All About Taekwondo

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
Post Reply
peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 02,
Total Likes:29

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:33 pm

Below from ActiveSG.

Compared to WTF, the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) style is more traditional. Protective gear is sometimes optional, but padding is required during sparring matches. The protective gear used also differs: ITF frequently employs a head guard, shin guards, gloves, and groin guard, while WTF utilizes the hogu, forearm guards, groin guard and head guard. Padding in WTF taekwondo is also thicker, as it is a full-contact sport, while ITF is only semi-contact with full-powered strikes disallowed.

Additionally, punches to the face and head are allowed under the IT while they are forbidden in WTF taekwondo, due to WTF’s perception that kicks are stronger and better. Hence, WTF favours kicks whereas ITF encourages participants to hone both their kicks and hand strikes.

Melanieshumsl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 12,

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Melanieshumsl » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:34 am

Does anyone have any views or opinions on K Tigers which is opening at United Square? Was thinking of checking them out as it's near our house. Thanks in advance.

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 16,
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by sob7 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Melanieshumsl wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:34 am
Does anyone have any views or opinions on K Tigers which is opening at United Square? Was thinking of checking them out as it's near our house. Thanks in advance.
Kind of crowded with 2 TKD centers in that area (KTMA and Taeseong)
K Tigers are a famous group in Korea that mix TKD with K Pop, this is a franchise I would think.
Not sure the fees though, but as I said there are the above two that is also walking distance, so can compare and go for trial classes.

Side note K Tigers Zero will be in town 22nd Feb for concert

Shek
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 26,

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Shek » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello! Can someone give me ideas where is the best taekwondo workshop can my child enroll? He really wants to play taekwondo and he said it's also for self-defense. Thank you!

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 16,
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by sob7 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Shek wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:25 pm
Hello! Can someone give me ideas where is the best taekwondo workshop can my child enroll? He really wants to play taekwondo and he said it's also for self-defense. Thank you!
Workshop or school?I don't think there is a workshop(short term) but most schools offer trial classes
Its a long commitment from white to poom belt ( 4 years at least)

Where do you live and how old is your child?So can provide some suggestions


Melanieshumsl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 12,

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Melanieshumsl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:30 am

sob7 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:28 pm
Melanieshumsl wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:34 am
Does anyone have any views or opinions on K Tigers which is opening at United Square? Was thinking of checking them out as it's near our house. Thanks in advance.
Kind of crowded with 2 TKD centers in that area (KTMA and Taeseong)
K Tigers are a famous group in Korea that mix TKD with K Pop, this is a franchise I would think.
Not sure the fees though, but as I said there are the above two that is also walking distance, so can compare and go for trial classes.

Side note K Tigers Zero will be in town 22nd Feb for concert
thank you for your reply - much appreciated. I have signed my son up for trial lesson with KTMA and also K Tigers. Will also check out Taeseong. Cheers,

CerlynR
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Mar 08,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by CerlynR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm

My child is very interested in taekwondo so I've decided to enroll him in a taekwondo clinic. I see that he has potential and skill in this sport so I won't stop him from doing what he loved. I will continue to support him as long as I live in order that he will become one of the best athlete in the country.. I'm looking for a clinic, any suggestions?

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 16,
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by sob7 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am

CerlynR wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm
My child is very interested in taekwondo so I've decided to enroll him in a taekwondo clinic. I see that he has potential and skill in this sport so I won't stop him from doing what he loved. I will continue to support him as long as I live in order that he will become one of the best athlete in the country.. I'm looking for a clinic, any suggestions?
Wow such a supportive parent!

Several things that you might want to consider when you look for a school,

1)Location ( might not an issue if you have transport)
2)Participation in local competitions ( to be the best, he has to beat the best)
3)What is the school's strength?Poomsae or Kyorugi ( pattern or sparring, in layman terms)

Most of the well known schools are located in central/south/east areas, they can offer trials classes so you can arrange to attend with your child to see which one is the best fit( ambience,coach and offers)

From personal experience, not all big schools are good as the coach to student ratio is not ideal.
It's difficult to suggest if I do not know your location roughly

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 02,
Total Likes:29

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:20 am

wkg wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:01 am
peasants wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:31 pm
Puritysoul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:47 pm



Hello, just happen to saw this post by chance. I am a Taekwondo coach myself (volunteer) at a community club. Just for your info, for 1st to 2nd poom, the poomsae that your son just have to learn are actually Taeguek Yuk Jang to Koryo... (This is in accordance to STF's grading requirements found on their website)

Only when they take their 3rd Poom would they need to learn from Taegeuk Il Jang to Keum gang (2nd Poom pattern).
Although it is encouraged for them to know all their patterns... I understand from many of my students that it is difficult to learn all of them in a short span of time. Hope this helps and all the best for your son's grading.
Wow, can advise if I am holding black tip years back and wanted to go for black belt, what are the patterns and defence I have to go thru?

First of all you will have to know blue belt (Oh-jang) to black tip (Pal-jang). Grading kick will be tornado kick followed by back thrust kick. Sparring will be 3 rounds, timing depends on the examiners on that day. Will be required to memorise and recite STF pledge. After that will be a round of interview, which is open ended for adults / those going for centralised grading. Hope it helps! :) And goodluck all the best
I still can't believe I had rejoined STF after stopped for 7 years. So called 7 years itch. I aimed for next grade then start ITF like my children. Maybe not the same class as them, they would sure suan the old man.

WMont25
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by WMont25 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Visit any community centre in your neighbourhood and you’ll be sure to find kids of all ages and sizes adopting strong, confident stances in white martial arts uniforms. Taekwondo is a Korean martial art form that combines combat and self-defence moves to develop speed, strength, and balance. It’s sure to help boost your child’s self-confidence too.

Our picks: Trifecta Martial Arts, at three locations (River Valley, Novena and Bukit Timah), p. 6733 1034 for the River Valley branch, e. rv@trifecta.com.sg; JH Kim Taekwondo Singapore, at two locations (Millenia Walk and Katong), e. info@jhkim-singapore.com

Post Reply