All About Taekwondo

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Serendipity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:36 pm

So the first cert a TKD student gets is after 1st poom? Is it an STF cert or Kukkiwon cert (which I see some TKD students get)?

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by peasants » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Yes, 1st Poom receive first cert. Any grade below is reflected on grading card. STF cert is more applicable as it is recognise by NCC and SAF. No question ask.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Serendipity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:11 pm

peasants wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Yes, 1st Poom receive first cert. Any grade below is reflected on grading card. STF cert is more applicable as it is recognise by NCC and SAF. No question ask.
I see... what advantage is there to get a Kukkiwon cert then? Recognition overseas?

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by peasants » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:11 pm
peasants wrote:
I see... what advantage is there to get a Kukkiwon cert then? Recognition overseas?
I guess its more for rankings in international competitions. So if really want Kukkiwon cert with STF logo, apply thru STF, of cos to do that, you have to be train under STF affiliated clubs, and apply right after you passed Dan grading. Most would just stick to standard STF cert.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Serendipity » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm

peasants wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm
Serendipity wrote:
peasants wrote:
I guess its more for rankings in international competitions. So if really want Kukkiwon cert with STF logo, apply thru STF, of cos to do that, you have to be train under STF affiliated clubs, and apply right after you passed Dan grading. Most would just stick to standard STF cert.
Thank you for the useful info!!

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 am

peasants wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:11 pm
DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:15 pm
As long as a club don't mind having an assistant that did not go through Poomsae Coach Course, she can skip the course.

But most of bigger clubs will only employ those with certification only.
Oh..I don't think is that kind of formal coaching. This assistant assist on admin work, logistics type.

Real coach need at least senior belt and master course.
I agreed with you. I believe all coaches should be those with experience.

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 am

darwinkoh wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 pm
DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:18 pm
Hi Darwinkoh,

What certificate are you referring to? For TKD, it goes by belts.
I mean some sorts of paper documentation. My kids are having PSLE next year... thus would like to stop a while. Will probably comes back when they are around 14+ years old to practice again before they could convert their poom to dan belts. Thus it would be good if they could have a certificate to show that they have passed certain levels other than solely rely on the cards (which remains in the possession of the school). The certificates would allow them to include this skill in their report books as well. Can they request to take back the cards?
While trying for their black tip, the school would come out with funny excuses not to pass them. Thus I afraid that there would not be any verification to their levels when they return from the break (e.g. cards lose or cannot be found etc.). This would also allow them to try in another school.
They would be taking a rather long leave... (2-3 years) cos I prefer them to take up another form of martial art (defensive type e.g. Akido) in the meanwhile before they return to take up TKD again to convert their poom to dan.
Thanks.
If you are planning to go away for a while or transfer to a different school, yes, you can request from your current school for your kid grading card. They cannot reject your request.

Normally, I will recommend clearing the blacktip first before the break. In order to clear blacktip, you need to demo Taeguek Pal-Jang and one more pattern from Taeguek O-Jang to Taeguek Chil-Jang. That means your kid needs to practice 4 different Taeguek and know it at his back of his head. Not to mention, 360 turning kick followed by a back thrust.

After a break, you might need to re-practice and gain all this back before your grading again. it might take as long as 6 months till 2 years effort again.

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 am

peasants wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 pm
DavidFhu wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:43 pm
oplo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

google cannot find "Singapore Taekowndo Foundation", is it Federation you referring to? So Singapore TaeKwonDo Academy is not recognised by SAF ?
Yes, it is the Singapore Taekwondo Federation. Refer to Ong Ye Kung, The Taekwondo badge – For all vocations, so long as the serviceman or servicewoman achieves a 1st Dan black belt through an SAF-recognised local civilian club. Typically involves two and a half years of training. But nowhere mention what are the SAF-recognised local civilian club.
I just submitted STF poom cert to HQ NCC. Await for their reply. Can't help to think if the girls continue in STF, could have being
3rd poom by now.
I am thinking of moving to STA, or ITF after I gain my black belt too. I am looking for a higher level of training, than just as sport or game.

darwinkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by darwinkoh » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:40 am

DavidFhu wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 am
darwinkoh wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 pm
DavidFhu wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:18 pm
Hi Darwinkoh,

What certificate are you referring to? For TKD, it goes by belts.
I mean some sorts of paper documentation. My kids are having PSLE next year... thus would like to stop a while. Will probably comes back when they are around 14+ years old to practice again before they could convert their poom to dan belts. Thus it would be good if they could have a certificate to show that they have passed certain levels other than solely rely on the cards (which remains in the possession of the school). The certificates would allow them to include this skill in their report books as well. Can they request to take back the cards?
While trying for their black tip, the school would come out with funny excuses not to pass them. Thus I afraid that there would not be any verification to their levels when they return from the break (e.g. cards lose or cannot be found etc.). This would also allow them to try in another school.
They would be taking a rather long leave... (2-3 years) cos I prefer them to take up another form of martial art (defensive type e.g. Akido) in the meanwhile before they return to take up TKD again to convert their poom to dan.
Thanks.
If you are planning to go away for a while or transfer to a different school, yes, you can request from your current school for your kid grading card. They cannot reject your request.

Normally, I will recommend clearing the blacktip first before the break. In order to clear blacktip, you need to demo Taeguek Pal-Jang and one more pattern from Taeguek O-Jang to Taeguek Chil-Jang. That means your kid needs to practice 4 different Taeguek and know it at his back of his head. Not to mention, 360 turning kick followed by a back thrust.

After a break, you might need to re-practice and gain all this back before your grading again. it might take as long as 6 months till 2 years effort again.
Noted. Thanks.

DavidFhu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by DavidFhu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Serendipity wrote:
peasants wrote:
Refer to http://www.stf.sg/kukkiwon-certification

The STF encourages all its poom and black belt holders, especially those who wish to participate in international competitions and seminars, to apply for Kukkiwon certification.

Those who are interested to apply for Kukkiwon certification should apply through their respective clubs. The current rates including administrative fees are as follows.

1st dan - S$125.00
2nd dan - S$160.00
3rd dan - S$210.00
4th dan - S$265.00
5th dan - S$525.00
6th dan - S$615.00
7th dan - S$790.00

All qualified members of STF-affiliated clubs should apply for the certification immediately after the announcement of their grading results so that they will not lose out in their Kukkiwon ranking seniority.

For example if you obtain your 1st dan in January 2009 and 2nd dan in January 2010, you cannot apply for 2nd dan Kukkiwon in 2010 if you do not have a 1st dan Kukkiwon. In that case, you have to apply for your 1st dan in January 2010 and wait for January 2011 before you can apply for the next grade. That means you will be 1 year, in term of Kukkiwon grade, behind your contemporaries who had applied.

Kukkiwon certificates issued through the STF bear the signatures of both the Kukkiwon President and STF President. Kukkiwon certificates without the signature of the STF President are not recognized by the STF. And holders of such certificates will not receive the support and/or recommendation of STF for participation at competitions, courses and other activities organized or sanctioned by the following organizations:

International Olympic Committee
Asian Olympic Council
World Taekwondo Federation
Asian Taekwondo Union
Asean Taekwondo Federation