All About Wushu

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: All About Wushu

Post by micollh » Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 am

is there grading for wushu? anyone can share ?

LDmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by LDmom » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:49 am

Hi fellow parents, does anyone have a good recommendation at Bukit Panjang/CCK area?
I've signed up my 5.5yo at a CC based wushu class for about 4-5 wks already, but I don't quite like the way the class is conducted. Find that there are way too many kids (I've to agree the fees are very cheap) but not enough coach to focus on really teaching the child the accurate wushu skills. Yet they are required to go for so-called grading every few months at a fee, which I'm quite doubtful of the skills the child will really qualify at that level of belt-color.
TIA!

extraterrestrial
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by extraterrestrial » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:06 pm

micollh wrote:is there grading for wushu? anyone can share ?
Yes, there is. In fact, my son has taken his grading exams twice. And will be taking his 3rd one this Sunday.

White belt is the basic, followed by yellow then orange, and so on until they obtain the black belt. After the black belt, they can consider taking up instructor belt. Once they have the instructor belt, they can start to teach wushu.

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by micollh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:45 am

extraterrestrial wrote:
Yes, there is. In fact, my son has taken his grading exams twice. And will be taking his 3rd one this Sunday.

White belt is the basic, followed by yellow then orange, and so on until they obtain the black belt. After the black belt, they can consider taking up instructor belt. Once they have the instructor belt, they can start to teach wushu.
thk you for sharing !

darwinkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by darwinkoh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:50 am

extraterrestrial wrote:

My kids are 2.5yrs into Wushu. Have taken 2 tests. Only 1 test promote them from white to blue belt. The other for san duan dao dun award them any new belt. Currently they are doing si duan gun. Understand that there will be a test a year-end to promote them from blue to green if they can pass it.
The problem with Wushu is that there seemed to be no common standard in Singapore. What they learn at the CC is quite different from their classmates in school. They are currently doing Taekwando as well. TKD is rather standardised... grading is per quarter and the strokes tested seemed to be more uniformed throughout locally.

garlicmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by garlicmummy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:59 pm

The wushu grading and belt colour is more for the non-competitive wushu circle. If a child is in competitive wushu, then he or she will probably be competing at inter school competitions or even national competitions. Most of the medallists may not have been “graded” at all. Competitors are judged and given points according to specific rules (and the rules may change from time to time). As wushu is somewhat like performing art, you will see quite a few competitors performing similar routine (taolu) at a competition but individual execution may be different. Thus, it may be tough to define the level one is at for Wushu. The grading may not equate much at competitive level, but after all, it is really you yourself to decide what ‘level’ you’re happy and comfortable with. :smile:

KSPRAY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by KSPRAY » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:26 pm

Any good wushu school in SengKang for 12 yr old?

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by pokoyoko » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Does anyone know where to get those warrior shoes (at a better price)? Anyone orders online? PM me if you know any lobang please!

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by pokoyoko » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Does anyone know where to get those warrior shoes (at a better price)? Anyone orders online? PM me if you know any lobang please!

mkw
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mkw » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:45 am

What is the youngest age for Wushu, is 2 year old too young?