All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
khbwwhhia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Gymnastics

Post by khbwwhhia » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:26 pm

My DD is p6 this year and very passionate about artistic gymnastics but she only started last year so she is only level 1. That means she probably cannot dsa to sec school with gymnastics right? If she can get a high enough score for that sec school, she cannot join the cca right?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:48 am

In your situation, you cannot enter the school by DSA (u can try DSA, but school won't select your girl), but still can enter the Sec school, via psle t score.

After entering the secondary school, through T-score, in Sec 1, there is an audition for gymnastics. Once your girl can clear gym audition, she can take-up gym Cca, in Sec school. If the selection panel feel that your girl has potential, they will let her join in Sec 1.

Since your girl in P6 doing gym now, She can ask her Seniors or gym Tr around : when is roughly the audition period in that Sec school, that she is keen to go to, or another question is, which are the Secondary schools that invite Sec 1 audition ? From her Seniors & gym Training Teachers that train her in AG, she should be able to glean information. Audition should be held in January, beginning of the year.

One more important thing to note. In Artistic gymnastics (AG), there are Sports risks, involved. Be very clear about the type of risks, before as a parent, u agree to let her take up AG, because some of us had tried AG before in primary school, and decided to opt out of AG mid-way (after injury) and chose some other "safer" Sports, instead.
Last edited by phtthp on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

ryka
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by ryka » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:49 am

khbwwhhia wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:26 pm
My DD is p6 this year and very passionate about artistic gymnastics but she only started last year so she is only level 1. That means she probably cannot dsa to sec school with gymnastics right? If she can get a high enough score for that sec school, she cannot join the cca right?
Frankly, to stand a chance for DSA AG you will need level 3+ or level 4 is better. Reason is NSG (inter school) competition for secondary level starts from level 4. It is very hard or almost impossible to reach level 4 from level 1 in 1-2 years.
Even if you go in to secondary school by t-score, please check with the school if they are willing to take recreational AG students for CCA (due to injury risk).

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Also depend on which Secondary school, it is.

If is those Secondary school only interested in grooming students for competition, they won't consider

But if is those Sec school that offer AG for recreation, they can hold audition in Sec 1 for pupils, with little or zero AG background.

sweetz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sweetz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi,
May I ask any of your child is with KGA?
I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

DTLC
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by DTLC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:40 am

meilingtan wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 am
Poonie wrote:Liliana Pink

Bt Timah.........ok I know of this coach who charges very reasonable rate and teaches near Coronation in one of the evenings. I will check with her if she can take you in for that evening class as that class are for more experienced gymnasts. Do you have some prior training or absolutely none? Are you in for recreation or competition cos she is coaching for competition. She will ask me these questions.

There is also Tiong Bahru CC where a reputable coach teaches on weekends. That class is more for recreation.

Alternatively you can go for private coaching by a former National Champion and judge. She teaches at Sengkang but may consider travelling to your place and do 1 to 1. Very patient and focused in her training. She also uses this VibroStretch Technique which is especially effective for late beginner as one will be able to do the split after 1 to 2 sessions on the Vibrogym machine. My daughter could touch the floor after 2 sessions when she was previously always a good 10cm away. Really frustrating for her. For the vibrogym facility you don't have to travel all the way to Sengkang. It is available at Newton.

Let me know which you are more interested in and I can let you have the contact details. For the coronation class I have to get back to you. Help me answer those questions above. Cheers.

May i have the contact of the national champion and judge?
Hi, May I have the contact of the national champion an judge ?

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by RoastChickenDance » Fri May 24, 2019 5:09 am

crystal535
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by crystal535 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi parents here. My P1 DS has been selected for the training team in school. And the training require 3hrs x 3 days a week. The problem is, most of the participants are girls. Does it feel strange for my son to join? Is gymnastic suitable for boy even they grow up to upper level?
Anyone can enlighten me with info. Thanks so much!

TOMOX
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by TOMOX » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi. I am new here.

My 4 years old daughter is interested RG.
May I know if there is any class near Punggol?

I thought maybe Senkang sports center has it, but I can not find the class in active SG or onePA.

TOMOX
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by TOMOX » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi. I am new here.

My 4 years old daughter is interested RG.
May I know if there is any class near Punggol?

I thought maybe Senkang sports center has it, but I can not find the class in active SG or onePA.