son.

My club has one teenage injury his wrist while kicked by others that go all out. Two week MC.

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by sob7 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:38 am

peasants wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:34 pm
Have but always end up badly, can remember one time when my gal went up against a first timer in competition. The opponent coach only tell her to keep kicking, credit to her she did for almost 2 rounds, my gal just avoid and counter until they stopped the match due to gap point difference ( 49-2).

when my gal was younger in a practice session, coach put a boy with my gal.From the start go, he chiong and whack as hard as he could as boys do.She wore him down and left him crying after the session.

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by peasants » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 am

My kid encounter is like those in Karate Kid movies. Cocky opponent, jeering and snaring. Can't believe it happened in real life. So went all out and whack like street fight. Even got the match video. Strawberry nowadays, incredible.

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 pm

A lot of time, in Singapore, coaches do not teach TKD Philosophy

In Taekwondo, it adopt different philosophical underpinnings. Many of these underpinnings however refer back to the Five Commandments of the Hwarang as a historical referent. For example, Choi Hong Hi (Founder) expressed his philosophical basis for Taekwondo as the Five Tenets of Taekwondo

Courtesy (yeui / 예의, 禮儀)
Integrity (yeomchi / 염치, 廉恥)
Perseverance (innae / 인내, 忍耐)
Self-control (geukgi / 극기, 克己)
Indomitable spirit (baekjeolbulgul / 백절불굴, 百折不屈)

These tenets are further articulated in a Taekwondo oath, also authored by Choi:

I shall observe the tenets of Taekwondo
I shall respect the instructor and seniors
I shall never misuse Taekwondo
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more peaceful world

From the underpinning, Singapore Taekwondo Federation come out with STF Pledge as below:

“We, the members of Singapore Taekwondo Federation, pledge that
· we shall remain humble, honest and helpful at all times,
· we shall respect our elders, parents, coaches, seniors and one another regardless of race, language, class or creed,
· we shall believe in ourselves and persist no matter how great the challenge to achieve our noble aspirations,
· we shall develop our characters, qualities and abilities to serve our community and our country and
· we shall abide by the rules and regulations of Taekwondo and the laws of Singapore.”

But again, only Brown Tip and above will learn about this.