racket sports

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

racket sports

Postby fristrom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:21 pm

What would be a good age to introduce kids to racket sports? Can anyone recommend place to learn how to play badminton, tennis, in small groups? Thanks.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Usually CCs with the facilities will have classes :)

Or you can gather a few children or families to play for fun.

I think a good age to start racket sports is 3-4yo. My 2.5yo son seems to show interest in badminton :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:36 pm

hmm, 3 year old can play?? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luckystar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:35 am

I suggest you go visits the sports hall, cc and clubs nearby, check out the classes. There are many badminton classes that group by the age of the child, or some by skill. Go and check out with the coach.

The earlier the better !

Sport is one of the alternative route to enter top school in secondary by DSA, and primary by transfer if the kid play well and win in the competition.

Hope this info help.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sleepy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

I think the child should attain a certain height before learning racket sport. Probably around 1.3m?

If too short, when swinging the racket, tendency of racket hitting the floor is rather high

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luckystar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 am

There are rackets specially for kids. don worry.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby astronomer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:59 am

When my kids were 3-4yo and started playing badminton, I was getting good workouts from picking shuttle-cock from the floor. :lol:
A good rally would consist of 3 touches of the racket (a serve and two returns - but depending on who is serving). Only started to have fun when dd was 8-9yo. Still most of her strokes are over-head forehand shots and fails when it comes to a back-hand or upward lift. It depends on individual actually - my friend's son who is in P5, would probably beat me in a game.

They do sell kid's badminton racket with shorter shaft and grip.

astronomer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fristrom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

luckystar wrote:I suggest you go visits the sports hall, cc and clubs nearby, check out the classes. There are many badminton classes that group by the age of the child, or some by skill. Go and check out with the coach.

The earlier the better !

Thanks for the input. I have looked around for badminton. Most places take kids in at 6, a few at 5 and I only found one that takes kids at 4. For tennis, some places can take in kids quite young (below 3) but I think they are not using the regular tennis ball but some softer version.

As with whether earlier the better, I am not so sure. First, young kids don't have the concentration nor the coordination. Secondly, I am concerned that starting them too young may not be good for the kids physiological development either.

Anyway, it is good to hear the experience from astronomer: thanks for sharing. We used to bring our baby on the stroller to the badminton court so that we can play... just can't wait when the child can play with us :D

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fattysuperfamily » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 pm

fristrom wrote:
luckystar wrote:I suggest you go visits the sports hall, cc and clubs nearby, check out the classes. There are many badminton classes that group by the age of the child, or some by skill. Go and check out with the coach.

The earlier the better !

Thanks for the input. I have looked around for badminton. Most places take kids in at 6, a few at 5 and I only found one that takes kids at 4. For tennis, some places can take in kids quite young (below 3) but I think they are not using the regular tennis ball but some softer version.

As with whether earlier the better, I am not so sure. First, young kids don't have the concentration nor the coordination. Secondly, I am concerned that starting them too young may not be good for the kids physiological development either.

Anyway, it is good to hear the experience from astronomer: thanks for sharing. We used to bring our baby on the stroller to the badminton court so that we can play... just can't wait when the child can play with us :D

IMHO, better select just one of the 2 racket sports - tennis or badminton for a start and not both...reason being that the strokes and way of grapping the rackets are different...otherwise, may risk getting injured or jack of all sports, master of none...jut my 2 cents...

fattysuperfamily
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby oclet » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 am

if a child has talent, it doesn't really matter what age they start, but not too late though.... 8/9 years old is appropriate. during their early days, explore them to various sports and get the fundamentals right. all sports require largely common fundamentals such as good footwork, hand-leg-eye coordination, ......

oclet
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics